Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA press release: No more pillows on MD-80's

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

AA press release: No more pillows on MD-80's

So I just flew from DFW to SFO this morning in first on the MD80. At the start of the flight, the flight attendant wanted to make sure we all had pillows. She then told us to appreciate them now since after the 15th there will no longer be pillows onboard in either first or coach. Blankets will remain, however. Can anyone confirm this nonsense? Is AA really eliminating pillows?
Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:38 pm
Suspended

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=pillows
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=pillows
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
those things are disgusting anyway
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Silver, Marriott Silver
An AAmenities kit from my next overseas flight for the first to identify the following movie lines, including movie title, character and actor names...hint, it is the right time of year to watch this movie again...

"Where is your other hand?"

"Between two pillows."

"Those aren't pillows!"
Old Nov 14, 2004, 3:45 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Even for international flights?

AA, I am really disappointed!!
Old Nov 14, 2004, 3:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by BIGTRAVLR
An AAmenities kit from my next overseas flight for the first to identify the following movie lines, including movie title, character and actor names...hint, it is the right time of year to watch this movie again...

"Where is your other hand?"

"Between two pillows."

"Those aren't pillows!"
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!!!

Steve Martin .... Neal Page
John Candy .... Del Griffith
Old Nov 14, 2004, 6:53 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I know CX removed pillows for a while during SARS. Personally, I place them on the leg rests because I've always wondered whether or not the covers were replaced after every flight. Oh well....
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:38 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Last night I watched a grown man put his face into a pillow. Gross! Even as back support, they're rather worthless. Millions of microscopic bugs will miss riding on a plane.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:21 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!!!

Steve Martin .... Neal Page
John Candy .... Del Griffith

We have a winner!!!
Old Nov 16, 2004, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC, FT <30y
Originally Posted by hedoman
Last night I watched a grown man put his face into a pillow. Gross! Even as back support, they're rather worthless. Millions of microscopic bugs will miss riding on a plane.
I doubt they are changed after evey flight. Lately in F the blankets and pillows are visibly dirty with hairs on them. No thanks....they are usually in the way anyways. ^
Old Nov 16, 2004, 7:44 pm

I've been lucky to have fresh blankets shrinkwrapped in plastic for every J flight. Luck or standard procedure? (All 762/763 transcons).

Originally Posted by ENSANERIDE
I doubt they are changed after evey flight. Lately in F the blankets and pillows are visibly dirty with hairs on them. No thanks....they are usually in the way anyways. ^
Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:58 am
SK

Several articles carrying the AP story about AA's official announcement on this issue today. Here is an excerpt from the Miami Herald article:

"The Fort Worth-based airline this week removed pillows from its 334 MD-80s in a move expected to save time and money by enabling workers to clean the cabins faster, said spokesman Tim Wagner.

The pillows will be relocated to its other planes, Wagner said. The airline doesn't plan to remove pillows on other aircraft.

MD-80 passengers should be able to use the adjustable headrests in place of the pillows, he said."
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by wrose99
I've been lucky to have fresh blankets shrinkwrapped in plastic for every J flight. Luck or standard procedure? (All 762/763 transcons).
Several years ago a cunsumer organization collected blankets from a dozen or more international airlines (globally) from their first, business and coach cabins and "tested" them. Everything from warmth, size, cleanliness, etc.

They discovered that even if shrink wrapped the blankets may not be clean, and at least one airline spokesperson admitted that they visually inspected blankets to decide whether to launder them or not before re-wrapping. Some airlines did launder every single blanket, but most did not.

DAK
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:21 am

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
Originally Posted by dkerr
Several years ago a cunsumer organization collected blankets from a dozen or more international airlines (globally) from their first, business and coach cabins and "tested" them. Everything from warmth, size, cleanliness, etc.

They discovered that even if shrink wrapped the blankets may not be clean, and at least one airline spokesperson admitted that they visually inspected blankets to decide whether to launder them or not before re-wrapping. Some airlines did launder every single blanket, but most did not.

DAK
That's like the 20/20 expose's on hotel rooms. It seems the more upscale the hotel, the more "things" were found under the blue light and microscope.

I remember on a layover, needing an extra towel so I went to the maid who was cleaning the room next door, and as I walked in, she had just finished using the scrubber brush on the toilet and went to directly to the bath tub
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
AA Cutting Pillows on Super 80's!

Breaking News:

AA is removing all pillows from Super 80's. The story is on yahoo.com news.

But don't worry, the Super 80 is only used on short flights, the AA spokesperson says. Yeah right, like those "short" 4.5 hour flights from ORD/DFW-SEA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.