Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Old May 14, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
What's the flight/route? Are there other flights that kept 737s? Did this affect your ability to connect? Are there competitors you'd rather fly now?
Old May 14, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lkar
I'm able to find stuff about time changes but not metal changes. What I saw was that 90 minutes seems to be the rule of thumb. We got moved 55 mins on departure and 65 on arrival, which didn't seem like it was going to get me far.
Forget about the equipment change, it will get you nowhere, IMO. Your only argument will be on the schedule change if you're trying to get a refund.

If you want to change flights (which could still get you a different aircraft), they've been known to be very flexible about that if the new times just don't work for you.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by emma dog
What's the flight/route? Are there other flights that kept 737s? Did this affect your ability to connect? Are there competitors you'd rather fly now?
MIA-NAS. No connections. There were two 737s on the schedule at the time, but now it's all AT7s for the whole day. I'd probably switch to B6 from FLL if I could get a refund. Wife doesn't like the props.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:32 am

If you have not been in one, the AT7 has a larger cabin than most of the RJ's. Its a large Turboprop
Old May 14, 2010, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I am really, I should have such problems in life. The AT7 is a decent size prop, its not a crop duster, and its safe. And this how long is this flight anyway.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MrMan
If you have not been in one, the AT7 has a larger cabin than most of the RJ's. Its a large Turboprop
It's not my favorite plane, but still better than the old Saab turboprops that AA parked a while back.

The seats in the AT7 aren't great and the overhead space is limited. But it's only a 183-mile flight.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I am really, I should have such problems in life. The AT7 is a decent size prop, its not a crop duster, and its safe. And this how long is this flight anyway.
80 minutes. My problem is not with the plane. My problem is with Mrs. lkar. A much different species of problem.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, Hillton Gold, Marriot Silver, United 2P
That is one flight that I would love to be in an ATR. That can't be more than 30 minutes in the air.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

80 minutes. My problem is not with the plane. My problem is with Mrs. lkar. A much different species of problem.
Sadly, too many people (not just women) don't understand that a turbine is a turbine is a turbine. I've found that some people can be educated to understand that a turboprop is a jet engine with an external prop instead of the internal fan found in a turbofan engine. Basically, they're the same.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Does she know? My best bet in these situations is to be "ignorant" of these changes until the last possible moment.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
Does she know? My best bet in these situations is to be "ignorant" of these changes until the last possible moment.
Good thought. I'll give it a try. Maybe see if we can get some xanax before the trip just in case there's a freak out in the terminal.

I don't think the issue is the technology. I think the issue is the bumps, which she doesn't like and I guess her prop experiences have been more bumpy. She doesn't fly very much.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
^

The "props" people thing of really mean reciprocating engines turning propellers, but the ATRs are merely turbine engines turning a propeller. What some are really getting feelings of concern about is the smaller size, lower altitudes and greater propensity to encounter minor turbulence and minor attitude changes as a result.

I took the tack of explaining to Lady JDiver that the airstream is much like a water stream, with currents and eddies, in a three-dimensions, and the aircraft merely moves with the currents. As divers who enjoy playing with various currents, she understands this - in fact, she enjoys playing with currents and using them to eddy out to hang with the fish, etc.

Aircraft are built to high strength requirements - watching a 747 wing flex in moderate turbulence is quite impressive - but not in any way problematic: aircraft are built to tolerate considerable air movement.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Sadly, too many people (not just women) don't understand that a turbine is a turbine is a turbine. I've found that some people can be educated to understand that a turboprop is a jet engine with an external prop instead of the internal fan found in a turbofan engine. Basically, they're the same.
Old May 14, 2010, 3:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts about changes (schedule, aircraft) have been merged into one thread so members can catch up with the information about these change-related issues. /Moderator
Old May 16, 2010, 2:20 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
...and this thread is now linked from the following FAQ entry:

• How do I change or cancel my reservation?

/Moderator
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
For flight changes due to schedule changes, are we still responsible for fare difference?

Last edited by CDKing; Jun 19, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.