Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Schedule change well in advance: What are my options/what would you do?

I recently found out that my SAN-ORD-MSN flights for Thanksgiving have undergone a sever schedule change. Something moved by a few minutes, so my connection to the last ORD-MSN of the night went illegal by 5min. I was rebooked on an much earlier flight. The problem is I'm driving down from LA (F is much cheaper ex-SAN) and can't make an earlier flight. I was given the following options:

Later flight out of SAN but connecting via DFW (unacceptable, won't pay for F for 800mi on RJ)

Overnight in Chicago (really, really don't want to fly on Thanksgiving and don't like to walk away from a segment unless I absolutely have to)

Refund (doesn't help now that other airlines' prices are higher than when I booked months ago)

What I proposed:

Fly me out of LAX

Have my travel terminate in ORD (per their rules no reroutes allowed on schedule changes w/o additional fare collection)

Force book the illegal connection with the understanding I might miss (which they said can't even be forced)

I think I've given reasonable options given the changes they've imposed, but what haven't I thought of? What can I expect regarding someone bending rules on reroutes, or am I SOL? If I accept the change, is there anything I should be offered in compensation, or is this just a "take it or leave it (refund)" situation?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Wow that doesn't sound too good. It looks like final ORD-MSN is at 9:10pm which is limiting. Since LAX and SAN aren't co-terminals, I can understand why they wouldn't allow you to switch but I'd call back and see if you can get supervisors authorization, but again the validity of your ticket is a SAN-MSN basis; NOT LAX-MSN. Agents previously could override minium connection times, but I've only had that done by an AAngel during IRROPs via MIA.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JumboD
What I proposed:

Fly me out of LAX

Have my travel terminate in ORD (per their rules no reroutes allowed on schedule changes w/o additional fare collection)
When you say you were rebooked on a "much earlier flight," I'm assuming the change was more than 90 minutes. That seems to be the magic number for AA being flexible with changes.

I think you'd stand a good chance of changing originating airports, but not so good changing origin and destination. Your options are a refund or AA finding a schedule that will suit you.

Any other compensation due? No.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker
When you say you were rebooked on a "much earlier flight," I'm assuming the change was more than 90 minutes. That seems to be the magic number for AA being flexible with changes.

I think you'd stand a good chance of changing originating airports, but not so good changing origin and destination. Your options are a refund or AA finding a schedule that will suit you.

Any other compensation due? No.
Yes, I was scheduled to leave on a flight at 2:45pm and they moved me to a 10am, with the option of a noon, so either way, it's more than 90min. And to clarify, I meant that I'd be happy to leave from LAX and go to MSN, or to leave out of SAN on my original afternoon flight and just terminate in Chicago, skipping the MSN part. I'd prefer the LAX option, but either works well for me. I'd have booked one of those from the start but the price of F was almost double and I didn't mind the little drive down to SAN.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JumboD
Later flight out of SAN but connecting via DFW (unacceptable, won't pay for F for 800mi on RJ)
Have you asked if they'll refund the fare difference down to a coach fare? No idea if that will work, but the 12:30 PM SAN-DFW looks like the best option schedule-wise. Honestly, I don't think there's much difference between the 800 mile flight DFW-MSN and the 100 mile ORD-MSN. Given boarding 20 minutes before departure and taxi time, you'll still spend an hour or more on the RJ -- doesn't feel that different to me. Also, I find the Chautauqua planes which now fly MSN-ORD somewhat less comfortable (less seat padding) than Eagle, which still flies MSN-DFW.

If you can swing this, this is a good option if the city of Madison is your destination. The Van Galder bus from O'Hare to Madison is convenient and more comfortable than an RJ anyway (particularly the seats in the back, which tend to have extra leg room).
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Does your fare basis require roundtrip travel? Many F fare do not. If not, you could ask if they could split it into two one-ways, and then choose the option to overnight in ORD.

When you get to ORD, if elite, ask to standby onto the (illegal) MSN flight. Not sure the rules on this - it's not same day on the standby segment, but is same day from the connection? If that gets denied, then take the bus, knowing the separate one-ways means the discarded segment won't affect the return trip.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:15 am
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
equipment change CDG-DFW AA49

my own experience with schedule changes.. actually not time but equipment.

