Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any luck using Citi AA card reduced mileage awards?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2004, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Any luck using Citi AA card reduced mileage awards?

I do not have the Citi Card, but I noticed that they publish periodical reduced mileage awards, 5k less or 7.5k less depending on the card type. I wondered if anyone has experience trying to redeem these awards - are they easy to come by? I noticed that they are only valid for a quarter - 3 months out - and basically, I have had little luck redeeming awards with that short notice.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 3:57 pm

I have used these on several occasions. They book into "T" class, just like regular Aadvantage award tickets (economy class). I have had no trouble using them at all. Actually, I booked my tickets on aa.com, held them, then called and asked them to change the award code to the Citibank code. Very painless, and I still got the 1000 mile online booking bonus.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 3:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm off to Indianapolis next week using a 20K award. It's the first time I've used the program (mostly because I burn miles on international travel and not domestic). Pretty painless to book by phone.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:02 pm

The OP doesn't have a citiback CC and is asking if he can use the Citi discount award nevertheless.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You do bring up a good point. The codes are publicly posted. Do they have anything built into the system at all the prevent someone without a Citicard from using it? I used a Citicard to pay the $10 in taxes, so they could tell from the card number (if they even look at those), but suppose I used another bank's card and didn't even have a Citicard account?
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Do they have anything built into the system at all the prevent someone without a Citicard from using it?
Yes. The Citibank special mileage awards have specific award codes. During ticketing if the CB profile is not in the AAdvantage account funding the award, it is bounced.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:23 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Island
Yes. The Citibank special mileage awards have specific award codes. During ticketing if the CB profile is not in the AAdvantage account funding the award, it is bounced.
One time I made a booking with the reduced mileage awards, but later found they only took out the # of miles for a Platinum/Biz Mastercard award (17.5k instead of 20k), and I only have a Gold card.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
But if you DO have a card, they are very easy to redeem. I have used them several times to bring my folks for visits, and it worked out fine - in fact, it seemed easier than redeeming normal award travel, it was so painless, but this was probably because it was all domestic.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by hauteboy
One time I made a booking with the reduced mileage awards, but later found they only took out the # of miles for a Platinum/Biz Mastercard award (17.5k instead of 20k), and I only have a Gold card.
hmmmm, another 2.5K miles needs to be deducted from the aaccount, OK...

Actually, you were gifted by a res agent placing the incorrect special mileage award code in the reservation. Sometimes we get a break. The CB reduced mileage awards really are a good deal if they are promoting the city you may have a need to travel to. I used to get the list and see if I could convince myself to go to one of the selected destinations. Normal AA reduced mileage awards require a co-payment, while the CB version does not.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ynewman
The OP doesn't have a citiback CC and is asking if he can use the Citi discount award nevertheless.
NO, I am asking for others' experience with the citi program because I am considering getting a card. I am not stupid enough to think that I can use the feature without the card. This feature seems to be a valuable one that may help to make the decision as to whether or not to get the card. It sounds good, but considering the way airline capacity controls go, I would not be surprised to get turned down for every award requested within the time period. However it seems that others have had some success with it.

Thanks to the rest of you that understood the question and provided useful feedback.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

If they are as easy to redeem as you all say, this may be a good idea.

Some of them seem to be really good deals... I was thinking of booking an award to Chile but most airlines want 50k. CO used to be 35k. AA wants 40k (low season) but with the citi code you can get it for 32.5k. Not bad at all. Of course, I cannot expect Chile to always be there, but there are a lot of other places I want to go see.

I currently have the SPG Amex and use a no fee 1/$2 mile Visa card as backup. I did not think it was worth the fee to have a 1/$1 card to only use as Amex backup, but with this feature, maybe if I can get an easy 7.5k discount on awards along with the extra miles for the 1/$1 card, it might be worth it.

It is worth thinking about. Thanks again for the replies.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by quinella66
I would not be surprised to get turned down for every award requested within the time period. However it seems that others have had some success with it.
quinealla66,

They aren't going to offer a lot of destinations that have no available award capacity. Sure, some will fill up. But they are promoting specific locations for a reason.

Check the current and next quarter destinations then just call or check on availability for award seats. That should tell you if it is going to be worth your time and money invested.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 6:58 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Exclamation

IIRC, Citibank discounted awAArds do not allow a stopover, but still do allow an open-jaw (at the non-promoted-city end.)
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Last year I used it for 3 tickets to Toronto for 17.5K each, and we got 1000 for each online booking. Did the same thing as the other poster mentioned. I reserved onlline, then called to have the code changed, then completed the transaction online. For a short time anyone can get short-haul flights (less than 750 miles) for 15K (and I presume the 1000 opnline booking bonus). I hope I can make a trip to Toronto in the time frame.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:40 pm

Angry Reduced Mileage Mess

I recently used the reduced mileage awards AA/Citi and noticed that the full amount of miles had been deducted. Spent over an hour on the phone with Citi and AA. Each saying it was the others fault but neither would correct it. Finally I had them call each other and do a conference call to work it out. Part of the conversation with AA went like this... "I have had a AA/MC for several years"... Yes I see you are getting Mileage each month from Citi MC but it is not in your "profile".... "How do I get it in my "profile"??.... Citi has to but it in!.... Citi... "Its in your profile! You are getting miles aren't you? Yes!... then its in your profile..... call AA.... AROUND AND AROUND!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.