ARCHIVE: MileSAAver award reduction / scarcity 2011 - Dec 2014

Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
While I know seat maps are not always accurate as to unsold seats, but there are lots of empty bc seats for lots of dates in January 2012 and expert flyer is showing J7's on most flights. How did the agent conclude that they are selling lots of these?
Vivid imagination
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chazas
This is not really the issue. Historically, partner biz/first international awards have showed significantly less availability than awards on AA's own metal, so the best recourse has usually been to take AA's main flights overseas (e.g., to LHR or to NRT). If partner awards are now much easier to get than awards on AA's on planes, then overall award availability has been drastically reduced.
... and the chances of AA customers having to pay a fuel surcharge for mileage ticket redemption has been increased. And a lot of that fuel surcharge revenue is nothing but cash in AA's pocket and yet another reduction in the value customers get out of AA miles/mileage tickets.

Originally Posted by nrr
If they aren't releasing bc saver award tickets, and people aren't purchasing bc seats (do people really pay $6000 for a bc ticket) does that mean there will be more "C" class seats to use with SWU's.
Doesn't miles+co-pay to upgrade into C generate more revenue and/or income for AA than a miles-only ticket taking a seat in the same cabin? That could be motivation enough to test what can be done to substitute miles+co-pay customers in a cabin for mileage-only customers in the same.

The question ought to follow if miles+co-pay to upgrade generates more revenue and/or income for AA than a SWU-upgraded ticket. That could guide allocation determinations too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 27, 2011 at 2:11 am
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:37 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder

The question ought to follow if miles+co-pay to upgrade generates more revenue and/or income for AA than a SWU-upgraded ticket. That could guide allocation determinations too.
BUT if SWU's should become difficult or impossible to use, this would be less of an impetus for pax to strive to become exp [free domestic upg's are nice, but the difference on (most) domestic flts. between y and f is not all that great]. (my post--to which you responded--was part in jest, hence the "big grin".
But all of this, doesn't get to the real issue of this thread "where have all the intl. bc savers tickets gone..."
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: A few
mmm i recall when i switched to dl about 18 months ago everyone telling me good luck with those skypesos... well jfk-lhr is wide open for four of us over the next twelve months at the low 100k level and dl even have flat beds.

this is a major detraction from aa miles and suspect it is down to them liking the sharing of yq fees or the extra miles in forcing you to pay for "first" class
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
I just checked ZRH which normally has decent availability all the time for sAAver awards and it too has dried up with less than favorable options for sAAver awards in business/first.

Wonder if this is a change in strategy to release seats closer to travel dates and this is just a lag in iming; or, if they plan to make changes to redemption amounts and they are not going to open inventory till then; or, if, they are anticipating a high amount of redemptions and are attempting to limit inventory; finally, it could have to do with the Olympic games. There is a lot of highend travel to/from those areas in preperation for the games.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
It's amazing that Delta's paltry availability is better than AA's availability these days....
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:33 pm
Suspended

AUS -> LHR MileSAAver availability on AA metal in J (F domestically) from now to just before the end of time according to the Mayan calendar:
January 11, 17, 18, 24, 25, 31
February 1, 7, 14, 15, 21, 22, 29
March 6, 7, 13, 20, 21
April 3, 4, 10, 11, 18, 24, 25
May 15, 22
June 5, 12, 27
July 3, 10

AUS -> LHR MileSAAver availability on AA metal in F from now to just before the end of time according to the Mayan calendar:
July 11, 12

AUS -> FRA MileSAAver availability on AA metal in J (F domestically) from now to just before the end of time according to the Mayan calendar:
October 12
January 17, 18, 24, 25, 31
February 2, 15, 16
March 1

AUS -> MAD MileSAAver availability on AA metal in J (F domestically) from now to just before the end of time according to the Mayan calendar:
November 14
December 3, 9
January 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 31
February 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27
March 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 19, 21, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 31
April 1, 4, 5, 7, 14, 16, 23, 27, 30
June 26
July 4, 10

AUS -> GIG MileSAAver availability on AA metal in J (F domestically) from now to just before the end of time according to the Mayan calendar:
August 27
March 6, 27, 28, 31
April 3, 4, 21, 24, 28
May 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23, 26, 31
June 1, 2, 6, 8, 12, 16

Clearly, AA wants me to travel to MAD (or GIG in May) instead of LHR or FRA. Coincidence? I think not! I was not born yesterday!

Last edited by Austinrunner; Aug 28, 2011 at 12:58 pm
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Here, here! As President Franklin Roosevelt once said, "There is nothing to fear but fear itself!"

