Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use of BA LHR T1 Lounge with Iberia First Class TIcket?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Use of BA LHR T1 Lounge with Iberia First Class TIcket?

Hi,

I will be using a OW award ticket in First Class, BOS-LHR on AA connecting to LHR-MAD on IB. There is a longish layover at LHR. Can I use the BA lounge in Terminal 1 while waiting for my Iberia flight to Mad?

Thanks
Old Apr 5, 2004, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by olgabolga
Hi,

I will be using a OW award ticket in First Class, BOS-LHR on AA connecting to LHR-MAD on IB. There is a longish layover at LHR. Can I use the BA lounge in Terminal 1 while waiting for my Iberia flight to Mad?

Thanks
You can, presuming the Iberia flight leaves from the same Terminal (Terminal 1). Do note that the walk to certain parts of T1 from the BA lounges in the same terminal can be a walk and then some.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
A few things to consider.

First, I am 99.9% certain that Iberia leaves from Terminal 2, as is the case with nearly all non-U.K. European airlines. In this case, you will not have access to Terminal 1 and, by extension, its lounges.

Second, even if you are leaving from Terminal 1, you will likely not be able to use BA's new First Class lounge. Even though you arrived in First Class on AA and are traveling on a first class award ticket, your IB flight will be in business class, as IB does not offer first class on its intra-Europe flights. The Oneworld rules allow you access to any carrier's first class lounge prior to departure when flying first class, but not afterwards and the fact that you are using a first class award will likely have no effect. You could try to talk your way into the F, but I would't count on it. In any event, BA's Terraces Lounge in Terminal 1 is pretty nice (at least to me) and has showers, if you are so inclined.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PresRDC
A few things to consider.

First, I am 99.9% certain that Iberia leaves from Terminal 2, as is the case with nearly all non-U.K. European airlines. In this case, you will not have access to Terminal 1 and, by extension, its lounges.

Second, even if you are leaving from Terminal 1, you will likely not be able to use BA's new First Class lounge. Even though you arrived in First Class on AA and are traveling on a first class award ticket, your IB flight will be in business class, as IB does not offer first class on its intra-Europe flights. The Oneworld rules allow you access to any carrier's first class lounge prior to departure when flying first class, but not afterwards and the fact that you are using a first class award will likely have no effect. You could try to talk your way into the F, but I would't count on it. In any event, BA's Terraces Lounge in Terminal 1 is pretty nice (at least to me) and has showers, if you are so inclined.
If he is so lucky as to have the flight depart from Terminal 1 (which is likely to be unlikely as you said), then, as an EXP or OneWorld Emerald, he will have access regardless of the onward class of travel as long as he is on a oneworld marketed and operated flight departing from that terminal.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If he is so lucky as to have the flight depart from Terminal 1 (which is likely to be unlikely as you said), then, as an EXP or OneWorld Emerald, he will have access regardless of the onward class of travel as long as he is on a oneworld marketed and operated flight departing from that terminal.
Good call. Didn't check the OP's status. Still, it's an academic argument as it is highly unlikely he is getting into Terminal 1.

As an aside, has anyone had success accessing BA's Terminal 1 F lounge as a AA EXP while traveling on an intra-European flight? We all know BA should grant access, but that does not mean that they are granting access.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 2:38 pm
Suspended

As an aside, has anyone had success accessing BA's Terminal 1 F lounge as a AA EXP while traveling on an intra-European flight? We all know BA should grant access, but that does not mean that they are granting access.
Well, AA EXPs do get access, but, unfortunately for me, with the LHR-Copenhagen flights changing to Terminal 4, Terminal 1 will see me much more rarely.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 5, 2004 at 2:40 pm
Old Apr 5, 2004, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Lounge access

Thanks for all the replies -

Actually - I haven't updated my signature since I have fallen out of EXP - now I'm a loley GOLD, so i can't rely on my status to get my into a OW lounge. That being said - are there any OW lounges in T2 (I didn't realize that that is where IB flew from) that have showers that I'll be able to get into with my First/Business class ticket?

thanks
Old Apr 5, 2004, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually - I haven't updated my signature since I have fallen out of EXP - now I'm a loley GOLD, so i can't rely on my status to get my into a OW lounge. That being said - are there any OW lounges in T2 (I didn't realize that that is where IB flew from) that have showers that I'll be able to get into with my First/Business class ticket?

thanks
I'm sure IB has some kind of lounge or arrangements with another airline (or club operator) for its business class passengers. I would doubt that there will be a shower, though, as, in my experience, the Terminal 2 lounges are pretty basic.

If you have the time, you can use the AA arrivals facility in Terminal 3, which is outside security. To use this option, you will need to clear immigration and customs, but, as you are in first class, you will have access to the Fast Track immmigration lane, which will be pretty quick. Then, when done with your shower, walk over to Terminal 2 (there are underground tunnels) and check-in with IB. There should be fast track security lines in Terminal 2. I would do this only if you have at least three hours between flights, but you could probably do it with less time.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 3:13 am

thanks
oops. Ruby/AA GLD gets you zero lounge access as a oneworld benefit. Your only access rights would be to IB's Biz lounge as an IB Biz passenger.
No oneworld partner lounge access would be allowed unless IB has subcontracted their lounging arrangements at LHR...
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze, LH, FB, Eurostar, SIXT Platinum, SLH, Sofitel Gold, Marriott Silver, Club Lee Gold
I'm sure IB has some kind of lounge or arrangements with another airline (or club operator) for its business class passengers. I would doubt that there will be a shower, though, as, in my experience, the Terminal 2 lounges are pretty basic.

If you have the time, you can use the AA arrivals facility in Terminal 3, which is outside security. To use this option, you will need to clear immigration and customs, but, as you are in first class, you will have access to the Fast Track immmigration lane, which will be pretty quick. Then, when done with your shower, walk over to Terminal 2 (there are underground tunnels) and check-in with IB. There should be fast track security lines in Terminal 2.
- There is certainly an Iberia lounge in T2 (not a contract lounge) - upstairs with the LH and Alitalia facilities; turn left just before Gate 3. Not sure about showers.

- Sadly there is no Fast Track security at T2 - I think it is the only terminal which does not have it. Getting through is anything from 8-10 minutes upwards, depending on how many other flights are leaving.

Enjoy the trip!

(Edited because it just wasn't clear at all...)

Last edited by Johnnie W; Apr 6, 2004 at 6:20 am
Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:32 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Use the Fastrack voucher the FA should give you, clear Immigration and then use the AA arrivals Lounge, then take the tunnel in to IB in Terminal 2.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 11:00 pm
KIR@GCM

Hi,

Thanks
Minor point to consider: BA and IB codeshare on the LHR-MAD route. You will be able to use the BA lounge in T1 if the flight IB flight is operated by BA (IB74xx). If it is on IB metal (IB31xx), you will be able to use the IB lounge in T2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.