Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Old Jan 8, 14, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"and DXB for the QF LHR-DXB-MEL and LHR-DXB-SYD flights."

But those are "direct" flights (not connections) so the rule prohibiting connections in the Middle East would not apply anyway.
Old Jan 8, 14, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
My guess is flying to DOH exceeds the MPM since you are doing so much back-tracking. As for using 9W, not sure what the agent is saying. Perhaps there was just no availability on the dates you wanted to travel?
Old Jan 8, 14, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by maizenblue07 View Post
My guess is flying to DOH exceeds the MPM since you are doing so much back-tracking. As for using 9W, not sure what the agent is saying. Perhaps there was just no availability on the dates you wanted to travel?
MPM was not even discussed by agent. I tried multiple dates with agent but she said still no go; I don't believe it was an issue with dates on 9W. Maybe I should just try another agent? Is a single stopover in DEL allowed on an international award travel with AA, do you know?
Old Jan 8, 14, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

In order to price as a single award, the "over-water" carrier must have a published through-fare that permits the particular routing. Otherwise, the itinerary will (correctly) price as two separate awards. That's just the way the AAdvantage program works.
Old Jan 8, 14, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA 1.1 MM/LT Gold
Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
I want to use AA miles on a coach ticket from Tokyo to Amritsar, India. OW JL flies from NRT to DEL and associate 9W flies from DEL to ATQ. Also OW QR flies NRT to DOH connecting with QR from DOH to ATQ. AAdvantage customer service states that I cannot use 9W on this routing and also QR would require more than the 22.5 thousand miles stated in the OW table for this routing. Have I been given incorrect/incomplete information by AA AAdvantage? Thanks for any advice here.
As this pertains to the pre-merger American Airlines, it is being moved to that forum and into the relevant, existing thread.

As noted in the Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, questions and information pertaining to the existing AA or US operations should go in those forums as it will be quite some time before the two entities operate as a single airline.

Your understanding is appreciated.

/Moderator
Old Jan 8, 14, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
Is a single stopover in DEL allowed on an international award travel with AA, do you know?
A stopover would not be allowed.
Old Jan 8, 14, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffI View Post
I booked a F class award on EY using AA miles LHR-SYD for next month

The AA website says 80k
The agent tells me 100k (40k to AUH and 60k from AUH)
So I ask her why and she says it is because EY is not in OW

Is the agent simply making it up?

I called again.
The next agent tells me it is because it is going to a third region.
But there are no nonstops between LHR and SYD anyway!

Going on Cathay is 70k + 45k in F!
So what is the 80k award used for from EU to Australia?

As mentioned, going on EY will class as 2 awards

If you travel on Cathay Pacific however , you should be able to get it as a single award as long as you are not stopping over in Hong Kong, but just connecting

Be aware though that Cathay Pacific does not offer 1st class on the services between Hong Kong and Australia

If you want 1st class the whole way on a single award, I think that you are pretty much limited to Qantas who does offer LHR-SYD/MEL ( since it is a direct flight , that it stops off in Dubai doesn't matter )

There is also BA, but that will incur a large additional payment in surcharges GBP247 on a one way trip oe GBP494 on a return trip

Another option for 80k is Malaysian Airlines , but again from KUL-Australia will be business class only

if you can't get Qantas, the best value to Australia with 1st the whole way is likely to be QR or EY but will cost 100k
Old Jan 8, 14, 12:45 pm

I think there is some snag combining Jet and OW partners where 2 separate awards have to be combined. At least that is what happened to me when I inquired about going from India to So Am on 9W/IB.

If the miles are an issue, maybe you could leave India from a different city serviced by one of the gulf airlines who also probably fly to Tokyo. Amristar to Delhi for instance is not that far on a train and Indian trains can be quite nice even in 3rd class.

Or certainly JAL from DEL > Tokyo would work.
Old Jan 8, 14, 1:10 pm

I have a one-way award ticket booked from SGN-HKG and then HKG-PVG-LAX (the SGN-HKG and HKG-PVG legs are on Cathay Pacific; the PVG-LAX leg is on AA), maximizing the stopover so that I have 24 hours in Hong Kong. Roughly from 3pm on a Saturday to 3pm on a Sunday.

