Wiki Posts
Search

AA #1762 on 10/18 - 7 hours on plane for 2.5 hr flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM: PLAT
AA #1762 on 10/18 - 7 hours on plane for 2.5 hr flight

I was on AA #1762 on 10/18, pushed back on time but incurred a mechanical problem, which turned out to be a ground sorter (or something like that) that was deemed could be disabled for us to fly (after 4 hours later!).

Needless to say, we sat on the plane from 9:30am CT until we departed at 1:45pm CT, arriving 2.5 hours later in Miami -- a total of 7 hours ON THE PLANE.

My questions are this: 1) Why didn't they exchange equipment? Most of the folks on the plane had connections to Barbados, Honduras, etc., which in the end, AA had to overnight in Miami those they couldn't accommodate. If they had the inability to obtain another piece of equipment, it would have been nice to advise us that that wasn't an option. Why wouldn't they have tried to reroute folks on other flights? 2) We spent an entire day on the plane -- they eventually brought on Bistro bags -- but for me, my business afternoon was wasted. Since MIA was my final stop, there wasn't any compensation that would be due me for the delay (ie. hotel accommodations). I was very crabby upon arrival and then ran into further challenges once I got to my hotel (an hour away!)! Not a good day.

In June, I was delayed by weather at ORD (going to LGA) for 3 hours -- without asking, Customer Service gave me a 6,000 mile "apology". This was a mechanical and a longer delay -- any chance they will compensate me for this? To me this was worse than the weather delay as they would seem to have more viable options available to them (exchange equipment, reroute passengers on other flights, etc.). I thought I would wait a week to see if some miles appeared in my account, but if they don't, what do you think would be fair to ask AA for compensation of this situation -- aside from asking the questions listed above (options they could have provided)? I have been PLT for a few years now and Lifetime Gold.

Many thanks in advance. RB

P.S. The flight attendants were AWESOME and not enjoying the situation either. They missed their connecting flight home on the last leg of a 3-day trip, but they were wonderful to us.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 5:14 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Each of us is likely to have a different opinion on this. Mine: stuff happens. I've had a lot more than 4 hours of AOG (aircraft on ground) delay. You got fed and presumably were allowed to move around the cabin to go to the head. Apparently the crew was concerned about MEL (minimum equipment list) policy like they're supposed to be. I wouldn't ask for anything.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 6:22 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I had a mechanical delay on an MIA-SDQ flight that lasted so long that I nearly left that flight (they left the doors open and I had no luggage checked) to take the next one out that was 3 gates down. I wrote AA and they sent me $300 US so it is worth bringing to their attention - non weather delays usually result in money or points, though they sometimes give the points without asking.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Guide to compensation
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
DFW-LGA several years ago. ATC delays at 3 pm departure, but they board us and stage the plane out on the tarmac. Dallas in August- without the engines running the AC was pathetic. 5+ hours later they cancel the flight and put us up for the night. The pax erupted in cheer when they cancelled the flight- the food and drink were all gone, the lavatories were a mess, and the thought on another 3+ hours on that stinkin' mad dog was more than anyone could bear. Shame I wasn't on FT yet- otherwise I would have been savvy enough to glom some compensation. I was just happy AA sprung for the room/dinner and didn't invoke the act of God (weather) weasel clause.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:50 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
What's a 'ground sorter'?
Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM: PLAT
Originally Posted by LarryJ
What's a 'ground sorter'?
Not a clue, but when they finally got to it and determined that they could fly without it, it seemed so minor that we all asked why we were delayed for so long for somthing that seemed so trivial.

Thanks for the feedback -- I'm going to wait another week and see if anything shows up (apology email for example) and if not, will send a note to customer service asking why in this case with the international connections they didn't exchange equipment or rearrange those that needed to get to the int'l destinations on other flights, and offer the same to others of us that needed to get somewhere.

I never complain and usually go with the flow, but given that it was 7hours in the equipment with infrequent updates and I have seen them handle these situations much better in the past.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chuck till
Each of us is likely to have a different opinion on this. Mine: stuff happens.
I agree. Anyone who flies much has one or more of these horror stories. I have learned never to board without a couple package of crackers and cheese/peanut butter, bottle of Evian and plenty to do/read/watch/play.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.