Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:38 am
Suspended

Call back. But I think the real problem is that all of CX's published BOS -> KUL fares are constructed instead of through fares. AA telephone agents often give the wrong reason for why a desired award itinerary is correctly denied. Perhaps if you began the award in ORD, the itinerary would be approved.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Feb 5, 2014 at 3:49 am
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Is this valid on CX / AA? HKG-JFK (stopover) - DEN? CX website shows all flights to Denver go through LAX or SFO.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:47 pm
Suspended

How would you get to DEN from JFK?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
How would you get to DEN from JFK?
Via ORD or DFW, presumably.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:30 pm

Call back. But I think the real problem is that all of CX's published BOS -> KUL fares are constructed instead of through fares. AA telephone agents often give the wrong reason for why a desired award itinerary is correctly denied. Perhaps if you began the award in ORD, the itinerary would be approved.
Thanks. Called back tonight and the agent didn't blink an eye.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC AA
Via ORD or DFW, presumably.
The exact routing matters.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Thanks. Called back tonight and the agent didn't blink an eye.
You're not in the clear until the itinerary has been reviewed and ticketed. That is not done by a telephone agent.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:59 am

You're not in the clear until the itinerary has been reviewed and ticketed. That is not done by a telephone agent.
Whoops Crossing my fingers.

Edit: and ticketed about 15 minutes after my post! Trying to give me a heart attack, Austinrunner?

Last edited by cmn.jcs; Feb 6, 2014 at 7:36 am Reason: Update on ticket status
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:06 pm

The exact routing matters.
I haven't looked for availability yet. Just trying to figure out if it's a valid destination. I assume I can't do HKG-JFK-ORD-DEN cause CX fly to ORD directly. Will it let me do HKG-JFK-DFW-DEN?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by adamak
I haven't looked for availability yet. Just trying to figure out if it's a valid destination. I assume I can't do HKG-JFK-ORD-DEN cause CX fly to ORD directly. Will it let me do HKG-JFK-DFW-DEN?
I don't think it matters whether CX flies to ORD directly, but the fare rules matter.

Data point: I have successfully ticketed HKG-JFK-(stop)-DFW-MEX.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:10 pm

Sorry for stupid question. So my last leg (free stopover) has to be anywhere in the N. American zone, right? I can't go to Europe?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by adamak
Sorry for stupid question. So my last leg (free stopover) has to be anywhere in the N. American zone, right? I can't go to Europe?
Not a stupid question, but not really related to the free stopover in a single award. Since AA, with some exceptions, doesn't allow you to transit a third zone traveling between two zones, if you fly Asia - Europe and transit in the US, you will be charged two separate awards Asia - US and US - Europe.

You could have two free stopovers though. Asia - US gateway stopover - XXX and YYY - US gateway stopover - Europe.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:30 pm
Suspended

You want to do HKG -> JFK (stopover) -> Europe? You cannot on one award.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:38 pm

Thanks. I just want to figure out where (furthest) i can fly to with free stopover.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If I book BOS-ORD-HKG-XXX in F/J as appropriate, and availability later opens up JFK-HKG, I can switch with no fee, correct?"

You can switch BOS-ORD-HKG-XXX to BOS-JFK-HKG-XXX if award space opens up on both the BOS-JFK leg and the JFK-HKG leg. But if you only find space on the JFK-HKG leg, but not on the BOS-JFK leg, there would be a charge for changing the award's origin from BOS to JFK.
If any BOS-JFK exists prior to the JFK-HKG, it would be possible to change to that flight, taking the gateway stopover at JFK. Then once that's been ticketed, just call up and drop the initial segment at no charge. I had no issues removing OMA-DFW-LGA from OMA-DFW-LGA(stop)JFK-HKG-BKK for no charge with no status. (Award started as OMA-ORD-HKG-BKK, too.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.