Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F on 777 Atlantic VS Pacific config

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

F on 777 Atlantic VS Pacific config

Hey everyone I have had to fortune of flying F on the 777 many times over the years (gotta love that flagship suite) but in January I will be flying on a 777 in F for the First time to Japan. Now I know the first class cabin is differnet somehow but am not really sure how. Is the pacific version of this aircraft as nice as the atlantic or is a 777 without the flagship suite just like any other aircraft in F? Any opionions from you experts out there is appreciated. I have bought a business ticket DFW-NRT in January and am trying to decide if it would truly be worth it to use miles to upgrade to first not having the flagship suites Ive grown accustom to. I mean do the seats recline fully flat like the atlantic version does?....what are the differences?
Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The coffin seats (non-Flagship suite F seats) lie as flat as the FS. They are just like the old coffins that were on the 767-300s prior to their conversion to 2 class.

I prefer the coffins if traveling with someone, as the FS place travelers too far apart to talk to each other or collaborate on anything (unless one gets up and moves to the footrest/bench.

You'll enjoy the coffins to NRT.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:05 pm

If you go to SEARCH THIS FORUM, and enter "777 PACIFIC" or "COFFIN" (as these seats are affectionately called), you will find a ton of info. One of the great aspects of FT!!! ^ I did this and read several threads - seems the concensus is that the coffins are adequate seats, and do lay flat, but do not come close to the Flagship seats, or F seats on CX and NH across the Pacific.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by more777sneeded
...Is the pacific version of this aircraft as nice as the atlantic or is a 777 without the flagship suite just like any other aircraft in F?
If what you are asking is, are the seats in any way like domestic F-- definitely not, it's still a great way to fly and well worth the upgrade for sure.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:24 pm

Its not a Flagship Suite, but it is definitely worth the upgrade to NRT.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (sniff) 1.4MM
The world is flat...

when you have a flat bed. No question, Flagship Suite is better, but anywhere to NRT is a long haul, and First in the coffin is a lot better than biz class for DFW, ORD or LAX (my experience) to NRT. It is insane, if your are at anything from PLT or better (getting double miles + COS) to NOT use 15K miles each way to upgrade to F. Eat, drink, and sleep but do so horizontally. Biz to First is what we really earn our miles for, when there is any way to use them for our own benefit. And someday (we hope) coffin seats will be replaced by Flagship Suites on the Pacific 777's. If travelling alone, choose the middle seats--it is a 2-2-2 conffiguration so both middle seats are aisle seats, otherwise you have the classic situation of window seat having to climb over the aisle seat fully extended.

Last edited by GuatemAlA; Aug 12, 2004 at 10:05 pm
Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
I love the Suite's so nice to have the extra privacy and the movable armrest to sleep much better and with more room to roll around!
Old Aug 13, 2004, 12:51 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by GuatemAlA
Biz to First is what we really earn our miles for, when there is any way to use them for our own benefit.
Or, from Y to Biz, which is an even better use of miles.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 5:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
That depends

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Or, from Y to Biz, which is an even better use of miles.
On the tickets you buy and your travel patterns. I have been saving miles for the sorts of upgrade you suggest, and with the use of VIP upgrades first usage due to their shelf life I have accumulated a bloated account balance with AA. Next month I am going to LHR booked in J, and will be using miles to upgrade to F for the first time. After all, you can't take 'em with you...
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:58 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
It's Not Just the Seats

Originally Posted by more777sneeded
Hey everyone I have had to fortune of flying F on the 777 many times over the years (gotta love that flagship suite) but in January I will be flying on a 777 in F for the First time to Japan. Now I know the first class cabin is differnet somehow but am not really sure how. Is the pacific version of this aircraft as nice as the atlantic or is a 777 without the flagship suite just like any other aircraft in F?
IMHO, while the FS seats are nicer and roomier for sleeping, a major difference is in the amount of personal space. The FS give you a huge tray and a desk area (under the window is especially nice). I haven't sprung for an iPod yet, and since I always trave with my laptop, I plug the headphones in and use iTunes to play music for the whole flight. In the FS, there is plenty of space, and I use the desk to keep my laptop out, along with a magazine or book and a bottle of water. That leaves the whole tray area for meals or whatever. In the Pacific 777 I have to juggle the laptop, putting it on my lap or on the floor, if I want to have room to eat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.