Can/should we have a "sticky" post w/ some of the basics?

Old Apr 11, 2004, 1:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Can/should we have a "sticky" post w/ some of the basics?

Would it be a good idea to have a "sticky" thread that has the details to some of the very frequently asked questions-- or links to authoritative threads on same? To see how elegantly this can be implemented take a look at this one:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311566

Some obvious ones would be links to threads on:
•Plat/Gold challenge
•lifetime status
•Does AA comp status? (Including the ever popular "does AA ever comp/challenge EXP?"
•Earning BA miles over the Atlantic
•Some basic info on VIP's and EXPness in general. (Can one VIP awards, can one VIP codeshares, etc.)
•Mileage earning and mileage usage on partners.
•Lounge access
•Are all fares upgradable? Which domestic fares get free upgrades? Basics on how upgrades work

Probably a few more that don't come to mind right away. Not looking to cover everything, needless to say, just the "top ten" maybe that come up-- without fail-- at least once a month, with links to the most authoritative thread(s) on same-- and with an emphasis on things that are either undocumented or not adequately explained on AA.com. Might reduce "clutter" significantly-- then again the sticky thread would occupy the top spot every time you look at the forum-- which might be annoying a bit. A worthwhile trade-off? My thinking is "yes."
Old Apr 11, 2004, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I think that would be a fabulous idea.

Jon, would you volunteer to create the sticky post? I think you are one of a handful of folks on the AA forum who truly has a grasp on where to find all the "good stuff" that has been created on the AA forums over the years.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 2:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I'd like to see an advantage Primer, much like the Fewmiles website. Or at least links to it.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 2:21 pm

I agree that this would be helpful. But isn't this basically the same as what FewMiles began a couple years back? I think what's needed is for someone to take over that site from FewMiles -- make a round of edits, updates with recent changes, links to current FT threads, etc. I suspect FewMiles would be agreeable -- could make the old site files available via FTP or in a big ZIP, for transfer to some other hosting location.

Probably better to keep this info on a web site -- well-organized, graphical navigation -- rather than in a plain-text thread. Would definitely still want to link to the site via a sticky post, though.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 3:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

techgirl thanks for the kind words-- I'd gladly participate in finding some of the relevant threads, but would need help!

As far as the Fewmiles website goes, while it "does the job" even to this day (and even with some outdated info) one thing that the threads here give is a little discussion and differing experiences-- "real life" stuff-- that IMHO gives a clearer answer in some cases, if you know what I mean. Then again, a 4 page thread can easily be condensed to a short, concise 100% accurate answer a lot of the time as well, so if the fewmiles website was up to date, that might serve just as well-- I dunno.

One example would be "Can I sign up for the Gold & Plat challenge at the same time?"

Answer: Officially, no. However many have reported that by phoning in at two different times they have ended up signed up for both. That having been said, it's probably better to sign up for Gold challenge then sign up for Plat challenge since-- again, officially-- you can only be signed up for one at a time and becoming Plat is much more important that just getting the 25% gold bonus 1/2 way through.

However, I think some topics have more "facets" and lots of YMMV's and even some things that are a matter of opinion and open to interpretation to some extent, i.e. "Is it worth doing XX,XXX worth of mileage runs just to become EXP?" IMHO, that question is more comprehensively addressed by reviewing some of the longer threads on the subject than what would be on fewmiles site (unless the site included links right back here.)

Another example would be "What does EXP really give you?" And the answer would lie in the numerous examples of great treatment by EXP aagents-- or maybe some feel EXP aagents really can't/don't do anything too special... it's a matter of collective experience as opposed to a simple "EXP aagents can and do go the extra mile"-- which doesn't really tell ya' that much.

So, I dunno.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think a sticky is a great idea. And I would also love to see FewMiles' site updated... but I am grateful for what's there even if it isn't totally up-to-date.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 4:57 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Can't forget to add the once a month "hey where did my miles go?" post
Old Apr 11, 2004, 6:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Not to mention the "if I make EXP late in the year... 8 or 16?" and probably a few others that come up so often we just plain don't notice anymore.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 6:14 pm

Location: New York, NY AA EXP 1MM, Go Arsenal! Yanks in 2006!
My personal favorite is 'How can I find out the fare basis for my itinerary?'.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Great idea Jon.

I think the sticky should include a link to FewMiles site. It really whetted my appetite about FT as it was one of the first things I learned about. Yes, some of it is out of date (I was particularly disappointed that I was late to the 2,500 mile party) but there is still a lot of valuable info there. The explanation of AA fare codes is particularly useful.

Wingnut did a good summary for the BMI program but it is a lot of work. Rather than asking someone to undertake the task of collating the info, how about a post that includes links to past threads that most comprehensively cover the various basic issues.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 7:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oiRRio
...Wingnut did a good summary for the BMI program but it is a lot of work. Rather than asking someone to undertake the task of collating the info, how about a post that includes links to past threads that most comprehensively cover the various basic issues.
Definitely-- no need to re-invent the wheel. And, with the new & improved search function, it should be much easier (the "advanced search" is really fantastic now.) So, if folks like the idea, maybe when they run across a thread that addresses a very commonly asked question particularly well, they can post a link to it here and start out that way, later to start the actual sticky thread itself. That is if people do in fact like the idea.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
This is a great idea and would probably cut down on a lot of the repetitive issues. I found myself searching for FewMiles site the other day when trying to find a copy of the original program award levels (still have a couple hundred thousand of those in my back pocket!). If I can help in any way, let me know.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:02 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
I'm willing to take over the "Unoffical guide" from FewMiles. I just sent a note to him asking for his blessing. I'm sure he'll be happy to get rid of it!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Some obvious ones would be links to threads on:
•Plat/Gold challenge
Would we really need one on challenges? Havent seen a new thread on challenges in maybe.... 2 hours, or so.

I think Jon has a good idea. A lot of new folks sometimes have questions and that is why they come to the forum, and they never think about the search feature. Challenges are oft-queried, and a sticky reference would be a better response than some of those short curt ones that are left to a newbie for their first impression of F-T.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Definitely-- no need to re-invent the wheel. And, with the new & improved search function, it should be much easier (the "advanced search" is really fantastic now.) So, if folks like the idea, maybe when they run across a thread that addresses a very commonly asked question particularly well, they can post a link to it here and start out that way, later to start the actual sticky thread itself. That is if people do in fact like the idea.
a single sticky, of finite scope [limited to top 10 issues at first, maybe expand to 20 later--- mainly links to past threads], would be a grand addition.

I say single, because some forums already look sort of gummed up with sticky.

I say finite (and smallish) scope, because if gets beyond that, people might have to Search it, and that would reduce its effectiveness.

also in hopes of improving the chances it's read, could we not call it just a FAQ in the title. how about a "Welcome! We're glad to have you. BEFORE you ask that urgent question..." sort of thing.

Last edited by martin33; Apr 12, 2004 at 10:09 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.