AUS -> LHR MileSAAver availability on AA metal in J (F domestically) from now to just before the end of time according to the Mayan calendar:
January 11, 17, 18, 24, 25, 31
February 1, 7, 14, 15, 21, 22, 29
March 6, 7, 13, 20, 21
April 3, 4, 10, 11, 18, 24, 25
May 15, 22
June 5, 12, 27
July 3, 10

AUS -> LHR MileSAAver availability on AA metal in F from now to just before the end of time according to the Mayan calendar:
July 11, 12

AUS -> FRA MileSAAver availability on AA metal in J (F domestically) from now to just before the end of time according to the Mayan calendar:
October 12
January 17, 18, 24, 25, 31
February 2, 15, 16
March 1

AUS -> MAD MileSAAver availability on AA metal in J (F domestically) from now to just before the end of time according to the Mayan calendar:
November 14
December 3, 9
January 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 31
February 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27
March 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 19, 21, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 31
April 1, 4, 5, 7, 14, 16, 23, 27, 30
June 26
July 4, 10
Pretty poor. Basically, unless you go off season, you have to pay AAnytime level. And of course, if you are connecting anywhere, that means 2 awards --- one for AA and then another for for the connecting partner space.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover
Pretty poor. Basically, unless you go off season, you have to pay AAnytime level...

Even off season...just look at late October and November. I thought those were off season periods and I see next to nothing.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 777lover
And of course, if you are connecting anywhere, that means 2 awards --- one for AA and then another for for the connecting partner space.
Nope. All-partner awards allow for mixing and matching of AA and its partners on a single award.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Nope. All-partner awards allow for mixing and matching of AA and its partners on a single award.
Since when does the AAdvantage All-Airline Award Chart -- which covers those awards mixing and matching of AA and its partners -- have AAnytime award pricing on it?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:32 pm
Suspended

When did I say it does? I think you already know the answer to your own question.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:44 pm
Suspended

When did I say it does? I think you already know the answer to your own question.
I think you already know the answer to your own question, even as I never said you said it does.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/f...ward-chart.jsp -- which is the award chart that has AAnytime pricing on it -- notes that it is a chart (with AAnytime pricing) for American Airlines, American Eagle and American Connection flights. The only indication about pricing of awards including partners that comes up on that chart with AAnytime pricing involves a referral in the direction of another chart, that of the AAdvantage Partner Airline Travel Award Chart / AAdvantage All-Airline Award Chart which doesn't have AAnytime award pricing on it.

The question is: "Since when does the AAdvantage All-Airline Award Chart -- which covers those awards mixing and matching of AA and its partners -- have AAnytime award pricing on it?" I don't have an answer to this question.

AA does say that AAdvantage Participating Airline Awards and oneworld Awards "are MileSAAver awards and as such are subject to special seating limitations and to certain travel embargo dates."

Where on AA.com does it say: (a) that AAdvantage Participating Airline Awards are/include AAnytime awards at a single award price; and/or (b) that combining an AAnytime Award with a partner flight using miles is done using a single award price as noted on the All-Airline/Partner award chart or even as noted on the award chart that has AAnytime award pricing on it?

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 27, 2011 at 4:20 pm
Old Aug 27, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by justageek
Agree completely.

At the very least, the current thread title is misleading, as it lumps together T, U, and Z, and says "they're back" which is demonstrably not true for U.

A new thread, focused on U to Europe, would be ideal.
Actually, U was back for a short period of time. U was available for a short period of time about 10 days back. I had been waiting for flights and was able to snag 4 J saver tickets. There were 7 available on multiple flights when I booked. They were either taken or zeroed out. I wouldn't be surprised if available J seats were taken quickly. If you look at this thread and see how many people were waiting for availablity and multiply that by all the people who were waiting and didn't post/not FTers etc., it would not take long for available seats to be taken. I think with the number of miles out there due to CCs, there are ALOT of people snapping up seats. My personal guess is that there will be more seats available next year after many noobs use up their extra miles and drop out of the miles race. But of course I could be all wet.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
IIRC, "MileSAAver" is a fancy marketing name for what used to be a normal, standard award. AAnytime awards were introduced as an extra option for people to use if they really, really had to travel and no regular awards were available -- i.e. spend twice as many miles to get a flight even when no award seats were left. Fair enough: Paying double for an award seat could be a useful option for some people in extreme circumstances.

Elimintating normal (read "MileSAAver") award availability, as that seems to be the de facto situation on some routes now, would be a cheap and patronizing way to get us to spend twice as many miles as we should for awards. Despite their name, "MileSAAver" awards were never supposed to be cut-rate or bargain basement awards; Rather, they were the standard rate, and "AAnytime" awards were their fat, overpriced cousins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.