Hey Arpey! What extras do you think I am getting for free?

Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:09 pm
J S
Original Poster

Hey Arpey! What extras do you think I am getting for free?

From USA Today on Thursday (http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/today/sky.htm):

"Got a good deal? Bye, bye freebies: American Airlines wants to charge fliers who buy its lowest fares for some of the "extras" they currently get for free. Few details were given, but CEO Gerard Arpey said the move is an effort to "drive incremental revenue" without raising fares, reports The Dallas Morning News (free registration). The carrier already has announced plans to charge $10-$12 for a new handheld entertainment system, and $5 for amenity kits on Tokyo flights."

So what "extras" does he currently think I am getting for free?
--A seat?
--Seat belt?
--Toilet paper?
--Surley flight attendant?
--Free time on the plane when the flight is delayed (or early and you cannot manage to get a gate ready)?
--Free weight loss when you decide to feed me nothing?

Gosh, now that I think about it, I sure am getting a lot of extras from American. It really would be appropriate for you to start charging, Arpey.

I flew United last night. Pleasant flight attendants. Economy plus was nice. Flights were early in both directions (and gates were ready for us). Ticket agents were helpful. Telephone was answered promptly even with no status. Aadvantage has been gutted. LRTC. I think that United sounds like a good option.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Would the amenity kits still be free on the Tokyo flights in F/C?
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by J S
So what "extras" does he currently think I am getting for free?
--A seat?
--Seat belt?
--Toilet paper?
--Surley flight attendant?
--Free time on the plane when the flight is delayed (or early and you cannot manage to get a gate ready)?
--Free weight loss when you decide to feed me nothing?
You call that stuff toilet paper???
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:56 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
It wasn't Arpey who said "free"

Gosh, now that I think about it, I sure am getting a lot of extras from American. It really would be appropriate for you to start charging, Arpey.

Re-read the statement, which actually was not in USA Today, and try to maintain some objectivity before you start hurling accusations at Arpey; what the piece said:

Got a good deal? Bye, bye freebies: American Airlines wants to charge fliers who buy its lowest fares for some of the "extras" they currently get for free. Few details were given, but CEO Gerard Arpey said the move is an effort to "drive incremental revenue" without raising fares

Note, too, that this was not in the print or even online edition of USA Today proper, but in Ben Mutzabaugh's excellent online blog, . And Mutzabuagh didn't attribute that statement to Arpey -- he included a snippet of an article from The Dallas Morning News in which DMN airline beat reporter Eric Torbensen wrote that phrase in his lede, then went to a separate, presumably supporting quote from Arpey.

The phrase "extras they currently get for free" is Torbensen's, not Arpey's. Arpey is saying enough things reported on this board that are making FTers angry; there is no need to inaccurately put words in his mouth.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 2:44 pm

2 Way Street

Ok so the airline wants to nickel and dime us for "extras."

How about making it a two way street? I want some part of my fare refunded or extra miles awarded when:

1.) Flight is cancelled for whatever reason and I am forced to change my plans.
2.) I arrive at my destination (gate) late.
3.) My seat doesn't recline or it won't stay upright.
4.) My IFE doesn't work
5.) The flight ends before Everyone loves Raymond does
6.) I have to get from one end of DFW to the other on a tight connection

I'm sure there are a ton more..............
Old Nov 5, 2004, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by sdix
I want some part of my fare refunded or extra miles awarded when:

5.) The flight ends before Everyone loves Raymond does
Actually, I might consider paying extra for AA not to show Everyone loves Raymond.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by mickwrites
[I]The phrase "extras they currently get for free" is Torbensen's, not Arpey's. Arpey is saying enough things reported on this board that are making FTers angry; there is no need to inaccurately put words in his mouth.
He just needs to shut up for a while. Don't do any more press conferences if they are going to continually misquote.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by J S
I flew United last night. Pleasant flight attendants. Economy plus was nice. Flights were early in both directions (and gates were ready for us). Ticket agents were helpful. Telephone was answered promptly even with no status. Aadvantage has been gutted. LRTC. I think that United sounds like a good option.

Believe me, United sucks.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:14 pm

double-edged sword

Originally Posted by WingNaPrayer
He just needs to shut up for a while. Don't do any more press conferences if they are going to continually misquote.
I see where you're coming from, but keep in mind that (a) it's not a misquote, it's a poorly written lead that was misread as being a quote and (b) if the very visible CEO of a major airline "just shuts up for a while," that would just scare the hell out of the Street, and AA's stock can't really stand any more hits.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:14 pm
J S
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mickwrites
Re-read the statement, which actually was not in USA Today, and try to maintain some objectivity before you start hurling accusations at Arpey; what the piece said:

Got a good deal? Bye, bye freebies: American Airlines wants to charge fliers who buy its lowest fares for some of the "extras" they currently get for free. Few details were given, but CEO Gerard Arpey said the move is an effort to "drive incremental revenue" without raising fares

Note, too, that this was not in the print or even online edition of USA Today proper, but in Ben Mutzabaugh's excellent online blog, . And Mutzabuagh didn't attribute that statement to Arpey
Ummm, how about the part where he wrote "CEO Gerard Arpey said..."

I wasn't there (and hazard to guess that none of us were). That's why I accurately sourced my info. As for whether it is in USA Today, that's the name of the website (which I also accurately included).

I did not put any words in his mouth other than those reported on USA Today's website.

-J S
Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:20 pm

Okay, here's what Arpey <b>said</b>, according to Torbensen. The entire rest (first part) of the graph, which was the subject line of this thread, is unsourced material from the beat writer:
CEO Gerard Arpey said the move is an effort to "drive incremental revenue"

That's it. I've actually seen a transcript, and Arpey never once even hinted that pax get "extras for free." Torbensen came up with that on his own.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
There are few, if any, things we get on AA for free that we do not get on WN (and don't forget that WN is toying with implementing assigned seats, thus making their service even more attractive than EasyJet and Ryan Air). I'm almost scared to ask what these things might be...or suggest on this forum, this giving AA ideas. Now, I might be interested in paying for new services that enhance my flying experience like the Tokyo Y Amenity kits, the entertainment, etc.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:31 pm

Before you know it, Arpey will have AA charging for fresh air (or resused air).

I had always felt in the past that AA was the one trying to take care of it's best customers and UA was the one who treated their best customers like crap. It's funny...now UA is bankrupt and AA is emulating what UA did before they went bankrupt while UA is now trying to take care of their customers so they can get back to profitability.

Funny how things work in this industry...I guess "what goes around comes around" is pretty applicable here.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:40 pm

I'm interested in the comment about charging fliers who "buy its lowest fares." The problem is that (other than with the hideous upgrade fee) they do a lousy job differentiating between those who pay exhorbitant full Y fares and those that buy discount fares. Last year on AC, for example, I was on a 3 hour flight right through dinner hours on a US$2,200 fare, and they had the gall to ask for $10 for a meal!

Come on - nickling and diming pax who have paid that much is absurd. There has to be a better way.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by Paulo
I'm interested in the comment about charging fliers who "buy its lowest fares." The problem is that (other than with the hideous upgrade fee) they do a lousy job differentiating between those who pay exhorbitant full Y fares and those that buy discount fares. Last year on AC, for example, I was on a 3 hour flight right through dinner hours on a US$2,200 fare, and they had the gall to ask for $10 for a meal!

Come on - nickling and diming pax who have paid that much is absurd. There has to be a better way.
Try flying last minute of AA's all-so-special "flying Greyhound bus" between DFW and LGA - $2,218.70 in coach, and now they plan to nickle and dime us on top of that - are they out of their friggin' minds?!>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.