I ticketed the segment CDG-DFW for September originally in 777. they changed to 767. I called EXP and explained I booked this flight specifically for the 777 aircraft (I was in coach) .

they told me I could change routing @ no cost if I want.

my evips cleared so I didn't change but it is good to know.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:26 pm

A little (non) update on this: several emails to customer relations essentially quoted some BS from the COC about what I was entitled to in the event of a schedule change, and that beyond AA's stated responsibility, they would not work with me. Since I was relatively indifferent between LAX/SNA/SAN and MSN/MKE/ORD, I gave them plenty of options, but was told I could either take a different SAN-MSN (times all sucked) or pony up the fare difference for a different route (no thanks).

So I visited my old friend Orbitz, and what did I find? DL offering o/w LAX-MKE for $420 + tax in F. I can even try out the 330 LAX-ATL if I please. AA's lowest o/w fare on this route is $909 + tax, for those keeping track. Since I won't requalify for PLT, no big deal that I'll lose the miles.

So, AA: by not budging and making some kind of compromise (even to the tune of $150 by booking me on an LAX-ORD KUP and turning my two o/w tickets into r/t) you are going to lose about $520 in revenue on my original ticket, most of that revenue will go to your competitor, and there's a good chance I'm not going to remember to cancel my (refundable) ticket until the day before travel.

And with only 50k miles left in the bank and little use for lifetime GLD (almost at 1mm), who knows, maybe I'll actually like DL and decide to make a go of them next year (especially now that all transcon aircraft have int'l J seats).
Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:40 pm

Well, this should be the final update: AA came through completely by accident. I was about to book the DL ticket when I decided to try AA one more time and they were now selling LAX-MKE at the same price as SAN-MSN, so was able to get acceptable times.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I booked a cheap AA one-way trip three months ago - less than $150.

In the past couple weeks, I changed my travel plans and now I no longer need the flight at all.

Today, I received an email stating that the flights have changed. Both of them.

The wrinkle: both were changed in my favor - leaving later and arriving earlier, yet still leaving a legal connection in the middle. (In other words, pretty hard for me to call AA and really strenuously complain that they're forcing me to sit around in Syracuse less and getting me home to MCI sooner.)

Is it worth a call at all? Any chance they might issue a voucher per the rules in the first post of this thread? I completely don't expect a cash refund and frankly wouldn't even call for a voucher if it didn't seem like this was a fairly defined published policy.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Bump...anyone ever been in my situation??
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:37 pm

Did the connection period get shortened such that the meeting you had scheduled in SYR is now impractical?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by alien
Did the connection period get shortened such that the meeting you had scheduled in SYR is now impractical?
No...there's no way for me to actually spin this as becoming a trip-in-vain or anything like that. It's purely a question of whether the original post's policy is a formal and well-known rule amongst phone agents or if it's a case-by-case "spirit of the rule" thing.

Throughout the years I've generally felt like AA has treated me fairly as a client whenever there's been a "gray area." (Irrops changes, upgrades, etc.) If this is some sort of "gray area" as well, I won't pursue it... I'd only call if it's a straightforward procedure where I can be honest about my intent.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:51 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
No...there's no way for me to actually spin this as becoming a trip-in-vain or anything like that. It's purely a question of whether the original post's policy is a formal and well-known rule amongst phone agents or if it's a case-by-case "spirit of the rule" thing.

Throughout the years I've generally felt like AA has treated me fairly as a client whenever there's been a "gray area." (Irrops changes, upgrades, etc.) If this is some sort of "gray area" as well, I won't pursue it... I'd only call if it's a straightforward procedure where I can be honest about my intent.
I think it's a "spirit"thing and not a hard-and-fast rule. I applaud you for not lying about a non-existent meeting as suggested.

I've also gotten my share of rule bending in my favor in the past, so that I also wouldn't try and scam here.

I would suggest calling and being completely honest.

I have the flight.
Plans changed and I don't need it.
I know that you have a "rule"about refunds for schedule changes.
Would that apply here since the schedule did change?

Probably say no, but one never knows.

Cheers.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 3:44 am

Programs: BA
Tiny Schedule Change: Can I create a stopover?

Hi all, and Merry Christmas!

I have an upcoming booking in F SFO-MIA-MGA//-MIA-LAS (overnight in Vegas)-LAX-SFO. There have been five minute schedule changes on LAS-LAX and LAX-SFO. As such, would I be allowed to create a three day stopover in Vegas, and then take the same LAS-LAX-SFO a few days later?

I realise this is pushing my luck, but I'm just wondering how lenient AA are when it comes to schedule changes, and specifically how far I can push my luck...

Thanks AA FT folk...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.