Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Old May 13, 10, 7:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Er, no, posting about it on FT is not complaining where it will potentially do you any good; on FT it is merely venting. But I do feel your pain - well, I am sorry for you, and do not ever wish to actually feel your pain. (The small but good side - they did put you up in a hotel.)

Originally Posted by krejcij View Post
Well, if you want a sob story, my wife and I were down-sized from a 67 to a 57 on a first class flight from Brazil to Miami.....the problem with that genius plan was that the 57 doesn't hold enough fuel to make that trip so we had to refuel in PR. The only problem with that plan was that we had to deplane in PR and go through customs....the only problem with that plan was that our crew went illegal. I'm sure you can see what the next problem was, there aren't an abundance of AA crew's hanging out in PR in the middle of the night. SO ... not only did we have to sit in a poor excuse of first class in a 30 year old 757 for 8 hours, we had to spend the night in a hotel and the trip ended up taking 24+ hours. Whoopsie! Probably should have complained to someone...oh wait, I am....
Old May 13, 10, 8:30 pm

Well, if you want a sob story, my wife and I were down-sized from a 67 to a 57 on a first class flight from Brazil to Miami.....the problem with that genius plan was that the 57 doesn't hold enough fuel to make that trip so we had to refuel in PR. The only problem with that plan was that we had to deplane in PR and go through customs....the only problem with that plan was that our crew went illegal. I'm sure you can see what the next problem was, there aren't an abundance of AA crew's hanging out in PR in the middle of the night. SO ... not only did we have to sit in a poor excuse of first class in a 30 year old 757 for 8 hours, we had to spend the night in a hotel and the trip ended up taking 24+ hours. Whoopsie! Probably should have complained to someone...oh wait, I am....
What date was your flight?
I am guessing you traveled from Recife or Salvador which has been scheduled for a 757 for the last several months.
It was a 767 for the first few months, but apparently demand didn't justify this and it got resceduled to a 757, which is stretching it with a full load.
By the way , AA's oldest 757 is a bit younger than 30 years old.
Old May 13, 10, 8:32 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by viking737 View Post
What date was your flight?
I am guessing you traveled from Recife or Salvador which has been scheduled for a 757 for the last several months.
It was a 767 for the first few months, but apparently demand didn't justify this and it got resceduled to a 757, which is stretching it with a full load.
By the way , AA's oldest 757 is a bit younger than 30 years old.
Oh, your letting fact get in the way of a good rant.
Old May 13, 10, 10:03 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
For anyone wanting compensation for a 767 morphing into a 757, would you consider paying AA compensation if the opposite happened and a scheduled 757 was swapped for a 767? I somehow think not.
Old May 13, 10, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I had a 763 changed to a 757 three days out, then changed to a 762 one day out. I didn't complain - just enjoyed my flight.
Old May 13, 10, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
There is no first class in a 767 to Brazil
Old May 14, 10, 1:13 am

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by vail View Post
I booked a MIA-SFO flight on a 767---and at that time there were 2 flights a day with the 767.
The afternoon flight was more money--but I liked it better and so I booked it.

Now I see they changed the afternoon flight to a 757 while keeping the morning flight as a 767.

I called the EXP line--to change to the am flight I have to pay the fee change and the change in fare--for a flight that was less costly to begin with--only because AA changed the equipment.
According to the rules--change of equipment does not qualify for a change in flights.

I understand when I want to change flights that they charge me--but what if they changed it to a prop plane with 5 stops--when is this nonsense going to stop?
I can't promise you anything because I obviously don't work for AA lol, but a few years ago, I was traveling MIA-SFO and when I booked the ticket, the aircraft was a 763, it was then changed to a 752, and then a few months before departure back to 763, which was great because I ended up being on one of the few 763s that at the time had been fitted with the new lie-flat Business Class seats.
Old May 14, 10, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
There is no first class in a 767 to Brazil
I think the poster really mean't J. I don't see that much of a difference flying in J on the 763 or the 75L from a comfort standpoint. Of course, Y is a totally different story. I am a bit confused, did the OP have a paid F ticket or upgraded as an complimentary EXP or SWU.
Old May 14, 10, 5:18 am

I never said anything about compensation--as a matter of fact my title was changed.
The one difference with this situation--my flight is in June--I had just booked it when I noticed the change a few days later.
It did not happen at the airport.
Old May 14, 10, 6:13 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Vail, don't worry about the compensation issue or whatever negative comments you might perceive. The reality is many of us have had this experience more than once and it's just an unfortunate fact of life.
Old May 14, 10, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I beg to agree and to disagree, fellow and respected FT member - the C of C in this instance both exonerates AA for the enumerated acts and protects them from a passenger suing to recover "special, incidental or consequential damages".
Well, I'm going to have to raise you a disagreement. The cited passage also disclaims responsibility for schedule changes. We all know that if the flight schedule changes in advance, AA will let you change or cancel with no penalty. Hence you cannot make the connection between what is contained in that paragraph and AA's policy regarding refunds or change fee waivers on nonrefundable tickets. (I'm not talking about "compensation" here, and never was).
SAs you know, AA has Rule 240/80 in place that explicitly allows refunds and penalty free changes to nonrefundable fares in case of a schedule change or cancellation (but not equipment changes). But this is a tarrif rule and I don't think part of the CoC.

Last edited by ijgordon; May 14, 10 at 8:24 am
Old May 14, 10, 10:55 am

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Schedule Change to AT7 grounds for refund

Non-refundable fare. Got an e-mail that moved my flight about an hour and from a jet to a turboprop. Is this a basis for a no-fee cancelation?

Just would like to know others' experiences or the rules before I make the call. Thanks.
Old May 14, 10, 11:03 am

Programs: AA 1.1 MM/LT Gold
Originally Posted by lkar View Post
Non-refundable fare. Got an e-mail that moved my flight about an hour and from a jet to a turboprop. Is this a basis for a no-fee cancelation?

Just would like to know others' experiences or the rules before I make the call. Thanks.
If you pursue trying to get a refund, I recommend that you stick to the time change as a reason. Equipment swap won't bolster your argument (search this forum... there's a very recent thread from someone about a downgrade from 767 to 757).
Old May 14, 10, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lkar View Post
You should check this thread for some background (search reveals much information in this forum on how AA handles schedule changes).

Flight schedule adjusted, after ticket issued....can i change ?
Old May 14, 10, 11:18 am

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
My search skills aren't that great. I'm able to find stuff about time changes but not metal changes. What I saw was that 90 minutes seems to be the rule of thumb. We got moved 55 mins on departure and 65 on arrival, which didn't seem like it was going to get me far.

I was thinking about focusing on the equipment change, but it sounds like that's a no go too. Although I guess I'd argue that a change from a 767 to a 757 is pretty materially different from a change from a 737 to a non-jet. I'd guess they are pretty used to people who don't like to fly the turbo-props. I'm just wondering if anyone has any relevant experience.

Search this Thread