Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:51 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltahater
For the majority of flyers, just getting protected or accommodated is what matters. All I am trying to do is inform others that the rule and thus the option exists. Being able to cite the rule gives the pax more credibility and higher chances of success
This is where we disagree. Since the rule does not actually exist as a rule, I feel that someone invoking it as a rule could annoy whomever they are dealing with and have them not be as accommodating, especially if that person actually thinks it's a rule that they're entitled to.

AA seem to do this because it's a good practice, not because they have to. If someone thought the rule were real and told AA that they "have to" do this because of rule 240/80 or whatever other number, it could backfire. I don't think knowing the number of a travel agent suggestion (something that actually used to be a rule years ago) helps.

Others may find it valuable to have access to the terms of a nonexistent "rule" though.

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by brp
This is where we disagree. Since the rule does not actually exist as a rule, I feel that someone invoking it as a rule could annoy whomever they are dealing with and have them not be as accommodating, especially if that person actually thinks it's a rule that they're entitled to.

AA seem to do this because it's a good practice, not because they have to. If someone thought the rule were real and told AA that they "have to" do this because of rule 240/80 or whatever other number, it could backfire. I don't think knowing the number of a travel agent suggestion (something that actually used to be a rule years ago) helps.

Others may find it valuable to have access to the terms of a nonexistent "rule" though.

Cheers.
It seems semantics is the issue here. Rule 240 was abandoned 30 years ago when the CAB was dissolved. It no longer exists as a Federal regulation. True

However, AA has chosen, as a policy, to continue to offer protection to its passengers under certain conditions. These conditions are outlined here:

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml

AA has the right to modify this policy at any point in time. As long as it is published, for the whole world to see, it remains my position that a pax who has been inconvenienced by AA should know about this AA rule, cite it and apply it to correct the problem that AA created. You generally get more by being polite and not demanding, but that is not unique to schedule protection discussions.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:35 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deltahater
It seems semantics is the issue here. Rule 240 was abandoned 30 years ago when the CAB was dissolved. It no longer exists as a Federal regulation. True

However, AA has chosen, as a policy, to continue to offer protection to its passengers under certain conditions. These conditions are outlined here:

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml
OK, we're getting closer on this, and this is the last I will say about it here. Note that this is in instructions for travel agents. So, if one purchases through a travel agent, go for it. If one purchases on their own, mentioning this suggestion for travel agents is as valid as talking to AA about commissions.

But, yes, polite and requesting, rather than demanding, will always work best.

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:30 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
CLE/JFK "Schedule Change"

I got an e-mail about a booked CLE-JFK-CLE itin and it said the schedule has changed. However, the flight timings haven't changed at all, only the flight numbers. Used to be 4450/4451, now 3832/3833.

Any chance I could get a free change?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
I got an e-mail about a booked CLE-JFK-CLE itin and it said the schedule has changed. However, the flight timings haven't changed at all, only the flight numbers. Used to be 4450/4451, now 3832/3833.

Any chance I could get a free change?
No.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
BA Schedule Change on AA-BA Itinerary, Free Change?

I know in the past AA has always put me on another flight if I call and ask after they've made a schedule change. However, I've never had an instance where it was another carrier making the schedule change. I'm flying home for Thanksgiving from Edinburgh and am currently scheduled coming back on the 29th to fly LAX-ORD-LHR-EDI with the last leg on BA. I just looked at the itinerary and have been put on a BA flight getting me into Edinburgh two hours later than the original ticket I booked which means I'd be missing my only lecture at uni for that day. So if I'm gonna miss that lecture anyway I'd like to spend Sunday back home instead of flying and just get a return flight back to the UK on Monday and get into Edinburgh early Tuesday. Will AA allow me to make this change for free seeing as there was a schedule change?

I'd normally just pick up the phone and call AA but I don't have a landline and don't want to waste my minutes. Thanks for any help!
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

A couple of months ago I was notified by AA of a similar schedule change to a BA flight (LHR-EDI too, as it happens). The change placed the connection inside the min connection time for LHR. Ticket was an Advantage award; I was rebooked on an alternative flight of my choosing; change was completed without fee; process was effortless and quick.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nick90274
I know in the past AA has always put me on another flight if I call and ask after they've made a schedule change. However, I've never had an instance where it was another carrier making the schedule change. I'm flying home for Thanksgiving from Edinburgh and am currently scheduled coming back on the 29th to fly LAX-ORD-LHR-EDI with the last leg on BA. I just looked at the itinerary and have been put on a BA flight getting me into Edinburgh two hours later than the original ticket I booked which means I'd be missing my only lecture at uni for that day. So if I'm gonna miss that lecture anyway I'd like to spend Sunday back home instead of flying and just get a return flight back to the UK on Monday and get into Edinburgh early Tuesday. Will AA allow me to make this change for free seeing as there was a schedule change?

I'd normally just pick up the phone and call AA but I don't have a landline and don't want to waste my minutes. Thanks for any help!

If booked/ticketed by AA they will change to what u want for no fee.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
Ticket was an Advantage award; I was rebooked on an alternative flight of my choosing; change was completed without fee; process was effortless and quick.
Originally Posted by zman
If booked/ticketed by AA they will change to what u want for no fee.
I'm wondering about being able to change to a different day, though. That's OK with awards, as that's allowed anyway. But a paid ticket changing to a different day due to a schedule adjustment? Not sure.

Cheers.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don't pay to call 800# on Skype--and Skype is free.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just called AA's US Platinum line on skype (thanks hillrider) and had a very nice woman help me out. I was put on the same flights the next day free of charge and she made sure the eVIP I was going to use is used to waitlist me for the new flights. All in all, very happy, get to spend an extra day at home and miss the chaos that is flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 6:29 pm

Smile

Just called AA's US Platinum line on skype (thanks hillrider) and had a very nice woman help me out. I was put on the same flights the next day free of charge and she made sure the eVIP I was going to use is used to waitlist me for the new flights. All in all, very happy, get to spend an extra day at home and miss the chaos that is flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
G R E A T
I have found AA the most accomidating when a flight cancels or major time changes even on non AA flight connections.

A lot of complaints get posted here, so it is good to here some AA++++++.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:23 am

down gauge - 767 to 757 - any recourse?

I booked a MIA-SFO flight on a 767---and at that time there were 2 flights a day with the 767.
The afternoon flight was more money--but I liked it better and so I booked it.

Now I see they changed the afternoon flight to a 757 while keeping the morning flight as a 767.

I called the EXP line--to change to the am flight I have to pay the fee change and the change in fare--for a flight that was less costly to begin with--only because AA changed the equipment.
According to the rules--change of equipment does not qualify for a change in flights.

I understand when I want to change flights that they charge me--but what if they changed it to a prop plane with 5 stops--when is this nonsense going to stop?
Old May 13, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I think you're pretty much out of luck... maybe MAH456 will have some insight into whether the aircraft might change back. They usually run at least one 763 on this route but looks like in August they switch to all 757 service. Tempted to rant, but no point, let's just say it's disappointing.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by vail
I called the EXP line--to change to the am flight I have to pay the fee change and the change in fare--for a flight that was less costly to begin with--only because AA changed the equipment.
According to the rules--change of equipment does not qualify for a change in flights.
Sounds like you booked a restricted, non-refundable ticket, and such are the perils.

I'd be disappointed with the equipment change, but wouldn't have expected a free change based on that. You do have the option of standing by for the earlier flight (free since you have status) or SDC for $50, if available.

Last edited by videomaker; May 13, 2010 at 11:23 am Reason: Clarifying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.