Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Old Aug 2, 10, 12:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, SPG Plat
One alternate option is to explore alternate entries into/out of Italy (MXP,VCE,PSA) and alternative routings say on BA via LHR or MA via BUD. In this case, I would say AA would waive the $150 change fee for changing carriers and/or origin/destinations.

Date time changes are always free as long as you don't change stopover points and carriers on awards.

You may want to try registering for a BA Executive Club account to search BA's availability. I haven't looked at the QF site recently, but I remember a while ago they were having problems with partner availability. Maybe that has since been resolved and can also be used to help search.

At any rate, if you can't find any other options that suit you, your only recourse at this point is to redeposit or go with their recommendation.

Also, as mentioned, focus on the partner space first. If you can find partner space to hook up with an AA flight that meets your needs, regardless of AA award inventory, then request that. AA is far more flexible for opening up seats in schedule change situations on their own flights.

Finally, don't be afraid to be creative. Look at options via MAN/HEL/LHR/BUD/MAD.

Last edited by RChavez; Aug 2, 10 at 12:28 pm
Old Aug 2, 10, 4:44 pm

Is OP entitled to (the option of) a legal itinerary?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds to me like OP is now holding an award flight with an illegal connection. This obviously wouldn't have been bookable and is the result of a schedule change. Would I be entirely naive in thinking that AA has an obligation to offer *some* legal connection as an alternative? Of course, it might not be to OP's liking, but I'd have guessed that at least some legal alternative should be proffered.

Alternatively, what if OP flies the itinerary as now booked? Do the carriers involved have an obligation to get OP to the destination if s/he misses the (illegal) connection? Again, this might not work out the way OP wants, so the question may be more hypothetical than practical.

I guess I'm just curious as to whether AA's obligation goes further than the illegally connecting itinerary and/or refund. Best of luck to the OP and others affected by these schedule changes....
Old Aug 2, 10, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by brie View Post
Alternatively, what if OP flies the itinerary as now booked?
That's a good question--what if moyrani flew the new route and misconnected. Seems (s)he would have to be reaccommodated since the airline made the schedule change.
Old Aug 2, 10, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by pags05 View Post
I have a flight IAD-DFW scheduled in a few months that was supposed to leave at around 9:30am. AA just changed the schedule so this flight now leaves at 6:20a.m. - a 3 hour time change!

We can't take a later flight because of a connection, but given the significant schedule change, do I have any kind of recourse (either as a regular passenger or as an Explat) to request AA move me to an 8:30a.m. flight out of DCA instead? (Without paying change fees as it's a discount fare)?

Thanks for the thoughts!
I had AA change an itinerary today-the last flight was cancelled, forcing me to take one about 90 minutes later. This would have knocked me out of taking public transportation to get home. They willingly changed my itinerary to leave from a different airport to accommodate my request.

Classy company, which I'll reward with future business.
Old Aug 3, 10, 12:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1MM+, Marriot Platinum, Avis First
Thanks to all for your suggestions.
I am happy to report that AA contacted me today to tell me that Iberia has approved my request to take the FCO->MAD->SJU flights on Saturday (2 hrs layover). There wasn't any open award inventory but they granted the requested seats in Business class due to the schedule change that made my connection illegal.
My expectations were low based on the comments here and I had started to look into other options, but I am glad that it worked out for me and they got back to me so quickly.
I guess that, like everthing in life, 'your experience may vary'.
Old Aug 3, 10, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Glad your issue worked out with positive results.

I once had a schedule change which would have resulted in a 0 minute connection time in LAX. I only discovered it because I was checking our departure time. The computer apparently didn't care that it would be physically impossible (unless I could find a way to time travel) to make the connection. AA agent was very helpful, even though part of the flight was on Hawaiian (this is back when you could get Hawaiian Airlines awards with AA miles).
Old Aug 3, 10, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by moyrani View Post
I am happy to report that AA contacted me today to tell me that Iberia has approved my request to take the FCO->MAD->SJU flights on Saturday (2 hrs layover). There wasn't any open award inventory but they granted the requested seats in Business class due to the schedule change that made my connection illegal.
Makes sense. Glad it all worked out.
Old Aug 4, 10, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by RachelG View Post
AA agent was very helpful, even though part of the flight was on Hawaiian (this is back when you could get Hawaiian Airlines awards with AA miles).
you can get Hawaiian Air award travel now. to/from/within Hawaii, anyway.
Old Aug 4, 10, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Glad it worked out for you.

That is why I tend to make international connections at least several hours apart, both to give some leeway in late arrivals and as a buffer in case of schedule change (especially if you book long in advance when chance of schedule change is greater).

Much easier to spend the time reading the newspaper and enjoying the comfort of the upper class lounge(s) than having headaches after a schedule change and/or especially during your travel (when your options are more more restrictive).

Steve32

PS--download the oneworld pdf file for flight schedules about every 3 months (each season), and keep on your computer. When planning, go back and see if there are regular changes to flight schedules corresponding to the seasons, that may be too far in advance for the airlines "current" flight schedule to show.
Old Aug 5, 10, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Plantsville, CT USA; via West Hartford, CT; Stamford, CT; South Bend, IN; London, U.K. and Westchester County, NY
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Starwood Lifetime PLT
I had AA change a CDG-ORD-BDL into a CDG-ORD-BOS routing, due to a 70 minute change in the departure time of the ORD-BDL flight (made it later). Added benefit is that I get to extend the VIP to to domestic leg (went from an ERJ to a 738).

Interestingly, my C Class fare bucket for the CDG-ORD flight turned into R Class when the ticket was reissued.
Old Aug 23, 10, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond, United 1k, Alaska MVP Gold
Refund/Change Flight for Free based on a Schedule change

I have a ticket booked on AA from JFK-RDU to start a MR on AA from RDU.

They changed the flight time for the JFK-RDU flight by 5 MINUTES. That is instead of 8:15AM it is not 8:20AM. I start my MR from RDU at 11:25AM, giving me only 1hr 25mins for any mishaps.

I was wondering would this be enough of a reason to ask them to put me on an earlier flight from LGA, less hassle to get to LGA plus an earlier flight?
Old Aug 23, 10, 11:03 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
No, it's not really enough of a reason, but it won' hurt to ask-you might get lucky.

[unnecessary for merged threads -- thanks for alert]

Cheers.

Last edited by magic111; Aug 24, 10 at 11:14 am Reason: unnecessary for merge
Old Aug 24, 10, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond, United 1k, Alaska MVP Gold
[unnecessary for merged threads]

Thanks

Last edited by magic111; Aug 24, 10 at 11:15 am Reason: unnecessary for merge
Old Sep 17, 10, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA gold - AZ freccia alata - FB gold - SPG platinum - HH gold - AMEX various
40 minute change on LAS -> LAX flight

Bought a fight in "P" class / instant upgrade and was forced to change my departure date and paid 150$

Problem?

My new flight time has now changed from 0940 departure to 0900 departure

Will AA change flight without any hassle?

Many thanks!!
Old Sep 19, 10, 9:08 am

Programs: BA gold - AZ freccia alata - FB gold - SPG platinum - HH gold - AMEX various
I'll answer my Q on the 40 minute change and the answer is no problem

Put on an afternoon flight

Excellent work AA

Don't fly much on AA at the moment due to lack of miles of transatlantic miles / rules

If / when that changes AA will get more of my business

Search this Thread