Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question re EXP Qual the Second Time Around

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2004, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Question re EXP Qual the Second Time Around

Dumb question from a UA 1K. If I become EXP, drop to Plat, then regain EXP in a third or subsequent year: do I get a subsequent installment of the extra 8 VIPOWs that are presented to first-time EXPers? I figure not, but want to be sure. Thx.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 3:23 pm
LLZ

Originally Posted by Explore
Dumb question from a UA 1K. If I become EXP, drop to Plat, then regain EXP in a third or subsequent year: do I get a subsequent installment of the extra 8 VIPOWs that are presented to first-time EXPers? I figure not, but want to be sure. Thx.
Not any longer. The rules for this have changed. You get 8 when you cross 100K. If you cross 100K again the next year, you get 8 more when you, and so on the next year, that's it.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 3:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ah, you are alluding to historical facts here. We all get 8 VIPOWs (electronic SWUs, these days, but they pretty much work the same except they are paperless,) when we qualify, and 8 more when we next requalify.

Under the old system we received 8 VIPOWS when we qualified, when March 1 came around and cards were sent out, and again when we requalified, an artifact of previous fulfillment processes that ceased to exist this year. Fulfillment of membership kits now occur when we requalify, not March 1.

We have posted many a dirge to this tragic loss of 8 VIPOWs...

Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Thanks for the update.

This certainly means EXPs have fewer upgrade certs than UA 1Ks, who can get 8 North America and 8 International per year, plus 500-milers. Granted the UA internationals can't be used with a rock-bottom fare, and UA may not be around for as long as AA...............
Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Thanks for the update.

This certainly means EXPs have fewer upgrade certs than UA 1Ks, who can get 8 North America and 8 International per year, plus 500-milers. Granted the UA internationals can't be used with a rock-bottom fare, and UA may not be around for as long as AA...............
EXPs get free, unlimited domestic upgrades. That includes Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and top South America and Bermuda.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrzej
EXPs get free, unlimited domestic upgrades. That includes Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and top South America and Bermuda.
Is that from any fare? Sorry, my knowledge of this may not be up to date.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:00 pm
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
Yes, That is on any fare. They come from the same pool as the 500 mile sticker upgrades.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Yes it is from any published fare,

BUT..... EXPs don't earn stickers anymore (we did get 4 for every 10K miles flown under the old system), so if your SO or friend is flying with you and you don' have any stickers in your account, you/they have to purchase stickers at $25 each if they want to sit next to you.

Last edited by andrzej; Oct 2, 2004 at 5:13 pm
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Yes it is from any published fare,

BUT..... EXPs don't earn stickers anymore (we did get 4 for every 10K miles flown under the old system), so if your SO or friend is flying with you and you don' have any stickers in your account, you/they have to purchase stickers at $25 each if they want to sit next to you.
Is that $25 for each 500 miles? And do they get EXP priority just like you if on same itinerary?

Based on what I'm hearing, EXP is now BETTER than 1K for North American upgrades and international upgrades (leaving aside route network issues), plus AA planes average a greater number of FC seats, and AA FC food may be better. Do folks agree?
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
This certainly means EXPs have fewer upgrade certs than UA 1Ks, who can get 8 North America and 8 International per year(
I only received 6 SWU's as a 1K. Are you sure they're giving out 8 now at the 100,000 mile mark, and that's not some promo for going well above the 100K?
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
I only received 6 SWU's as a 1K. Are you sure they're giving out 8 now at the 100,000 mile mark, and that's not some promo for going well above the 100K?
In 2004 it is 8 for 100K BIS miles, and 6 for 1K Lite (taking into account extra EQM promos).
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Is that $25 for each 500 miles? And do they get EXP priority just like you if on same itinerary?

Based on what I'm hearing, EXP is now BETTER than 1K for North American upgrades and international upgrades (leaving aside route network issues), plus AA planes average a greater number of FC seats, and AA FC food may be better. Do folks agree?
Yes, it is $25 for each 500 miles if you buy on-line, $30 on the phone or at the airport. They do get the same priority if traveling with you.

I don't fly UA so can't answer the other questions.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:40 pm
LLZ

With the unlimited complimentary upgrades it definitely is. You are correct on the number of FC seats, especially to UA's Airbuses. Food-wise, I guess it's probably about even. I dumped UA in 2000 so it's been a while, but overall I'd say domestically they are tied in that area. Internationally, I'd give a slight advantage to UA, as their portions were/still look a little larger than AA's.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Thx. Additional thoughts welcome, especially since the Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage seems to be under construction.......
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:48 pm
LLZ

Electronic upgrades cannot be used for any routes in South America; BOG, CCS, LIM, can only be upgraded with either miles or a VIP, as is the case with all the other South American destinations.

AA does, however, give you a break mileage-wise due to the shorter distances....7500k (on full fare) or 12,500 for a one-way upgrade to Colombia, Ecuador, Peru or Venezuela, as opposed to 10/25K for Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay or Uruguay.

Last edited by LLZ; Oct 2, 2004 at 5:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.