Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a new excuse for refusing a Rollover?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2004, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Is this a new excuse for refusing a Rollover?

On another BBS someone posted the following:

"I purchased two roundtrip tickets...on AA - JFK to Aruba on 10/19/04....The price had dropped form $886/pp to $704/pp so I purchased. On Friday, the price dropped again to $565/pp. I called AA and this was their excuse for NOT giving me the difference OR a refund.
"The current price you see today is for one way ticketing. Although the website doesn't reflect this. You purchased a round trip ticket...same flight I know...but this offer is for a oneway ticket even though it is for 2 one way tickets for 2 people."

The fare I purchased was a "special round trip fare". This is a "special one way fare" even though it is still a round trip."

I advised him to call back and try again. Here is that response:

"I was very nice and spoke to three different agents and all three said the same thing...then I asked for a supervisor and she said No. They all told me that although the flight is exactly the same....identical....one was offered as a round trip and one as a one way. This is AA's new policy so they don't have to give vouchers or refunds anymore."

I did get his permission to ask the knowledgable FTers if they had heard of this before. I did a search but didn't find anything specific to this excuse. Has anyone been told this before?

Pat H
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:14 pm

AA has recently stopped doing free rollovers, according to this thread that is currently on the second page.

Mike

Last edited by nako; Nov 7, 2004 at 10:14 pm Reason: bad code
Old Nov 8, 2004, 5:36 am
Original Poster

I know about the new policy but this ticket was purchased before that went in effect. My question was about the reason for the refusal to do the rollover to begin with.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:44 am

It's the policy. For a rollover to apply you have to follow the rules of the tkt you purchased. So if you purchased a fare that is based on roundtrip travel and AA offers a new lower fare based on roundtrip travel the rollover would apply, however in your case AA introduced a oneway fare that when combined with another oneway fare just happens to be lower than your roundtrip fare purchased. In other words Roundtrip fare to Roundtrip fare or Oneway fare to oneway fare rollover would apply, Roundtrip to a oneway fare no rollover.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying. Is there a way to find the comparable fare online or do you have to call?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:50 am

Programs: AA Plat
Could the person change the RT ticket to one of the one-way fares, get a voucher for the difference (-$100) and purchase the second one-way fare?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:03 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by killerbrew
Could the person change the RT ticket to one of the one-way fares, get a voucher for the difference (-$100) and purchase the second one-way fare?
Yeah the OP could cancel his ticket (take a voucher for the prices less $100) and buy whatever he wants

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.