Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another unannounced change in redemptions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Another unannounced change in redemptions?

Well, I finally went to the AA.COM website to get the 'official' word about the upgrade changes. While there, I decided to check the all-airline award chart for some flights down under. First, they updated the page to look nicer and is more concise. However, there is a column for travel wholly within a country where the mileage required is a little less than an US domestic award. I noticed that Australia and New Zealand are listed separately. My copy of the chart from a few months ago had a sidebar that stated, "for travel wholly within and between Australia and New Zealand", one rate applied. It seem like a great deal, Perth to Auckland for only 35K in Business Class. Now it is 60K !!! Did I misread the prior chart and has AA done it again?
Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
I've a copy of the chart on pdf file which I downloaded on 21/12/03.
You are correct in thinking the wording has been changed but I'm not so sure the AAward has.

The "exceptions" part states travel
"Wholly within Argentina, Australia and New Zealand, Brazil, Chile, Fiji, Finland, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Peru" etc. are 20k, 35k and 55k miles for Y,J and F.

Australia and New Zealand are the only two countries grouped in this manner. However this may have been a misprint as New Zealand is also listed on its own i.e it would seem strange to allow travel between the two but not allow travel wholly within Australia. In any case the new presentation removes any doubt so it looks like you'll need a South Pacific to South Pacific award at 60k.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"Australia and New Zealand are the only two countries grouped in this manner. However this may have been a misprint as New Zealand is also listed on its own"

It wasn't a misprint in the old table. I did redeem 2 awards for people from MEL-AKL at 35,000 points for a business class return ticket. It just looks like the cost has gone up

Dave
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

What's even more confusing is:

North America <-> Africa is "transpacific only"
North American <-> Asia Zone 1 is "transatlantic only"
but
NA <-> Asia Zone 2 is "transpacific only"

Isn't that just odd ?

Old Oct 19, 2004, 4:47 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by izzik
What's even more confusing is:

North America <-> Africa is "transpacific only"
North American <-> Asia Zone 1 is "transatlantic only"
but
NA <-> Asia Zone 2 is "transpacific only"

Isn't that just odd ?

Hawaii to Japan is only 125k in First on British Airways? Sounds like a deal to me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.