Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No notification of itinerary change...common?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")
No notification of itinerary change...common?

I just happened to be reviewing three of my itineraries on AA.com and found that they had changed flights, including connecting cities, on all of them. I never got an email notification (or call) about these flight changes. Is this common, or perhaps not done as long as the first flight isn't changed? I do wind up getting in almost an hour later than planned. Not a big deal, but for some others it might be. Also, I actually gain a couple of hundred miles with the new routing.

Have any of you actually gotten burned by involuntary routing changes where you wound up losing miles you needed for the next status level? For future reference, will AA give you credit for the original routing miles if you request it?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
There was a thread here about this some time ago. I have been in both situations -- itinerary changed and I was notified and itinierary changed and I was not notified. I'm not sure if there's any rhyme or reason to it. Perhaps it is a glitch in the system. You ought to write them an e-mail and see what they say.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I am surprised that they didn't contact you, particularly as an EXP. I have always found them to be good at contacting me, even when I was a PLT. Maybe your theory is correct that they didn't contact you because your initial flight had not changed.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
One other observation: when I book direct thru aa.com, I get notifications directly. When I book through my corporate travel dept., I only get notified by them.

Once I had the family traveling w/me on part of a trip, and got their aa.com notification emails 2 days before travel called to tell me that they had "just" been informed...
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:19 am
Suspended

Notification is spotty at best and one of the reasons I check my reservations on aa.com very regularly. Sometimes there is a message in red when you log into the resevations page saying " your initinery has changed"

As to the second part of the question I have alway been able to get the as listed miles on the original trip by calling to Advantage customer services.
Done that 3 or so times so far this year.

mike
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:18 am
Suspended

there is a current thread running from mike in boston. his flight was cancelled the day before and AA never contAActed him (an EXP). while i realize it's somewhat different, it AApeAArs notificAAtion is spotty AAt best. i think this is odd since AAll electronic contAAct informAAtion is reAAdily AAvAAilAAble to AA through AA.com.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
When this happens, should you get a $100 change BONUS?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Notification is spotty at best and one of the reasons I check my reservations on aa.com very regularly. Sometimes there is a message in red when you log into the resevations page saying " your initinery has changed"
Notification does seem to happen haphazardly. I have actually received less notification this year as an EXP than in the previous years when I was PLT. (Luckily for me an exception occurred just last week when a wonderful agent hunted me down to notify me that my return flight had been rerouted - with a new departure time. I had planned to head to the airport at 4:30 am but that call from AA garnered me an extra three hours of sleep.)

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
As to the second part of the question I have alway been able to get the as listed miles on the original trip by calling to Advantage customer services. Done that 3 or so times so far this year.
I have also found this to be true and fairly simple to accomplish.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by mwhitted
When this happens, should you get a $100 change BONUS?
Great idea! ^
Have you submitted this to AA yet? Please let me know how they respond. I can't wait to cash in my bonuses.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:22 pm
tt7

In my experience, notification of itinerary changes is, at best, 'haphazard'. This is particularly true for international reservations that are some way off - it appears that AA simply doesn't bother to notify you until 'close' to departure date, if at all. For example, we have a TPA-NRT trip in December via SJC ..... no, change that, via LAX. Thanks for notifying me AA .... it was good of you to realize that, when you re-timed the flights TPA-DFW-SJC, it made the SJC connection illegal but when you re-routed us TPA-DFW-LAX-NRT, it would have been nice if you'd notified us....

..... particularly as changing routings or planes may screw up seat assignments. Some time back, someone pointed out that one of the DFW-LGW flights in 2005 had changed from a 777 to a 763. We have a January reservation so that prompted me to go and check. Sure enough, we're still in 31HJ .... but on a 763 not a 777 - thanks AA. What I learnt from that is to periodically re-check all open reservations.

Upgrade on a flight this coming Saturday cleared this morning - have I received the usual upgrade notification email? Nope.... so all of a sudden that one isn't working either. No big deal as I jumped on it early anyway to fix the seat assignments but previously the 'upgrade email' has always worked until today.

Reservation last year to Manchester, booked way in advance. Had seats 3DG on a 763 (second row, so non-bulkhead and in the middle so we both have aisles). Happened to check the reservation a month or so before travel - we're now in 3HJ, someone is in 3D and 3G is open. Call the EXP desk. Needless to say, when asked "didn't I make this change in Miami about 10 days ago?" the answer was a resounding "no". After some discussion, a phone call by the agent to who-knows-who and me refusing to take no for an answer, we get moved back to 3DG and the mystery guy in 3D gets moved to 4D.

The moral of all this is don't rely on AA to tell you about any changes to your reservation after you've made it. It may happen .... but as likely as not, it won't ..... so check, re-check .. and re-check again.

Last edited by tt7; Nov 2, 2004 at 2:24 pm
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, AA Gold
It happened to me 3 times this year. Thankfully, I check my itineraries often.
As a PLT, you think that AA would notify me... No such luck.

My mother is an AAdvantage member with NO status and she did get notified
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It used to be you'd get a notification at the top of your Itinerary page saying something along the lines of "There has been a schedule change to your reseservation, you will not be able to check-in online, please call this number." Now it seems they just change it without notifying you, I've had two reservations changed, the changes were relatively minor but it would be nice if it would flag my reservation like it did in the old days.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
It used to be you'd get a notification at the top of your Itinerary page saying something along the lines of "There has been a schedule change to your reseservation, you will not be able to check-in online, please call this number." Now it seems they just change it without notifying you, I've had two reservations changed, the changes were relatively minor but it would be nice if it would flag my reservation like it did in the old days.
Actually they still seem to do that, perhaps not all the time but I did get one such within the last 10 days.

mike
Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by tt7
Upgrade on a flight this coming Saturday cleared this morning - have I received the usual upgrade notification email? Nope.... so all of a sudden that one isn't working either.
Upgrade notification (email) is another service that has been hit or miss for
us for quite sometime. I've checked our contact info and all seems OK, so it's either an AA issue or it's my ISP filtering for a spam a bit too agressively.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I was scheduled to fly BOS-ORD-LAX this morning, but the BOS-ORD flight was cancelled due to ATC issues at ORD. I received three messages from AA: one at home, one at work and one on my cellphone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.