Wiki Posts
Search

JL or AA in J, ORD-NRT.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2004, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA 1P, DL SM
JL or AA in J, ORD-NRT.

Tried the search, but everything referred to JL's old J seats.

So- with the new seats, would you take JL ORD-NRT, or AA DFW-NRT in J (starting in ATL, going on to PVG)?

This is a 90k award ticket, BTW.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 3:57 pm

You can also do ORD-NRT on AA metal. I just did the return leg yesterday (4/28). I can't say about JL J seat, I've only flown them BKK-NRT, I'm sure the Trans-Pacific has a different service style. That said, I found their service to be very good.

Wantok
Old Apr 29, 2004, 4:05 pm
Suspended

JL is supposed to role out the new J seats this month.

http://www.japanair.com
Old Apr 29, 2004, 4:54 pm

Based on comparison of JL and AA in F for JFK-NRT, I'd take JL.

"Japan Airlines' highly acclaimed 'bed-style' seats are now available in Executive Class - Seasons between New York (JL005/006) /Chicago (JL009/010) and Tokyo"
http://www.japanair.com/e/promotions/newcf.php
Old Apr 29, 2004, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
No doubt about it: JL
Old Apr 29, 2004, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ATL-DFW-NRT-PVG may be a bit shorter, but you'd be forced to do a bus-transfer at NRT to go AA-to-JAL. OTOH, the Admiral's Club in NRT is really better than the Sakura business class lounge in NRT.

Overall, I'd go with JAL out of ORD just because it's a better transfer. On the way back, you may want to fly DFW since it's a sleeper flight and clearing immigration at DFW is easier than ORD.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 2:55 am

Location: DFW - AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plt Royal Amb., Avis PS, FT Premium!!
Originally Posted by Plato90s
ATL-DFW-NRT-PVG may be a bit shorter, but you'd be forced to do a bus-transfer at NRT to go AA-to-JAL. OTOH, the Admiral's Club in NRT is really better than the Sakura business class lounge in NRT.

Overall, I'd go with JAL out of ORD just because it's a better transfer. On the way back, you may want to fly DFW since it's a sleeper flight and clearing immigration at DFW is easier than ORD.

Are both the outbound and inbound through DFW sleeper flights?
Old Apr 30, 2004, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by djev
Are both the outbound and inbound through DFW sleeper flights?
When I refer to "slepper flight", I mean a flight on which people normally sleep through it.

When you're west-bound to Tokyo, you leave the US in the early morning and arrive mid-afternoon. So it's advisable to stay awake for most of the flight, with a couple of naps in between, so that you can sleep the evening when you arrive in Asia. In that case, you'd want JAL for their superior service and connection in ORD/NRT.

On the way back, you leave Tokyo in the early evening and arrive in the US in mid-morning. Thus it's a good idea to sleep through the whole flight, so your circadian rhythm is in sync when you get in. That's why it really doesn't matter about the service. NRT-DFW-ATL is a bit shorter, the AC in NRT is better than the JAL loung, and clearing DFW immigration is usually fater than ORD. That's why I'd recommend PVG-NRT-DFW-ATL on the return.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by richarddd
Based on comparison of JL and AA in F for JFK-NRT, I'd take JL.

"Japan Airlines' highly acclaimed 'bed-style' seats are now available in Executive Class - Seasons between New York (JL005/006) /Chicago (JL009/010) and Tokyo"
http://www.japanair.com/e/promotions/newcf.php
This is a no-brainer: JL is in a different league. New J seats are operating on JL 9/10 from/to Chicago. I was on this flight (in F) last week.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Plato90s
When I refer to "slepper flight", I mean a flight on which people normally sleep through it.

When you're west-bound to Tokyo, you leave the US in the early morning and arrive mid-afternoon. So it's advisable to stay awake for most of the flight, with a couple of naps in between, so that you can sleep the evening when you arrive in Asia. In that case, you'd want JAL for their superior service and connection in ORD/NRT.

On the way back, you leave Tokyo in the early evening and arrive in the US in mid-morning. Thus it's a good idea to sleep through the whole flight, so your circadian rhythm is in sync when you get in. That's why it really doesn't matter about the service. NRT-DFW-ATL is a bit shorter, the AC in NRT is better than the JAL loung, and clearing DFW immigration is usually fater than ORD. That's why I'd recommend PVG-NRT-DFW-ATL on the return.
I found these flights long enough to do the following:

First 2-3 hours = meal/movie
Next 4-5 hours = sleep (possibly aided)
Next 1-2 hours = snack + partial movie (maybe full movie
Next few hours, another nap
Last hour = wake up, change, etc.

The return flight (NRT-ORD) is at least an hour shorter, which is too bad as it cuts into nap2 + movie2 plan.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:38 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
I agree this is a no brainer. Buy AA J and upgrade very cheaply with 15K miles each way and you fly AA F instead of JL J.

This is a 90k award ticket, BTW.

I am sorry, better learn to read better. Have no idea which I would use on an award ticket. Sorry again for the foolish advice.

Last edited by dallasflyer; May 1, 2004 at 5:45 pm
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I like your approach, dallasflyer! ^ Best of both worlds...

Argh - as it has been poiinted out, this is an ward travel. My case of Halfheimers has kicked in again... (Fortunately, it is only half...)

Originally Posted by dallasflyer
I agree this is a no brainer. Buy AA J and upgrade very cheaply with 15K miles each way and you fly AA F instead of JL J.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 30, 2004 at 10:16 am
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try JL on the outbound, and AA NRT-DFW on the way in. Seems to give the best of both.

Originally Posted by dallasflyer
Now where's that $6k I left lying around to buy a J ticket.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bradford
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try JL on the outbound, and AA NRT-DFW on the way in. Seems to give the best of both.

Now where's that $6k I left lying around to buy a J ticket.
I don't for the LIFE of ME know what is best about AA in ANY direction?

You have a GREAT OPPORTUNITY to take JL. It is a much better product. Why blow it on AA?

This is a long flight. Did you see the new JL business class seats: http://www.japanair.com/e/index.php? Why wouldn't you want a flat seat to sleep, ignoring the better service.

Also, if you have to do both, you might want to consider switching the order so that you can use the Sakura Lounge Annex at NRT as it is vastly superior to AA's facilities, including Pub, Massage + Massage Chairs, etc. (see wbesite).

Last edited by nologic; Apr 30, 2004 at 1:49 pm
Old Apr 30, 2004, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nologic
I don't for the LIFE of ME know what is best about AA in ANY direction?

Well, to take JL NRT-USA requires an overnight in NRT. No availability PVG-NRT on the early flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.