Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Post ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

I have a "free one way" question.
I'm planning on going to Thailand in november, but trying to throw in a return trip from hawaii. Its going backwards so I wonder if they'll allow it. Can I book

HNL-LAX (stopover at US gateway), LAX-HKG-BKK

Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exmike
I have a "free one way" question.
I'm planning on going to Thailand in november, but trying to throw in a return trip from hawaii. Its going backwards so I wonder if they'll allow it. Can I book

HNL-LAX (stopover at US gateway), LAX-HKG-BKK

Thanks!
Given the distance is 36% over the MPM for an AA fare, I would doubt that the routing would be allowed
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

I think I may have made a mistake with my booking. Am I wrong to assume that if you cannot book a flight with a overnight stopover if there is a scheduled onward flight, even if there is no award availability? For example, I am flying form KUL-HKG-LAX, There are KUL-HKG award flights available, and there are HKG-LAX onward flights, but an award flight is not available until the next day. Can I still book it?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
I think I may have made a mistake with my booking. Am I wrong to assume that if you cannot book a flight with a overnight stopover if there is a scheduled onward flight, even if there is no award availability? For example, I am flying form KUL-HKG-LAX, There are KUL-HKG award flights available, and there are HKG-LAX onward flights, but an award flight is not available until the next day. Can I still book it?
For international itineraries, as long as your connection time is less than 24 hours, you can book it as a connection. It doesn't matter if your connecting flight is departing the next day.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckpeter
For international itineraries, as long as your connection time is less than 24 hours, you can book it as a connection. It doesn't matter if your connecting flight is departing the next day.
Thanks. great. now i have to pay $150 to tack on the flights. such a newbie
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:42 am

Europe to/from South Pacific:
will allow for connections in Singapore or Bangkok only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed.

**this rule may actually be this now:
Award travel between Europe and the South Pacific will allow for connections in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Narita, Osaka or Singapore only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed.**
Can anyone confirm that it now includes DOH since QR joined ow?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by edy4eva

Thanks!
i haven't heard that the rule has been changed. If wanting to go via the mid-east this essentially limits choice to SYD/MEL-LHR on the direct QF services (no flight number change allowed in DXB)

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jan 4, 2014 at 3:43 am Reason: clarity
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA, AA
mid-travel award change

I have an award ticket ICN-DFW (free stop-over), DFW-IAH, and I've already flown the international segment, ICN-DFW.

Would I be able to change the destination of the final segment by paying the change fee? For instance, from DFW-IAH to DFW-LAX or even DFW-HNL?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by nydad
I have an award ticket ICN-DFW (free stop-over), DFW-IAH, and I've already flown the international segment, ICN-DFW.

Would I be able to change the destination of the final segment by paying the change fee? For instance, from DFW-IAH to DFW-LAX or even DFW-HNL?
Yes. Changing destination is possible, even on a partially flown award.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by edy4eva

Thanks!
I have sent an email to AAdvantage suggesting that South Pacific - Europe awards should now include routes via DOH (and also AMM on RJ). It would help make up for the loss of QF via SIN and BKK. However no response yet.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
OW Stopover on oneway rewards ticket?

I want to use AA miles for a oneway ticket from NRT to VNS (JAL to 9W via DEL). Am I allowed a stopover in the transit point (DEL)? AADVANTAGE has given me conflicting info. Th anks
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by cagcag
I want to use AA miles for a oneway ticket from NRT to VNS (JAL to 9W via DEL). Am I allowed a stopover in the transit point (DEL)? AADVANTAGE has given me conflicting info. Th anks
The AA forum is the best place for information about AA award tickets. There are no standard oneworld rules about when someone can stopover on an award ticket -- the rules regarding rewards are up to the individual airline whose miles/points you are using.
See this thread in the AA forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html

My memory is that stopovers were eliminated from most oneway rewards except to/from NA and then it must be in the NA gateway.
Edited to add: To clarify I was referring to AA here.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jan 4, 2014 at 3:35 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:28 pm
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
OW Stopover on oneway rewards ticket?

I agree with Jerry most airlines have cancelled stopover on one way awards
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Don't hold your breath. This issue has been discussed to death. No question that AA is aware of it.

You forgot about Etihad. Other airlines involved in this issue for connections to Africa include El Al and Gulf Air.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by cagcag
No.

Because you are including 9W, it must be an "all partner award" (as opposed to a "oneworld explorer award"), and these do not allow stopovers except at the North American gateway. Since you are not traveling via North America, no stopover allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.