FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Beware fare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/370140-beware-fare.html)

UncleDude Nov 9, 2004 10:55 am

Beware fare

Manchester-Orlando RT for Family member at Thanksgiving which I just tried to rebook for a later date.

No Refund...As expected

No Change...Now Thats New to me

No Refund of Taxes...Now Thats Robbery

:mad:

FWAAA Nov 9, 2004 11:41 am

Yikes. :td:

Reminds me of a transcon ticket I purchased a few years ago. I "held" the reservation on AA.com and went back early the next day to purchase it. To my surprise, AA.com said my fare had dropped by a few dollars. What luck.

Problem was, I was in a hurry and completed the purchase without printing out the fare rules AGAIN (as I had already printed them out the day before).

Big mistake. Turns out that AA.com substituted a "use it or lose it" special web-only fare for my normal L or N discount fare. My plan changed, I tried to change (willing to pay change fee, of course)the ticket, and was told "Sorry - you purchased a no-change fare. It's now worthless." This was long before the well-publicized "use it or lose it" rules that went into effect a couple years ago.

It took several letters to AA before I was able to re-use that ticket. :mad:

What galled me the most was that AA.com essentially did a "bait and switch" on me. I reserved a non-refundable fare that could be changed for the change fee, and when I hit "purchase," AA substituted an inferior product but only told me that it was 4 or 5 dollars cheaper than the one I'd reserved.

Arguably, I shared some blame for not reading the fare rules again. But when I hit "purchase," I intended to purchase what I had reserved the day before.

Fortunately, AA.com has never tried to pull that stunt on me since.

fly co to see the yanks Nov 9, 2004 11:57 am

how can an airline refuse to refund taxes? i would think this is dispute-able with the credit card company. how can an airline charge tax on a service that is never provided?

whirledtraveler Nov 9, 2004 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
how can an airline refuse to refund taxes? i would think this is dispute-able with the credit card company. how can an airline charge tax on a service that is never provided?

Yes, now that is where you pull out the bullhorn. Collecting taxes on an unused ticket has to be illegal.

fly co to see the yanks Nov 9, 2004 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Yes, now that is where you pull out the bullhorn. Collecting taxes on an unused ticket has to be illegal.

it's probably a bookkeeping issue with the airlines. i am not accusing them of pocketing the taxes, but not refunding tax on a service not performed has to be illegal.

UncleDude Nov 9, 2004 1:07 pm

By the way the taxes and fees were around $100, so I've asked Customer Service to follow The Fare rules 100%. There was a 10 minute schedule change after the reservation, and in accordance with the fare Rules, its refundable if there is a schedule change, yes I know about the unwritten 2 hours thing, just awaiting their reaction to my e-mail.