Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CDKing
For schedule changes, are we still responsible for fare difference?
If AA changes the schedule and lets you switch to a different flight, no.

If you want to change flights without an AA schedule change, yes, plus likely a change fee depending on the type of ticket.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:59 am

Significant schedule change - right to request new route?

I have a flight IAD-DFW scheduled in a few months that was supposed to leave at around 9:30am. AA just changed the schedule so this flight now leaves at 6:20a.m. - a 3 hour time change!

We can't take a later flight because of a connection, but given the significant schedule change, do I have any kind of recourse (either as a regular passenger or as an Explat) to request AA move me to an 8:30a.m. flight out of DCA instead? (Without paying change fees as it's a discount fare)?

Thanks for the thoughts!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Usually AA is very accommodating w/re-routing as a result of schedule changes. I've had them reroute me from SFO to SJC after a a similar schedule change.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jun 27, 2010 at 10:26 am
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I'd be surprised if they did not accommodate your request.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Do we also have the right to request a full refund if we want?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by pags05
I have a flight IAD-DFW scheduled in a few months that was supposed to leave at around 9:30am. AA just changed the schedule so this flight now leaves at 6:20a.m. - a 3 hour time change!

We can't take a later flight because of a connection, but given the significant schedule change, do I have any kind of recourse (either as a regular passenger or as an Explat) to request AA move me to an 8:30a.m. flight out of DCA instead? (Without paying change fees as it's a discount fare)?

Thanks for the thoughts!
Originally Posted by Xero
Do we also have the right to request a full refund if we want?

Yes, you do Xero.

Idle curiousity: You said "we". Does that mean you are traveling with the OP?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Yes, you do Xero.

Idle curiousity: You said "we". Does that mean you are traveling with the OP?
I have the exact same route on another day.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1MM+, Marriot Platinum, Avis First
I have a situation/question that has to do with schedule changes so I will post it here.
I booked Business Award Travel last December for travel next September. When I made the reservations, there were almost 4 hours between the FCO->MAD->SJU Iberia flights. They changed the scheduled (not sure when since they did not notify me) and now the connection time is 35 minutes. Minimum connection time in MAD according to Iberia in this case is 65 minutes.
I called AA to change FCO->MAD->SJU flights from Sunday to Saturday, which still has more or less the same flight times that my Sunday flights used to have. The agent said that there was no award travel availability on Iberia on Saturday or Sunday, not even connecting through other cities. She did not even know what to tell me. In the end, she said she would submit a request to the American/Iberia liaison to see if they would approve the FCO->MAD->SJU flights on Saturday due to the schedule change.
Has anyone had a similar experience with requests submitted to a "liaison" for approval? What are the chances that they are going to approve it? Any suggestions if they don't? The agent asked me to call in 3-4 business days to check the status. I feel like it is their responsibility to find me flights even if there is no award inventory since the schedule change was rather extreme and it was obviously not my fault.

Last edited by moyrani; Aug 1, 2010 at 4:56 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by moyrani
I feel like it is their responsibility to find me flights even if there is no award inventory since the schedule change was rather extreme and it was obviously not my fault.
Have to agree with that. The other option is refunding the trip, though it doesn't look like that's what you want.

I'd call back in the 3-4 days and escalate if they don't make you happy.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Has anyone had a similar experience with requests submitted to a "liaison" for approval? What are the chances that they are going to approve it? Any suggestions if they don't? The agent asked me to call in 3-4 business days to check the status. I feel like it is their responsibility to find me flights even if there is no award inventory since the schedule change was rather extreme and it was obviously not my fault.
I agree with you, because I am in a similar situation:

Major QF Schedule Change on Award Itinerary Booked through AA. Advice?

