Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:06 pm

I tried to ticket the following 2 itineraries

Itin 1.
SFO-LAX-ORD-NRT-SGN in AA F, AA F, JL F, JL J

Itin 2.
SFO - JFK - NRT -SGN in AA F, JL F, JL J

Itin 2 didn't ticket. I called and EXP desk said the award should cost 100k miles, 32.5k for SFO-JFK, and 67.5k for JFK-SGN because I'm backtracking. Isn't Itin 1 backtracking as well? I got eticket for Itin 1.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy

Itin 1.

Itin 2.

Itin 2 didn't ticket. I called and EXP desk said the award should cost 100k miles, 32.5k for SFO-JFK, and 67.5k for JFK-SGN because I'm backtracking. Isn't Itin 1 backtracking as well? I got eticket for Itin 1.
Itin 1 - your 'over water' carrier is AA, and it's known that AA can be more flexible with the rules when it is the overwater carrier (and/or its fare rules allow the routing)

Itin 2 - your over water carrier is JL. So JL must publish a SFO-SGN fare that allows your proposed routing (or a fare that has no specified routing and whose MPM+25% allows your routing)
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by pandaperth

Itin 1.

Itin 2.

Itin 1 - your 'over water' carrier is AA, and it's known that AA can be more flexible with the rules when it is the overwater carrier (and/or its fare rules allow the routing)

Itin 2 - your over water carrier is JL. So JL must publish a SFO-SGN fare that allows your proposed routing (or a fare that has no specified routing and whose MPM+25% allows your routing)
JL appears to be the over-water carrier in both of the itineraries cited.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by guv1976
Oops, yes you are right
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Good catch, and, agreed. And as such, the JL filed fares appear to have a MPM of 9396, so SFO - JFK - NRT -SGN (which is major back-tracking,) not surprisingly, exceeds the MPM + 25% generally allowed on MPM files fares.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:18 pm

Yes, JL is the over the water carrier in both cases.
So the ORD route went through because it's still under MPM*1.25?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Yes, JL is the over the water carrier in both cases.
So the ORD route went through because it's still under MPM*1.25?
Well, it -is- under that, so, I'd say that's a pretty good assumption-- with the standard caveat that sometimes we find surprises and or unexplainable rejections/approvals outside of the info we do have.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Wow, quite interesting to see your post here, welcome back?

As I am relatively new to this world, I have not seen your live posts here before.

I believe TB will be fine, right?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Wow, quite interesting to see your post here, welcome back?

As I am relatively new to this world, I have not seen your live posts here before.

I believe TB will be fine, right?
Yes, travelingbetter will live on and be greatly improved by my posting both here and there. In fact, getting reactivated here was a key, essential piece of the complicated puzzle to the path to be able to get TB back on it's feel, which I hope to do in short order. Of course, recent changes at AA were key there as well.

And, trust me, strange for me to see my live posts here as well-- but very happy to be back.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:36 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Rules for within 1 zone award

Hi,

I am wondering if my understanding is correct.
I read and understood that for within a single zone award, the MPM is the direct distance between the start and the end destination within that zone with a 25% MPM over.
Is this a correct understanding?

I was trying to maximize (and do a crazy routing), KUL-HKG-SIN-CMB. When the agent found all seats available, I was told that I would be charged 2x the OW award because it was not the direct routing (no flights found) and that they have no fare for this routing. Help desk and pricing dept. could not provide any answer as to why?

My question, is is because of the MPM ruling rather than the fare rule that it is not possible to do such a routing?

Cheers!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

I am wondering if my understanding is correct.
I read and understood that for within a single zone award, the MPM is the direct distance between the start and the end destination within that zone with a 25% MPM over.
Is this a correct understanding?

I was trying to maximize (and do a crazy routing), KUL-HKG-SIN-CMB. When the agent found all seats available, I was told that I would be charged 2x the OW award because it was not the direct routing (no flights found) and that they have no fare for this routing. Help desk and pricing dept. could not provide any answer as to why?

My question, is is because of the MPM ruling rather than the fare rule that it is not possible to do such a routing?

Cheers!
Your assumption of what MPM is not accurate. MPM is based on the fares or is a published number. It is higher than the direct distance between two points. In order to find out the MPM, you have to look at the fare that is applicable.

I recommend you sign up for a service like Expertflyer, which can give you the fares available in a origin-destination pair market, including MPM fares. This can come in handy when you need to argue with an agent about whether an itinerary can be redeemed for a single award. I probably saved 100K - 150K miles in the last few years, just by knowing the routing rules and being able to argue for it.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:44 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Your assumption of what MPM is not accurate. MPM is based on the fares or is a published number. It is higher than the direct distance between two points. In order to find out the MPM, you have to look at the fare that is applicable.

I recommend you sign up for a service like Expertflyer, which can give you the fares available in a origin-destination pair market, including MPM fares. This can come in handy when you need to argue with an agent about whether an itinerary can be redeemed for a single award. I probably saved 100K - 150K miles in the last few years, just by knowing the routing rules and being able to argue for it.
Thanks for confirming, that was what I thought. Anyway, I checked for a Business and economy ticket for the exact same routing and carriers, but I do not see in ITA any MPM information, what I see is that the fare can be used to form any combinations, stopovers, open jaws, etc.

Any idea why both AA help desk and Pricing dept is not able to tell me why exactly this needs to be issued as 2 rewards? I don't even know how to argue when they are not able to tell me the reason.

Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:02 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Your routing is way over the MPM (1831):

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.4 - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: KUL-HKG-SIN-CMB]
Code:

CTY   DC   TPM   CUM   MPM  DC SUR  HGL   LWL   25M  XTRA       
KUL 3                                                           
HKG 3 EH  1572  1572  1886  EH  0M   314     0  2357     0      
SIN 3 EH  1594  3166   235  EH EXC     0  2873   293     0      
CMB 3 EH  1709  4875  1831  EH EXC     0  2587  2288     0
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:07 am

Thanks for confirming, that was what I thought. Anyway, I checked for a Business and economy ticket for the exact same routing and carriers, but I do not see in ITA any MPM information, what I see is that the fare can be used to form any combinations, stopovers, open jaws, etc.

Any idea why both AA help desk and Pricing dept is not able to tell me why exactly this needs to be issued as 2 rewards? I don't even know how to argue when they are not able to tell me the reason.

Thanks.
I haven't seen ITA matrix fare details display containing MPM or routing information. I use Expertflyer for that. KVS posted the MPM information above. I am not sure if their tool has fare routing rules information, but I am sure they can clarify.

My understanding that you need either an MPM fare or a specific permitted routing in a published fare for your primary carrier.

I wouldn't count on front-line personnel to have the full knowledge to explain everything. This is why it's important to arm yourself with the right tools and knowledge, to push for those edge cases.

In any case, I don't think any self-respecting carrier would publish a fare that permits you to bounce around Southeast Asia just to get from KUL to CMB.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:56 am

Incorporating US Air flight into old Partner Award

Sorry if this was addressed before. I have a partner award (no legs flown yet) from DCA-JFK-HKG-BKK booked pre-merger. I'm hoping to change the first leg from an AA flight to a US Air flight - DCA-LGA-HKG-BKK with DCA-LGA on a later date. Rep is telling me this will require reinstatement of award. That's not true, is it? Still a partner award, simply changing outbound travel date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.