Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page > ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Old Jan 10, 14, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Originally Posted by inY View Post
According to http://onw.innosked.com/?show=MAP , I don't see a WAW-STR flight on any carrier. You could do WAW-TXL-STR on airberlin, which seems to be the only 2-flight option. Since it's not that far, it's probably cheapest with Avios.
Avios? I don't have BA Avios only AA miles. Is there a way to convert those to avios? Which airline will have the least taxes between AY and AB?
It would be 10,000 AA miles for WAW-TXL-STR (assuming that AB publishes a WAW-STR through-fare) versus 9,000 Avios, so hardly worth making a fuss over. And there is no cost-effective way of converting AAdvantage miles to Avios.
Old Jan 10, 14, 3:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
deleted
Old Jan 10, 14, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Take the train! Much more fun; better views; no undressing at security checkpoints. And in Europe pat downs are not necessarily same-sex, which may require a discussion if you do not like that. At which point the security officer may not speak English (I have no personal experience with Polish TSA but witnessed a similar experience in one of the Nordic countries recently).
Old Jan 12, 14, 1:43 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA, SQ, UA, HYATT, HH, IHG, SPG
Is it allowed to redeem an award with the following routing using JL F class with 70K miles (one way europe-south east asia):

CDG-NRT-CGK
Old Jan 12, 14, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Does AA offer a free stopover on a USA to Hawaii award. For example could clt - lax - hnl - phx - clt have a 3 day stopover in either lax or phx?
Old Jan 12, 14, 6:56 am
Suspended

No...
Old Jan 12, 14, 6:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer View Post
Is it allowed to redeem an award with the following routing using JL F class with 70K miles (one way europe-south east asia):

CDG-NRT-CGK
No, because a connection in Asia 1 is not allowed on a Europe-Asia 2 award.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Jan 12, 14 at 7:05 am
Old Jan 12, 14, 5:17 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
I'm looking for 2xUS-DUB biz flights in Nov. There doesn't appear to be more than 1 such seat available on any flight, which reading on here doesn't seem unusual.

Is there any anecdotal or actually evidence that suggests that AA would/might/never releases another seat to awards, when the one seat is taken.
Old Jan 12, 14, 6:35 pm
Suspended

AA can/does release award seats whenever it deems advisable. It is not predictable.
Old Jan 13, 14, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Was that in relation to my inquiry?

Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
No...
Old Jan 13, 14, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA 1 million, SPG Gold
Award Ticket Held - Tried Technique That Backfired

I tried to use an interesting technique or at least one I had thought was nifty. I placed three award tickets on Hold one-way on AA in Y from LAX - OGG. Economy is 22,500 per ticket one-way. These were the only ones available on the day or near the day we needed. I was planning on waiting out the return tickets for awards or if necessary purchasing one-way tickets home to LAX.

Once I had confirmed our timeshare in Maui which took a couple of days, I then cancelled the AA award ticket Hold in attempt to purchase them using BA miles (12,500 miles per ticket each way).

To test this out, I had made a sample attempt in holding, cancelling AA award tickets and then they almost immediately appeared in the AA and BA system. This time I did it when I needed to book them on BA they did not reappear (did not show on AA either).

I came down to losing the tickets in trying to save 30K miles and trying to get rid of my BA miles. Now I have a week in Maui for a family of 3 and no award tickets. A Lesson Learned.

Any suggestions on booking AA award tickets, LAX - OGG? Traveling July 25 +/- a few days for 7 - 10 days. Prefer coach on AA, since I can get rid of BA miles, but have a good keeping of AA miles that I can use.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 13, 14, 10:58 pm
Suspended

The advice given innumerable times on this forum is that award seats frequently do not go back into inventory once released.
Old Jan 13, 14, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA Platium
Originally Posted by go4bal View Post
I tried to use an interesting technique or at least one I had thought was nifty. I placed three award tickets on Hold one-way on AA in Y from LAX - OGG. Economy is 22,500 per ticket one-way. These were the only ones available on the day or near the day we needed. I was planning on waiting out the return tickets for awards or if necessary purchasing one-way tickets home to LAX.

Once I had confirmed our timeshare in Maui which took a couple of days, I then cancelled the AA award ticket Hold in attempt to purchase them using BA miles (12,500 miles per ticket each way).

To test this out, I had made a sample attempt in holding, cancelling AA award tickets and then they almost immediately appeared in the AA and BA system. This time I did it when I needed to book them on BA they did not reappear (did not show on AA either).

I came down to losing the tickets in trying to save 30K miles and trying to get rid of my BA miles. Now I have a week in Maui for a family of 3 and no award tickets. A Lesson Learned.

Any suggestions on booking AA award tickets, LAX - OGG? Traveling July 25 +/- a few days for 7 - 10 days. Prefer coach on AA, since I can get rid of BA miles, but have a good keeping of AA miles that I can use.

Thank you in advance.
If you only find FF awards one way I suggest you check one way fares for your return before you book. Most of the times that I check the one way fares are almost as much as the RT.
Old Jan 13, 14, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by jagoffee View Post
If you only find FF awards one way I suggest you check one way fares for your return before you book. Most of the times that I check the one way fares are almost as much as the RT.

Thanks. Right now the RT fares are around $800 - 900. One-way fares can be had for around $450+. May wait it out a bit for the Awards. I figure at least the RT fares are not likely to grow higher.
Old Jan 14, 14, 8:44 am

Does AA allow you to ticket a business class award ticket and downgrade to a Y ticket later if it comes available?

Search this Thread