I have gotten no love from AA or QF, though others have reported better results. The QF liaison doesn't seem to think that a 12-hour layover in SYD after a 15-hour flight from LAX is a major inconvenience, and AA can only remind me that QF award seats are tough to come by. I hope you fare better than I have.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:49 pm

I called AA to change FCO->MAD->SJU flights from Sunday to Saturday, which still has more or less the same flight times that my Sunday flights used to have. The agent said that there was no award travel availability on Iberia on Saturday or Sunday, not even connecting through other cities. She did not even know what to tell me. In the end, she said she would submit a request to the American/Iberia liaison to see if they would approve the FCO->MAD->SJU flights on Saturday due to the schedule change.
One might "feel" like AA should buy a paid space ticket on the IB flights most wanted because IB changed its schedules, but that ain't going to happen.

Schedule change rules are very clear and discussed over and over again. One is entitled to a refund, period. With AA-only travel, AA can be and is usually rather flexible on permitting alternative AA re-accommodation. Traveling on another carrier-- then AA is essentially just the travel agent and has no control over allocating space.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
I have a situation/question that has to do with schedule changes so I will post it here.
I booked Business Award Travel last December for travel next September. When I made the reservations, there were almost 4 hours between the FCO->MAD->SJU Iberia flights. They changed the scheduled (not sure when since they did not notify me) and now the connection time is 35 minutes. Minimum connection time in MAD according to Iberia in this case is 65 minutes.
I'm a bit confused here. The airlines computer systems generally will not book an illegal connection - and it appears you are saying that is what they have done? (35 min connection rebooked for you with a 65 min minimum?? Or did they rebook you on a much later flight that is not acceptable to you, and it's the flights you were on that now have the short connection?)

Originally Posted by videomaker
Have to agree with that. The other option is refunding the trip, though it doesn't look like that's what you want.

I'd call back in the 3-4 days and escalate if they don't make you happy.
Escalate to where? This scenario has happened to me and many others and has been discussed in many other posts. AA is very accommodating on AA metal - where partners are concerned - it is often take the offered rebook and keep checking back for what you want, or take a refund without the redeposit fee. Often no other option. Status often does not help a bit either.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I'm a bit confused here. The airlines computer systems generally will not book an illegal connection - and it appears you are saying that is what they have done? (35 min connection rebooked for you with a 65 min minimum?? Or did they rebook you on a much later flight that is not acceptable to you, and it's the flights you were on that now have the short connection?)
The connection time was approximately 4 hours when I booked it back in December, so it was a legal connection. They changed it to 35 minutes which is not allowed and they did not even notify me. I found out because I check my reservations often just in case.

Originally Posted by martin33
One might "feel" like AA should buy a paid space ticket on the IB flights most wanted because IB changed its schedules, but that ain't going to happen.

Schedule change rules are very clear and discussed over and over again. One is entitled to a refund, period. With AA-only travel, AA can be and is usually rather flexible on permitting alternative AA re-accommodation. Traveling on another carrier-- then AA is essentially just the travel agent and has no control over allocating space.
I figured somebody would take exception about my choice of word, although I suspect it would still happen if I'd said think, believe or even hope. lol

I did not even think about the possibility of asking them to pay for other flights and would not pretend to do so. I was looking for alternative itineraries. The agent was very nice, but she could not find any options on the two days I asked her to look. i don't have flexibility outside of those two days. I did book months in advance and was very happy with the original itinerary so I am sad and upset that I have to scramble now almost at the last minute.

Thanks to all for your feedback.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
The connection time was approximately 4 hours when I booked it back in December, so it was a legal connection. They changed it to 35 minutes which is not allowed and they did not even notify me. I found out because I check my reservations often just in case.
Sounds very similar to my situation. I was rebooked with a 5-minute connection in BNE. (Yes, five minutes.) I was not notified of the change either and found it only because I checked the reservation.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
Sounds very similar to my situation. I was rebooked with a 5-minute connection in BNE. (Yes, five minutes.) I was not notified of the change either and found it only because I checked the reservation.
Hi Flying Buccaneer - I read your thread. It sounds like you already heard from the liaison. Did they contact you directly or did you have to call back often to check on the request? How long did they take to get back to you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.