Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Update on Systemwide Upgrade Validity (nothing new... just new on AA.com)

Update on Systemwide Upgrade Validity (nothing new... just new on AA.com)

 
Old Aug 10, 04, 10:54 am
  #1  
tt7
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MEL
Posts: 2,428
Update on Systemwide Upgrade Validity (nothing new... just new on AA.com)

This just popped up on AA.com....nothing new but it does confirm the "valid for 12 months once they get deposited" issue.


By now you may have received information about the new Executive Platinum Systemwide VP Upgrade for 2004. For your convenience, the Systemwide VP upgrade (formerly VIP Upgrade) will be available on AA.com later this year. We've listed some frequently asked questions associated with Executive Platinum Systemwide VP Upgrades below:

Q: When will my systemwide (VP) upgrades be deposited into the electronic upgrade bank?
A: We are enhancing our electronic upgrade bank and hope to include systemwide (VP) upgrades by the end of this year.

Q: How long are my systemwide (VP) upgrades valid?
A: Like previous systemwide upgrades, they are valid for 12 months, so the VP upgrades issued in March 2004 for qualifying/requalifying for Executive Platinum status are good through February 2005. However, you will enjoy an extended validity period for the upgrades earned for your 2004 activity since they will be valid for 12 months from the date of deposit into the electronic upgrade bank. So the VP upgrades you earn now are immediately valid and will continue to be valid for 12 months beyond the date when the electronic upgrade bank is enhanced to accommodate their deposit.

... nothing new in the rest of it....
tt7 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 04, 11:44 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CH, D, USA
Posts: 1,561
Nothing about the eight they cut out for first-time EXPs

So, they now published the extended validity. I find it very interesting how they totally avoided the subject of the 8 VPs that new qualifiers would have normally received in March 04, in addition to the ones that are given out upon first-time qualification.

They admit in the text that 8 were given out March 2004 for first-time qualifiers of 2003.
f4free is offline  
Old Aug 10, 04, 11:50 am
  #3  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,453
Originally Posted by f4free
So, they now published the extended validity. I find it very interesting how they totally avoided the subject of the 8 VPs that new qualifiers would have normally received in March 04, in addition to the ones that are given out upon first-time qualification.
They avoided that because it was never written in the first place. It was an artifact of the way they distributed credentials, and that mechanism has changed. It was never an official policy, just a boon to those who qualified for the first time prior to 2004. AFAIK, they have no need to mention that, just as they would have no need to mention any changes to the "rules" for a Platinum Challenge.

For perspective, I will qualify for EXP for the first time this year, and not get the extra 8 VIPs. I sill believe that they do not have to mention discontinuing something that was never official to begin with.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Aug 16, 04, 2:30 pm
  #4  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,405
brp, Once again, I have to agree with you. () They were, IMO, under no obligation to mention any discontinuance of a benefit, because the feature was unofficial and, as you say, merely an artifact of the annualized distribution of creds and perks. Just as they would be under no obligation to announce the end of other certain, umm, "undocumented" benefits that will remain unmentioned by me here.

The 8 extra VIPs was a nice artifact, but that's all it was. Now they've changed what was a messy creds distribution system to an on-demand system as we (re)qualify for the status, and I do expect fewer of us will get empty packets in the mail in March or April...

What is intertesting is they finally put the "bank" issue in writing - stating the expiration date for the eVPs earned before the bank was visible, would be granted one year validity from when they begin to show. Even some EXP desk people were in the dark on this, as recently as last week.

It lets me breathe easier...
JDiver is offline  
Old Aug 16, 04, 4:43 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: LAX
Posts: 3,416
how many of us exp's have any left anyways?
azmmza is offline  
Old Aug 16, 04, 4:55 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: PIT/DFW/MEL; AA Exec. Platinum & 4MM, QF WP
Posts: 7,689
Originally Posted by azmmza
how many of us exp's have any left anyways?
I've not been able to put any to good use so far, and it's already August. Alas, all my overseas legs have been on I fares this year, and they've been downright stone-set about not relaxing the no-I rules. I don't see why that's the only non-usable published fare class [but those are the breaks; I know the rules and bought the fare anyway...]

will use some later this fall for a domestic trip with a companion needing upgrading. she's an airline novice who thinks all upgrades are "free"; so VP's on that trip would maintain the illusion and save me buying a dozen segment stickers for it.
martin33 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 04, 8:10 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SJU
Programs: AAEXPLAT, HHonors Silver, Skymiles, Dividend Miles
Posts: 141
Thumbs up If you want to exchange VIP's

Originally Posted by martin33
I've not been able to put any to good use so far, and it's already August. Alas, all my overseas legs have been on I fares this year, and they've been downright stone-set about not relaxing the no-I rules. I don't see why that's the only non-usable published fare class [but those are the breaks; I know the rules and bought the fare anyway...]

will use some later this fall for a domestic trip with a companion needing upgrading. she's an airline novice who thinks all upgrades are "free"; so VP's on that trip would maintain the illusion and save me buying a dozen segment stickers for it.

I have two First Class Upgrades that will expire 12/31/04 good to change from Business J Fare Basis!
guigoortiz is offline  
Old Aug 17, 04, 11:34 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 527
The question remains

Will the VIP05 upgrades posted immediately once you have accumulated 100K miles/points or will it be posted at 1/1/05?
AH-64D is offline  
Old Aug 18, 04, 5:03 am
  #9  
tt7
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MEL
Posts: 2,428
Originally Posted by AH-64D
Will the VIP05 upgrades posted immediately once you have accumulated 100K miles/points or will it be posted at 1/1/05?
They become "available to use" as soon as you pass the 100k mark and will be valid until 12 months after they are "deposited" .... whenever that turns out to be (depends on when AA has the 'bank' ready'). In subsequent years, they'll be deposited 'immediately' and valid for 12 months.
tt7 is offline  
Old Aug 18, 04, 9:51 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Washington DC
Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Posts: 1,148
Originally Posted by guigoortiz
I have two First Class Upgrades that will expire 12/31/04 good to change from Business J Fare Basis!
This belongs in the coupon connection. You have started 2 prior threads on this topic that have been closed by the moderator. And here you go again.

I really hope someone does not agree to the trade, something seems a bit wrong here.
SethLevy is offline  
Old Aug 18, 04, 10:08 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,397
Originally Posted by SethLevy
This belongs in the coupon connection. You have started 2 prior threads on this topic that have been closed by the moderator. And here you go again.

I really hope someone does not agree to the trade, something seems a bit wrong here.
To say the least.
JonNYC is offline  
Old Aug 18, 04, 5:31 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Plano, Texas USA
Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,892
Exclamation Watch out

Originally Posted by guigoortiz
I have two First Class Upgrades that will expire 12/31/04 good to change from Business J Fare Basis!
I wouldn't trade anything more valuable than drink coupons for these.
bbkenney is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread