Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA may not be the best airline, but its the best FT board!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

AA may not be the best airline, but its the best FT board!

I'm not saying its NOT the best airline. It could be, I just don't fly them. I started checking the board because I've gotten 70,000 miles through a number of mortgage refis with Countrywide.

A lot of the other boards are completely dead (Air Tran) or stick way too much the the "just the facts ma'am" subject matter. Here at the American board, ya'll actually have some fun - on topic posts be damned!

I mean, threads like this or this that just get completely out of control and go on and on and on and on about some obscure topic? You just don't see that over at Delta and US Air.

I mean, watch this thread... It's probably going to end up on a 3rd page in the next 4 weeks.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:59 am

Well, I AM an AA flyer and have noticed the same thing. Trolling the UA and Alaska boards always seems so dry. Here on the AA board the discussions seem livelier, thats for sure.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by MCOisHOME2ME
I'm not saying its NOT the best airline...
But, it is ! :-:
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:20 pm

Programs: SPG HHonors
Thumbs up I concur...

I concur that the AA board is the best. When bored, I have gone to the WN US and DL boards. They are all dismal, especially US.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
For Gawd's sake don't let anyone from the BA or QF fora see your claim or there could be internecine warfare breaking out on the Oneworld boards.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:49 pm

MCO, sounds like you're just going to have to fly AA and find out how good an airline it really is!
Old Apr 27, 2004, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by kef0913
Well, I AM an AA flyer and have noticed the same thing. Trolling the UA and Alaska boards always seems so dry. Here on the AA board the discussions seem livelier, thats for sure.
Dry? More like a lovefest. UA flyers really like to fawn over UA, sometimes to excess.

Over on the AA board, we do very little fawning. Maybe because our expectations are greater. We expect AA's employees to be professional, so we don't feel the need to praise them when they do their job as described. It could also be because none of us seems to feel the need to justify our choice in the first place. AA didn't go bankrupt, so I guess we all think we're not bankrupt in one way or another.

For all of the above reasons and more, we tend to do the opposite here or at least that is what I've observed. We tend to overanalyze and criticize almost every operational and business decision AA makes. I think that is OK for one reason. It has been said that people often resemble their dogs. Maybe, in our overanalytical ways, AA flyertalkers tend to resemble AA.

So just keep that in mind when you visit.

Now, what's this about AA not being the best airline?
Old Apr 27, 2004, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kef0913
We just have more productive issues to discuss, rather than bash other airlines and boards
Old Apr 27, 2004, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oiRRio
For Gawd's sake don't let anyone from the BA or QF fora see your claim or there could be internecine warfare breaking out on the Oneworld boards.
I'm afraid one has now. Have you seen the QF board? Topics there covering much more important topics from what beer is served in why, through to drinks in QPs to wine served in F

Dave
Old Apr 27, 2004, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by oiRRio
I read those boards also, and they are not nearly as informative.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 3:13 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Yes we are watching so be nice now.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Ditto to what's been said!

Last edited by CharlesMD; Apr 27, 2004 at 4:21 pm
Old Apr 28, 2004, 7:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by millionmiler
I read those boards also, and they are not nearly as informative.
Depends on what questions you are asking. If you ask "How can I use AA miles to upgrade my LAX-SYD QF flight" of course you are not going to be given information as to how to do it, since it can't be done.

Like on any board, ask the right questions - on both the QF and BA boards - and the answers will be forthcoming very quickly.

Dave

(Wanders off to his nearest Qantas Pub for a free beer).
Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA PremEx, HH GLD, Avis PrefSel
AA flyers are eggheads

While new to FT forums, most of the AA FF members I know (quite a few) are eggheads, and revel in the finer aspects of understanding American Airlines and the nebulous and sometimes arcane Aadvantage program. I've been a Aadvantage member for 20 years (almost from the beginning) and it is still good sport to try and figure out what the folks down there in fort worth are really doing with the program.

To many REAL frequent flyers, accumulating miles is the last thing most of us want to think about. My butt is flat it spends so much time on airplane seats. Heck, I don't even want to think about USING miles. I just want to stay home most of the time (although the kids and wife have different opinions )

This forum is home to lots of geeks like me. AA had the original and still the most usable FF program, but one must keep up and study the whole airline operation in order to get the most our a relationship with this airline.

AA has been the most stable carrier of the big six for years, and therefore, they have been the most consistent and somewhat "comfortable" for me to have an ongoing relationship with. Most of the other major carriers who try to emulate what AA does, have had tumultuous periods of LBO's, ESOP's, CEOs being thrown out the door, scandals, massive labor problems, terrible equipment problems, dopey technical staffs, bankruptcies, and the like. AA has had very few of these, and therefore, you get more consistent answers and services than with most of the other larger companies.

This is why I believe that most AA flyers stick with them and know so much about airline operations, the FF program, the fleet, the mgmt team, heck, even what kind of salads are served on certain routes...

UA is the only other carrier that comes close in terms of "community: (yes, I'm gagging as I write that word), but that airline has been in a state of bulemia for too long, and many people have fled.

I just wish Crandall could come back for another 20 years.... Carty was the wrong guy at the wrong time, and Arpey is hiding under his desk not being a leader. The business was much better when guys like Crandall and Kelleher and the like were the totems that ran the industry
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:26 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Hmm are we going to see a oneworld fan brawl spill out? We QF fans are a pretty hardy bunch, mostly fueled by extra free HP's from the QP!*

with love from one of those UA fawns (now, where's my Debussy?)

(* you'll just have to visit the QF forum to figure out what the heck I'm talking about, now won't you? )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.