Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Maintenance: Seat Backs Automatically Recline?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:03 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Cabin Maintenance: Seat Backs Automatically Recline?

On about half of my AA flights in the last year, I have sat in seats where the seat backs automatically recline without pushing the release button. I notice this most on takeoff and landing, when I find myself repeatedly leaning forward and pushing the release button to get my seat back upright again.

I figure that this experience cannot be unique to me. How many of you have had this problem with your seats? Is it indicative of deferred maintenance on the AA planes?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I have had the same experience- it can make for a sore back on a long flight. Check to make sure your knee is not pushing the recline button- this sometimes is the reason IME.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I make a point of telling the FAs about seat problems - esp. in F/J - and most of the time they either appear to do nothing about it (yes, I know that they write it down the minute I turn my back...) or tell me that those kind of things are usually ignored until the plane is in for other maintenance. I'd say I see it about 20-30% of the time...
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:22 am

Programs: AA
So I'm not just imagining it?! I've experienced seats like this on about 1 of every 3-4 flights.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sometimes it can be easily fixed...

I've had the same situation on a couple of flights in the J cabin this year, most recently SJC - NRT (777.) An AA mech / engineer for the east Atlantic brethren and sistren- in the cabin for a bin issue was actually able to get it working properly by performing what may be similar to "re-booting" - extending the seat fully with a little pressure, and then - it worked fine! A couple of FAs were busy watching as well.

I don't know if this will work all the time, but it's certainly worth trying, IMO.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 12, 2004 at 12:33 pm Reason: add header
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:15 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
It happens occasionally. Sometimes nothing more than tightening a screw or something similar. It is a pain when you get one of those seats though!
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:28 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Me too!

I thought this was just me too! I always love the FA coming through and saying "Sir, please put your seat in the upright position for takeoff".. I do and then minutes later I would be reclining again...
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Yes! I've hard the exact same experience in F/J. My stock response when FAs tell me that my seat must be forward is to tell them that they should tell their maintenance crews that. I refuse to pretend my seat is a bar stool.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:49 am

IME - I had this on 2 J flights - DFW-LGW and LHR-JFK in a row....

I informed the lead FA and asked that during the next check the seat be repaired/replaced....

She told me that it does happen but would contact AA on my behalf...

The same thing happened on a different plane ( on the same seat (12J))

I know it was a different plane as I took note of the NREG on both craft.

I told the FA about my last flight and she told me that she would also contact AA.

I did end up getting 25K miles out of it for the trouble... I felt bad for the lady behind me who helped me by holding my chair up during landing.

In the end - it was a big hassle at the time, but in the grand scheme of things its just a pothole on the road of life.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hoc
On about half of my AA flights in the last year, I have sat in seats where the seat backs automatically recline without pushing the release button.
this happens to me every so often. half would be incredible luck, or lack thereof. i would say it happens every 15/20 flights or so.

on continental a few months ago, i was sitting across the exit aisle from someone on a transcon flight. he had this problem and the flight attendant demanded that he move to another (coach) seat (for the whole flight, not just for takeoff and landing). i would have been furious.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RGreenPC

I did end up getting 25K miles out of it for the trouble... I felt bad for the lady behind me who helped me by holding my chair up during landing.
I've had this happen, and found it to be a problem on takeoff when acceleration is pushing one back into the chair. On landing, deceleration would seem to be pushing one forward, so this shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Still really nice of her to do that. Did you split the miles with her? .

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by brp
On landing, deceleration would seem to be pushing one forward, so this shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Still really nice of her to do that. Did you split the miles with her? .
In my instance anything more than mild pressure in the seat caused it to fall back quickly...
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by RGreenPC
IME - I had this on 2 J flights - DFW-LGW and LHR-JFK in a row....
This happened to me twice in J on AA. Each time I called up AA and complained, and each time I got travel vouchers, once for $275 and once for $400.

Considering the reason you pay for J is for the seat, if it is uncomfortable, it is unacceptable. I have the same seat out and in, and it was broke on the way back even though they new it was broken, and this was a week later.

This was the trip I got $400.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This happened to me on 2 of 4 flights in the past week. Of course, the FA's did not bother to make even a mental note when I informed them.

I felt bad for the people behind me (IMO it is rude to recline in MRTC unless you are 6'4").

It never occurred to me to ask for vouchers...I guess you need that PI lawyer mentality.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo

I felt bad for the people behind me (IMO it is rude to recline in MRTC unless you are 6'4").
Do you really think that reclining is rude, or is that just humor? Also, wouldn't it be worse to recline in LRTC since you're more likely to impact (maybe physically, depending on the speed of the recline ) with less pitch?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.