ExPlat Status denied

Old May 7, 04, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hyatt Platinum
ExPlat Status denied

Being a new AAdvantage member I was unaware that the qualifying year for status was the calendar year since I was only aware of the membership year was Feb 1st. In December of 2003 I was at 97,930 miles, 102 segments, and 65,974 points. Thinking I had another month to book a flight to get to 100,000, I used a reward ticket for the holidays and booked a flight for January to save money. I called the plat line and they put in a review, but AA told me TOUGH and said that I was not eligible for exec plat status because my points were too low.

Does anyone know if there is ANY WAY I can get the status? I am back in school and so I really wanted to keep the status until I go back to work next year and use it to upgrade my parents for a thank you gift on their inter'l trip.

Thanks!
Old May 7, 04, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
The qualifying period is from 1/1 to 12/31.

Sorry, but there is nothing that can be done at this time. It's possible to appeal to AAdvantage once more, just because of having almost 98K miles, but if they say no there is not much you can do.

That's a tough one, but rules are rules.

Sorry....
Old May 7, 04, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, UA, DL, NW, Starwood and Marriott peon
Other than begging AA I don't think there is much you can do. It's pretty clear on the AA website that the qualifying year runs for the calendar year. Maybe they will be nice since they can see you flew a paid flight in January, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

On the bright side, at least you are still getting those double miles as a Plat.
Old May 7, 04, 9:39 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
AA has been fairly strict in meeting the qualification Requirment

It has been rumored that if your at 99,500 for the year, they would still give you the EXP status, but I have never seen this actually happen. Being just under 98K I am not surprised that they did not put you over the top..... Try for it again this year, the benefits are definitely worth it.
Old May 7, 04, 9:44 pm

You could always book a full fare F International trip for about $10k, pay for it on your credit card, then call and give them grief about not giving you EXP.

Then, whether you get EXP or not, you can cancel the ticket for a full refund.

If they see that you've purchased a $10k ticket, they might be more likely to bump you up.
Old May 7, 04, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I've got an idea as to why they're being so strict

I have a theory as to why AA's being so strict. As you know, some time ago AA began tracking both miles and points and allowing qualification based on reaching either a mile or point threshhold. While this makes it easier for high rev pax to achieve EXP status (which I think is a really good idea); it also enables AA to quickly develop a guestimate as to how profitable a particular pax is.

In your case, your "point to mile" ratio suggests that you travel mostly on discounted economy fares and the AA rep reviewing your account can quickly ascertain that this is, in fact, the case. While no one doubts your loyalty to the airline, I would suggest that AA might be less inclined to accomodate you rather than a pax who had a "point to mile" ratio that indicated more full fare or premium class travel.

With respect to segments, I don't think AA would find those a meaningful metric.

Not trying to be harsh... being self-employed, I always go for the cheapest fare I can find when travelling domestically, as well.
Old May 7, 04, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver, Marr LTTitanium, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
I had the same thing happen to me two years ago, falling just shy (1,500 miles) of qualifying for Plt. No amount of begging, pleading or threatening worked. Sorry.
Old May 8, 04, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I have a theory as to why AA's being so strict. As you know, some time ago AA began tracking both miles and points and allowing qualification based on reaching either a mile or point threshhold. While this makes it easier for high rev pax to achieve EXP status (which I think is a really good idea); it also enables AA to quickly develop a guestimate as to how profitable a particular pax is.

In your case, your "point to mile" ratio suggests that you travel mostly on discounted economy fares and the AA rep reviewing your account can quickly ascertain that this is, in fact, the case. While no one doubts your loyalty to the airline, I would suggest that AA might be less inclined to accomodate you rather than a pax who had a "point to mile" ratio that indicated more full fare or premium class travel.

With respect to segments, I don't think AA would find those a meaningful metric.

Not trying to be harsh... being self-employed, I always go for the cheapest fare I can find when travelling domestically, as well.

Several years ago, I fell just short of PLAT. It was more than 2,000 miles short. I was advised by a reservations agent to call customer service and "challenge." I made the call and given PLAT.

Daring to look a gift horse in the mouth, I asked why. I was told that my regular routes SFO-ORD and SFO - ZRH were well serviced by other carriers too, that AA wanted to keep my business. I said, "Thanks."

This past year, my wife missed a couple of our working trips and showed up less than 1000 miles from PLAT. No problem, I thought. WRONG!!!

The story this time was that policy had changed. One Customer service person gave me some nonsense about, "it wouldn't be fair to others." As if that is a motivating factor for AA to do or not do anything!!

So I called again. This time the answer was more clear: it was blamed on the fact that my wife flew so many bargain fares just as pointed out by the poster.

We are self-employed and know our itineraries usually several years in advance, so of course our fares are among the lowest given. That's not about to change!

Fortunately I am now PLAT for life ... I am not sure whose. My wife will reach PLAT easily this year, and we will again be fat and sassy and have cheap fares, too.

Business climates change and so do managers' perceptions.

Best wishes,

Teacher49
Old May 8, 04, 12:43 am
formerly known as CARTflagman

100 segments does not get one EXP status

I thought 100 segments was one of the criteria of qualifiying for EXP, did they take that away?

CF
Old May 8, 04, 2:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"I thought 100 segments was one of the criteria of qualifiying for EXP, did they take that away?"

Theire isn't and, iirc, There hasn't been a 100 segment criteria for Executive Platinum status.

Dave
Old May 8, 04, 6:13 am
mgm

HKG_Flyer1 - I believe you are quite correct. An EXP agent once told me that they can see the qual point-mile ratio and it is taken into account in some exception type decisions. It was a couple of years ago and I can't remember what I was asking for but I do remember her comment being that as I had a high qual point ratio they would probably do it (think it might have been extra domestic upgrades???).
Old May 8, 04, 7:26 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
'

Originally Posted by mgm
An EXP agent once told me that they can see the qual point-mile ratio and it is taken into account in some exception type decisions.
Some very nice things happen when your qual ratio is over 1.4. They definitely do notice and some very unofficial benefits kick in. Lots of airlines do this; I don't even belong to Cathay's program yet they track all of my CX travel yield and take it into consideration when you ask for something unorthodox. Seems like a good business model. But it does mean that those mileage runs work against you in this regard.
Old May 8, 04, 8:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Angry Sorry, it just won't happen

As other posters have explained, your metrics will not get you EXP, most likely. You can always try another call, another agent, but they pretty much operate from the same directions on this one. You will not "fall back" more than one level from one year to another, and Platinum still counts for some benefits.

One thing you will learn from FT is to familiarize yourself thoroughly with a program's Terms and Conditions, read the fine print, and never AAssume anything.

Cheers, and keep flying.
Old May 8, 04, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
You can always try another call, another agent
Not a chance in a million. This is sacred ground.

If you wish to appeal, make it a fomal letter to Pres or VP AAdvantage.
Old May 8, 04, 9:22 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Originally Posted by CART_Flagman
I thought 100 segments was one of the criteria of qualifiying for EXP, did they take that away?

CF
Actually you can reach EXP by segments.. Just fly 200 of them

Search this Thread
Search Engine: