Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by cagcag
I want to use AA miles for a oneway ticket from NRT to VNS (JAL to 9W via DEL). Am I allowed a stopover in the transit point (DEL)? AADVANTAGE has given me conflicting info. Th anks
Posted in oneworld forum, so related info.

In CX Asiamiles case, you can not include 9W for oneworld Multi-Carrier award.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
On an AA all partner award you can NOT have a stopover in DEL.

On an AA Explorer award (mileage based) you can stop as many times as you have connecting flights. However, you must use ONLY OneWorld members and use at least two (not counting AA). And the mileage point costs are almost certainly going to be higher than the all partner award.

Given flight costs in India, it might be simpler to pay $$ for the DEL-VNS flight on 9W.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:22 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Moving this to the AA board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
i haven't heard that the rule has been changed. If wanting to go via the mid-east this essentially limits choice to SYD/MEL-LHR on the direct QF services (no flight number change allowed in DXB)
Well my view is that they changed the rules to include going DXB which wasn't the case early on when QF started this route.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by grussellt
I have sent an email to AAdvantage suggesting that South Pacific - Europe awards should now include routes via DOH (and also AMM on RJ). It would help make up for the loss of QF via SIN and BKK. However no response yet.
It would be interesting if they ever reply as this rule is sort of hidden from the public.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:51 pm
Suspended

The rule has existed for a long time. AA did not change any rule to allow QF to be used via DXB. The one-flight number principle has existed also for a long time.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: VA Gold
Originally Posted by grussellt
I have sent an email to AAdvantage suggesting that South Pacific - Europe awards should now include routes via DOH (and also AMM on RJ). It would help make up for the loss of QF via SIN and BKK. However no response yet.
i've just come a cropper on this rule. Wanted to take EY F from CDG-MEL, there was availability too but they want 100,000 miles

Would rather save 40,000 and go in J via HKG/BKK/SIN I think...very annoying
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:13 am

Question from a routing rule newbie

Sorry if this is a newbie question (this is my first interesting miles redemption) - but would you mind telling me if the following would work for a single award?

I'm looking to fly from either ITM or KIX, would like to have a long transfer in KTM, and then end up in SHJ or AAN (or somewhere around there like DXB).

From the AA award chart it looks like I should be able to go from Asia 1 to the Middle East for 30k one way in business class. And I've checked BA.com for award seat availability in business on flights KIX-HKG-KTM (14 hour overnight layover) KTM-DOH-SHJ. Looks like the airlines would be Cathay Pacific/Dragonair, and Qatar Airlines.

Will I have trouble getting this routing booked? Any suggestions for modification? I'm not totally clear on the rule about length of transfer either. There are three KTM-DOH flights per day - do I have to take the earliest one the next day after I arrive or can I take a later one as long as I leave within the 24 hour window?

Thanks!

Last edited by Pickettd; Jan 7, 2014 at 4:35 am Reason: minor clarification
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:55 am
Suspended

24 hours.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Can anyone confirm that it now includes DOH since QR joined ow?

Thanks!
I have been waiting to hear about this, too. As a mostly Europe-based traveler, my options to Africa and S. Pacific are seriously constrained by this stupid rule. There is always plenty of availability on the routes I want through DOH (requiring 2 awards.)
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:33 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Help with AA Award booking UK to Australia

I booked a F class award on EY using AA miles LHR-SYD for next month

The AA website says 80k
The agent tells me 100k (40k to AUH and 60k from AUH)
So I ask her why and she says it is because EY is not in OW

Now I have booked JFK-DEL awards on EY and it has been the same as a BA award in miles (but less copays/fees)

Is the agent simply making it up?

I called again.
The next agent tells me it is because it is going to a third region.
But there are no nonstops between LHR and SYD anyway!

Going on Cathay is 70k + 45k in F!
So what is the 80k award used for from EU to Australia?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It has nothing to do with whether the carrier is, or is not, a oneworld member.

AA awards between Europe and the South Pacific do not permit a connection in the Middle East zone. "Direct" flights, regardless of where they stop, and connections in certain Asian cities, are permitted on a single award.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

From the "AA and Partner Airline Award" thread in the pre-merger AA forum:

"Europe to/from South Pacific:

will allow for connections in Singapore or Bangkok only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed.

**this rule may actually be this now:

Award travel between Europe and the South Pacific will allow for connections in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Narita, Osaka or Singapore only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed."

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 7, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by guv1976

From the "AA and Partner Airline Award" thread in the pre-merger AA forum:
"Europe to/from South Pacific:

will allow for connections in Singapore or Bangkok only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed.

**this rule may actually be this now:

Award travel between Europe and the South Pacific will allow for connections in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Narita, Osaka or Singapore only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed."[/b]
... and DXB for the QF LHR-DXB-MEL and LHR-DXB-SYD flights.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
AADVANTAGE miles from TOKYO to AMRITSAR, INDIA

I want to use AA miles on a coach ticket from Tokyo to Amritsar, India. OW JL flies from NRT to DEL and associate 9W flies from DEL to ATQ. Also OW QR flies NRT to DOH connecting with QR from DOH to ATQ. AAdvantage customer service states that I cannot use 9W on this routing and also QR would require more than the 22.5 thousand miles stated in the OW table for this routing. Have I been given incorrect/incomplete information by AA AAdvantage? Thanks for any advice here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.