Ideally I'm looking for better award space to open up so that I can fly HKG-LAX either nonstop on Cathay or almost-nonstop via SFO, *or*, on JAL through NRT, which has better timing and, frankly, substantially better F product than AA.

Can I change the itinerary once I have flown my first leg (SGN-HKG), or am I locked into the entire itinerary as soon as I set foot on the SGN-HKG plane? I'm hoping award space on CX or JAL opens up beforehand, but it seems to be opening up at the 24-48 hour mark, which is risky. But if I find out, once I land in HKG, that award space is available on a nonstop the following day (assuming within the 24-hr stopover window, that is), I'd love to be able to switch the next leg to that rather than the laborious HKG-PVG-LAX route on AA.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 8, 14, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by ndesq View Post
I have a one-way award ticket booked from SGN-HKG and then HKG-PVG-LAX (the SGN-HKG and HKG-PVG legs are on Cathay Pacific; the PVG-LAX leg is on AA), maximizing the stopover so that I have 24 hours in Hong Kong. Roughly from 3pm on a Saturday to 3pm on a Sunday.

Ideally I'm looking for better award space to open up so that I can fly HKG-LAX either nonstop on Cathay or almost-nonstop via SFO, *or*, on JAL through NRT, which has better timing and, frankly, substantially better F product than AA.

Can I change the itinerary once I have flown my first leg (SGN-HKG), or am I locked into the entire itinerary as soon as I set foot on the SGN-HKG plane? I'm hoping award space on CX or JAL opens up beforehand, but it seems to be opening up at the 24-48 hour mark, which is risky. But if I find out, once I land in HKG, that award space is available on a nonstop the following day (assuming within the 24-hr stopover window, that is), I'd love to be able to switch the next leg to that rather than the laborious HKG-PVG-LAX route on AA.

Thoughts?
Unfortunately I don't think that's possible, given the way the airlines do ticketing and issuing. Once you started on your SGN-HKG leg, you have begun travel on the ticket. I don't think AA will have the time or means to change your ticket at that point (short of flight cancellation or other operational reasons).

I hope someone else have a different experience and can prove me wrong, but my understanding is that voluntary change mid-journey would not be possible, particularly in your case.
Old Jan 8, 14, 1:49 pm
Suspended

We have a thread about this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...has-begun.html
Old Jan 8, 14, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
Thanks, though none of the posts in the thread dealt with keeping the same origin/destination cities but changing the routing mid-itinerary...
Old Jan 8, 14, 7:00 pm
ffI

Programs: AA 2MM, US CP, DL PM, UA 1k <=> HH DM, SPG/ClubC/Marr G, Hyatt/IHG Plat, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
"Europe to/from South Pacific:
will allow for connections in Singapore or Bangkok only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed. ** this rule may actually be this now:
Award travel between Europe and the South Pacific will allow for connections in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Narita, Osaka or Singapore only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed."
But if connections in HKG are allowed, why is CX F 70+45k?
Old Jan 8, 14, 7:09 pm
Suspended

It's not. Europe <-> South Pacific in first class is 80K AA miles. It would be 115K AA miles only if you had a stopover in Asia 2.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Jan 8, 14 at 7:57 pm
Old Jan 8, 14, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Dirt BA Gold SPG GLD HH GLD
Can anyone give me some more award ideas for DFW-DEL for the beginning of February?

I'm planning to fly EY over - DFW-IAD-AUH-DEL, but I'm going to have an overnight connection in AUH.

I've thought about buying a WT+ ticket on BA and trying to upgrade using Avios, but there is no availability.

I'm having trouble finding any availability on the return. I'm going to try KVS to look at JL and AY. I've thought about *A as well, but again I'm running into availability issues again. Do they open up F and J as time approaches?

Some of these questions might be better served in other forums.

Search this Thread