Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Does ordering a special meal interfere with electronic upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does ordering a special meal interfere with electronic upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2004, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Question Does ordering a special meal interfere with electronic upgrades?

Electronic upgrades didn't clear on my last flights - SJC JFK and JFK SJC - booked about 30 days in advance. I had ordered gluten-free meals. Would that prevent an upgrade in a window too small to deliver a special meal?

I do prefer the special meals in coach but in business I can usually find enough selection and wouldn't mind cancelling the request. However, I don't think there is a way to note this in the file.

Or is this the ExP effect? And if that's so, what will I do with those upgrade units?

Sylvia, Platinum
Old May 8, 2004, 12:43 pm

I doubt the system even looks at special meals. If the upgrade goes through, the special meal probably gets deleted with it.
Old May 9, 2004, 3:36 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
On the other hand, I would have gotten a complimentary (operational) upgrade on a trip to Europe several years ago, but was "cancelled" because I had special meals ordered. I cancelled my special meals for the return flight and sure enough we got upgraded on our return. I have never ordered a special meal since. Better to pack food to bring than risk that ever again.
Old May 9, 2004, 6:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Special Meal Experience

I suppose it depends on how far out your first class upgrade clears, but I remember at least once when the flight attendant figured out that there was a special meal in coach and offered to supply it to me in first. As I recall she basically took some bits from the first class meal, other bits from the coach meal, plated it all on first class china, and served it.

Yet another great effort by an AA flight attendant. ^
Old May 9, 2004, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sipples
... flight attendant figured out that there was a special meal in coach and offered to supply it to me in first... bits from the first class meal, other bits from the coach meal, plated it all on first class china, and served it. ^
Yes, I've had that happen too sometimes.

Sylvia
Old May 9, 2004, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
Electronic upgrades didn't clear on my last flights - SJC JFK and JFK SJC - booked about 30 days in advance. I had ordered gluten-free meals. Would that prevent an upgrade in a window too small to deliver a special meal?

Sylvia, Platinum
If memory serves.......
If the upgrade clears at least 24 hours before, the IVR system would say "I've noticed you've requested a special meal, would you still like one?" in which case I would say no and it was deleted from my PNR. FWIW, I 've given up on special meals when in Y, I just buy a sammmich or salad instead.
Old May 10, 2004, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
I don't eat beef or pork, so I have a vegetarian meal request stored in my profile with my company's travel agent. I request my upgrades via the IVR system on the GLD/PLT hotline, and if I'm flying during a meal window, it always asks if I still want the special meal if possible. It doesn't matter if I'm requesting the upgrade a week before the flight or a few hours before.

I usually say no, because there's almost always a poultry/seafood option anyway. I did say yes a few weeks ago, and I still got the upgrade confirmed, although they didn't have the special meal. (I didn't request the upgrade till about 12 hours before the flight, so I'm guessing they didn't have enough time to get it together.)

I don't think the special meal request makes a difference in whether you get the upgrade or not, since obviously they don't really care if they can't get you the special meal for a last-minute upgrade.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by Flyer23
I have a vegetarian meal request stored in my profile with my company's travel agent.
Is there a way to store a meal request in a profile if you're not using a travel agent, but simply booking through aa.com? I can't for the life me find anything about it in My Account, while both BA and NW definitely let you store it in your online preferences (although at least with BA you shouldn't trust that it actually gets applied to your flights )?

If not, do people who book flights frequently online call separately for each flight? Are you able to tell online somehow when a special meal request has successfully been put it (or if it's been removed)?
Old Aug 5, 2004, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
According to two FAs I have spoken to on separate flights, AA does not serve pork products. I also don't eat pork or beef, and it's been nice to have chicken sausage (IAD-LAX yesterday morning in F, with pancakes) and turkey ham (comes with omelet in standard coach transcon breakfast) on board.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 11:22 am

I had pork loin on July 4th LAX-JFK transcon in J....I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Never seen it before. The FA's were actually surprised that they had run out of it by the time they reached the 3rd row in J.

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
According to two FAs I have spoken to on separate flights, AA does not serve pork products. I also don't eat pork or beef, and it's been nice to have chicken sausage (IAD-LAX yesterday morning in F, with pancakes) and turkey ham (comes with omelet in standard coach transcon breakfast) on board.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 2:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
They served that same (well, similar) pork loin on a Jul 3 or 4 in J on a transcon I took (SFO - JFK or return.)

Originally Posted by platboy
I had pork loin on July 4th LAX-JFK transcon in J....I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Never seen it before. The FA's were actually surprised that they had run out of it by the time they reached the 3rd row in J.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Interesting about the pork loin...didn't know that was offered as a dinner option. Maybe it's just the sausage and ham that don't contain any pork products.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 6:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I know op-ups are prohibited by some airlines for pax with special meals ordered (BA for example). So there is a downside to having a special meal; no idea if it applies to electronic upgrades (my guess is no, as you have control over requesting it and may be presumed to agree to foregoing the meal when requesting the upgrade).
Old Aug 6, 2004, 1:37 am

Programs: Delta/Emirates/United/
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I always play it safe and request Vegetarian. I've had experiences in which my taste buds corrected the "misinformation".
Old Aug 6, 2004, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by babygrl1
I always play it safe and request Vegetarian. I've had experiences in which my taste buds corrected the "misinformation".
I've given up on Vegetarian meals on flights. It's usually not very palatable. IMO. I usually either hope for something obviously ok, such as a non-meat pasta dish, or bring my own food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.