Search

Dinner :) HPN-ORD, you gotta hear this.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2004, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Dinner :) HPN-ORD, you gotta hear this.

Howdy,

I asked my travel agent (company travel agent) about my flight tonight before I left the office. She told me it showed Dinner in First.

Nice I thought. I checked my record and sure enough it was listed as "Dinner" (not "Snack")...

I grabbed 6E (flight 755) and settled in.

There were no choices. Dinner consisted of the following:

1. Some grapes (red and white) - they were nice, I like grapes and I'm not picky about them - but these were nice.

2. Two very small round little cheese, not real good - but not bad.

3. One package of water crackers (only 3 crackers) - quite nice as crackers go, could have used another package with the cheese don't ya know.

4. Two small dried apple slices, 1 small dried apricot, 2 small dried figs - nice enough.

5. Two cookies - not bad.

Here's the weird part

5. A large container (4oz) of marinara sauce.

No one could figure that one out.

As a snack, this was fine. As dinner it was paltry.

All it all it was ok - but what on earth was the gravy for??

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Nov 12, 2004, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by Pakse
Howdy,

As a snack, this was fine. As dinner it was paltry.

All it all it was ok - but what on earth was the gravy for??
For the fried cheese sticks that was the main course but eaten by the caterer.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL, AA, HH, UA
That wasn't marinara sauce, that was a cup of GAZPACHO.

Cheese, fruit plate, soup, & cookies for dessert - sounds like AA full meal!
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:39 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
I think the idea behind it is to allow the passenger to create his/her own dish. Take all the ingredients provided and create your own. If you had come prepared with say some cooked pasta, you would've been all set for an excellent dinner .
Old Nov 13, 2004, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I too have "enjoyed" this strange tray of sample sized niblets on several occaisions on this flight. The F/As have commented more than once that they had never seen anything like it nor did they understand it!

My guess is that there isnt catering at HPN so they have to round-trip the catering from ORD..... Grapes, cookies and random sauce/soups wont spoil!
Old Nov 13, 2004, 6:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM
I had several trips from FAT-DFW over the last 3 months that had a 2:30 PM departure. This snack tray was served each time. The first time it was presented, the FA made a really big deal about how she was "embarrassed to have to serve this." I thought it was great. Never did figure out what the sauce was for.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8M, Marriott PLT, *wood GLD, Bombay Sapphire
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
I too have "enjoyed" this strange tray of sample sized niblets on several occaisions on this flight. The F/As have commented more than once that they had never seen anything like it nor did they understand it!

My guess is that there isnt catering at HPN so they have to round-trip the catering from ORD..... Grapes, cookies and random sauce/soups wont spoil!
I have flown this route a dozen times this year. My understanding from talking with the flight crew is that the catering for the return HPN-ORD is flown in on the ORD-HPN flight (because of the lack of catering at HPN), and the meal selection is designed to "survive" long delays without refrigeration.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:59 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
I think the idea behind it is to allow the passenger to create his/her own dish. Take all the ingredients provided and create your own. If you had come prepared with say some cooked pasta, you would've been all set for an excellent dinner .
Almost right. Actually, it's part of the Mensa quiz from American Way magazine. Sort of a "fill in the missing menu item" thingy.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:22 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Almost right. Actually, it's part of the Mensa quiz from American Way magazine. Sort of a "fill in the missing menu item" thingy.
^
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
If it makes you feel any better, my schedule never lets me take the 737....I'm stuck sitting on the CRJ, dinner last night was spectacular on that.. I had a great bag of peanuts.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:42 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
If it makes you feel any better, my schedule never lets me take the 737....I'm stuck sitting on the CRJ, dinner last night was spectacular on that.. I had a great bag of peanuts.

What? No gravy?
Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Talking

"Dinner HPN-ORD, you gotta hear this."??

shouldn't it be: "reAAd this," not "hear this?"

Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
ROTFLMAO!

I always make a point to bring cooked pasta with me when flying AA domestic!
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JustAAnotherTrAAveler
I had several trips from FAT-DFW over the last 3 months that had a 2:30 PM departure. This snack tray was served each time. The first time it was presented, the FA made a really big deal about how she was "embarrassed to have to serve this." I thought it was great. Never did figure out what the sauce was for.
Bingo! FAT and HPN are both stations without caterers. However, airlines (even AA) have in the past done better than a "wierd" snack plate. There are various ways to keep meals refrigerated for several hours. However, today's cost cutting, Walmart loving environment does not allow airlines the luxury of decent meals out of "non-catered" airports.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Mix it with hot water to make a rich, creamy tomato soup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.