Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2004, 7:44 am
Original Poster

What to expect?

There appears to be many reports on this forum complaining about the service on AA such as uncomfortable seats, poor food and IFE etc. We are travelling on AA for the first time on the following flights; as this is such a long journey I do want to be prepared. What can we expect?

AA135 LHR/LAX (777) - 2 x first and 3 x business
AA285 LAX/LIH (757) - 5 x first
AA270 HNL/LAX (757) - 5 x first
AA136 LAX/LHR (777) - 2 x first and 3 x business

(Our 3 teenage daughter will be flying in buisness)

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 7:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
No matter what happens on these flights just keep telling yourself one thing.....

"I'm going to end up in Hawaii." ^

Aloooooooooo-ha!
Old Oct 13, 2004, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
There are many many posts on AA F and J service from London to the US, including LAX. Moroever, there are many many posts relating to AA's first class service to Hawaii. Did you have specific questions that were not answered in the numerous other posts on these topics? The information on FT on these topics is current.

You should know that the food (for the most part) and wine are the same in both J and F on the LHR-LAX flight. If you are paying for the flight, you may want to consider BA from LHR-LAX.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
generic title here...

Might I also respectfully suggest a more descriptive title so that we know what to expect when we read your thread? It helps us, and it helps you.

Cheers.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
Might I also respectfully suggest a more descriptive title so that we know what to expect when we read your thread? It helps us, and it helps you.
bravo.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
I think this will leave you all in first from LA to Hawaii won't it, as its a narrow body 2 class ac. You will have to change terminals in LA regardless of your carrier from London. Given that, I agree with Seth Levy, if youre paying, and its not too late, BA might be better.

Anyway you do it, it sounds like a pretty cool trip to me, especially for the two of you in FC. I have my gripes with AA but the FC suite seats from London to LA are pretty cool.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 9:29 am
AMA

I'd think your bigger 'discomfort' is gonna be the time change between London & Lihue...boy, that's gonna be tough, altho is hard to be too sympathetic about Hawaii...
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You'll enjoy it, all and all...

JonP, I think you will all have a fine time - just beware of the bit of jet lag you will be dealing with. And using AA, you will process immigration and customs and wind up at the AA terminal (Terminal 4) to catch your onward flight, not bad. On return from Hawai'i, same terminal and no security hassles in LAX - whereas if you used BA you'd have to transfer to the Tom Bradley International chaos-of-a-Terminal.

(Today, I see 135 arrives gate 41, and 285 is scheduled to depart Gate 40 - of course, you must first pass through the gut of formalities, an underground maze, before - and you can pass time in the LAX Admirals Club or Flagship Lounge, neither very bad places.)

The 757 (that's what you ride LAX - LIH) is one of AA's older and less comfortable aircraft, so take "first class" with a grain or two of salt - a major difference between a 757 F and a 777 F, like the difference between your grandfather's favourite overstuffed chair and a dairy milking stool (well, no, not quite really THAT bad!) Nonetheless, it will be OK, and you can fortify yourselves with a quick look back into the crowded 3 x 3 (why some of us laughingly call it a "trireme" - three rows, everyone has to row in unison,) "Less Room Throughout Coach" economy cabin; the service will be OK too.

Check with the SeatGuru for seat advice.

We just like to whinge a bit and criticise everything that's not 100% , and when you fly enough, on any airline, it will never be 100% - and moreso perhaps when the entire US "legacy" airline industry is in a fight to reinvent itself or die.

All that said, I am sure others will post here - some of them agreeing, some demanding my immediate detention and institutionalisation.

Wishes for aloha and a bon voyage for you and yours!

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 17, 2004 at 1:16 pm Reason: add SeatGuru
Old Oct 17, 2004, 1:02 pm

US travel on AA

AA from LHR-LAX on the B777 in first is fine. Sit as far from the galley as possible. The Biz class is fine too but in great need of improvement. Bring snacks!
The domestic portions sound fine although you might want to get the B767 flights to Hawaii as they have a much better first class cabin then the B757.

Sounds like a great trip!
R

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.