Program to Date Miles: 79,505
YTD Elite Qualifying Points: 33,331
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles: 35,972
YTD Gold / Platinum Qualifying Segments: 28
Miles Towards Gold / Platinum / Executive Platinum Upgrades: 16,616
Miles with Expiration Deferred Through 11/05/07: 64,505
Upgrade Account Balance: 8
Total Available Award Mileage + 64,505

I was just bumped from Gold to Platinum. My understanding is that you have to hit 50K EQM to move up. I'm not complaining, but any idea why I got bumped up? I did go over 50K total award miles this past month, but my understanding is that the Elite Status is all based on Qualifying Miles, not program miles or available award miles.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 04, 2:37 am

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
Seeing as you don't have either 50k points or miles, I'd assume you were enrolled in the Plat. challenge at some point and qualified through that. Otherwise I can't see any reason why you would have been given Plat. yet.
Old Nov 12, 04, 7:25 am

Sometimes status randomly changes if AA thinks you could be a good FFer. A good friend of mine flew two full fare round trips IAD-DFW, which is like 7k points and less miles and one day the status just turnd to gold.
Old Nov 12, 04, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dspringer28
Sometimes status randomly changes if AA thinks you could be a good FFer. A good friend of mine flew two full fare round trips IAD-DFW, which is like 7k points and less miles and one day the status just turnd to gold.
That strikes me as unlikely in the OP's case-- although his points are roughly = his miles, so who knows. My bet would be that he was signed up for Plat. challenge somehow.
Old Nov 12, 04, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That strikes me as unlikely in the OP's case-- although his points are roughly = his miles, so who knows. My bet would be that he was signed up for Plat. challenge somehow.
Occassionally, AA will sign you up for a Platinum Challenge without you asking for it. YOu probably got an email telling you, "Get to Platinum status faster"
Old Nov 12, 04, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Aha

Yes it looks like it was because I was enrolled in a challenge -- if I look at my history, I see that I was awarded points for both Gold and Platinum Challenge in the past few months. Of course I never signed up for a challenge, so I didn't notice this.

Looks like AA is taking care of me without me having to do anything. Cool.

Now, how do I get to EXP?
Old Nov 12, 04, 10:13 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Fly another 65,000 miles!
Old Nov 12, 04, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by beachdog
Yes it looks like it was because I was enrolled in a challenge -- if I look at my history, I see that I was awarded points for both Gold and Platinum Challenge in the past few months. Of course I never signed up for a challenge, so I didn't notice this.

Looks like AA is taking care of me without me having to do anything. Cool.
AA was doing that earlier this year. They signed me up for both challenges back in August, even though my previous history was limited to 3-4 flights a year. Thanks to the challenge, and my FT co-worker it was easy to make PLT.

Re-qual? Now that's going to be fun.
Old Nov 12, 04, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Another hypothesis: Do you have a Canadian address by any chance? I "seem" to recall that Canadians only need 35,000 miles to make PLT - at least that's my recollection from the last time I heard. (But that was a while ago, so I don't trust my recollection or the information.)
Old Nov 12, 04, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Pooh
Another hypothesis: Do you have a Canadian address by any chance? I "seem" to recall that Canadians only need 35,000 miles to make PLT - at least that's my recollection from the last time I heard. (But that was a while ago, so I don't trust my recollection or the information.)
Is it the reverse exchange rate?
Old Nov 14, 04, 2:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, DL Gold, LP ex-Millionaire!
Does anyone know if this is still true? It my be worthwhile to use one of my Canadian relatives' address!
Old Nov 14, 04, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Here's the Canadian deal I was recalling -- it was a special offer from 2001. (Sorry.)

M I L E S & P O I N T S
AAdvantage Lowers Thresholds for Canadian Elites
================================================== ==
This year, AAdvantage members with mailing addresses in Canada can earn Gold or Platinum status for fewer miles.
Earn 18,000 miles or points (instead of the normal 25,000) by Dec. 31, 2001, to qualify for Gold status through Feb. 2003. And qualify for Platinum with 35,000 (instead of 50,000) miles or points through year's end.

The link is: http://www.frequentflier.com/ffc-051701.htm
Old Nov 14, 04, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephlac
Does anyone know if this is still true? It my be worthwhile to use one of my Canadian relatives' address!
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...light=canadian
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...light=canadian
Old Nov 16, 04, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat 1MM
Here's the Canadian deal I was recalling -- it was a special offer from 2001. (Sorry.)

M I L E S & P O I N T S
AAdvantage Lowers Thresholds for Canadian Elites
================================================== ==
This year, AAdvantage members with mailing addresses in Canada can earn Gold or Platinum status for fewer miles.
Earn 18,000 miles or points (instead of the normal 25,000) by Dec. 31, 2001, to qualify for Gold status through Feb. 2003. And qualify for Platinum with 35,000 (instead of 50,000) miles or points through year's end.

The link is: http://www.frequentflier.com/ffc-051701.htm
This was discontinued over 2 years ago. Canadians requalify the same way as everyone else, i.e. 25/50/100K per year. AA was counting on AC going under when they killed it, but has not reinstated this program since AC emerged from bankruptcy.
Old Nov 16, 04, 9:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
FYI. They will also work challenges if you have a ton of flying in a short period of time. Call them and let them know that you "thought" you were on a challenge and more often than not, they will bump you to the next tier. My wife just did that from Gold to Platinum last month. After two CSR, she got them to approve Platinum.

Search this Thread