Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

 

Old May 13, 10, 11:10 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted by Billy910 View Post
American planes listed in order of convenience: 777-767-757 .
Convenience?

An RJ could be more "convenient" than a 777, if it flies where you need to go and the 777 doesn't.
videomaker is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 11:35 am
  #47  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,057
It seems to me that AA allowing every elite, or even EXP, change their flights everytime there was an equipment change would be a bit too much. And there is no guarantee that when you get to the airport your 763 won't be swapped for a 757.
newyorkgeorge is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 11:54 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 4,179
This happened to me yesterday (5/11) on a DCA-JFK-SFO, where the JFK-SFO had a 757L substituted in place of a fairly full 767-300. So, one call to EXP and no luck in getting anything that was UPG confirmable much less possible. Went to DCA and the GA offered me DCA-BOS-SFO, still a 757 (older version) but confirmed in FC. OK it's just better "coach" seating and a meal.

I probably missed out on a good bump op, as the seating map (the day before,) showed the 763 almost full especially in FC (with some FC seats showing available,) but was more interested in getting back to SF, than playing, especially on a full 757 in coach. And when rebooked, showed as "A" class on the BOS-SFO, which somehow got me into the BOS AC for free. Posted as Y class with only some additional EQP bonus, no EQM bonus.

I did notice that BOS-CDG was cancelled and it seems the volcano is stranding some 767's in Europe, which might explain the equipment downgrades.
rbAA is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 1:46 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: AA EXP - 2MM +, CO, US, UA,SPG, Hertz Presidents Club
Posts: 233
I would keep calling the exp desk and nicely plead your case. If you purchased a tkt up front, or used miles/evip to upgrade at the time of making your reservation, an argument can be made that you purchased a specific product that they've marketed. Ask them to reaccommodate you. While they don't have to, you might just find the right aagent.
LAXNYER is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 1:51 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC, originally UK
Programs: AA PLT, IHG PLT
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
This happened to me yesterday (5/11) on a DCA-JFK-SFO, where the JFK-SFO had a 757L substituted in place of a fairly full 767-300. So, one call to EXP and no luck in getting anything that was UPG confirmable much less possible. Went to DCA and the GA offered me DCA-BOS-SFO, still a 757 (older version) but confirmed in FC. OK it's just better "coach" seating and a meal.

I probably missed out on a good bump op, as the seating map (the day before,) showed the 763 almost full especially in FC (with some FC seats showing available,) but was more interested in getting back to SF, than playing, especially on a full 757 in coach. And when rebooked, showed as "A" class on the BOS-SFO, which somehow got me into the BOS AC for free. Posted as Y class with only some additional EQP bonus, no EQM bonus.

I did notice that BOS-CDG was cancelled and it seems the volcano is stranding some 767's in Europe, which might explain the equipment downgrades.
The daily 54/55 ORD-MAN-ORD has been running as a 763 instead of 75L for the past six days at least (ash problems). I don't believe it's the only one either. I was wondering where they were getting the 763 from but a few of these posts probably answer that question.

I just wish they would keep 54/55 as a 763, then I might start flying it again.
androobe is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 2:00 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted by LAXNYER View Post
If you purchased a tkt up front, or used miles/evip to upgrade at the time of making your reservation, an argument can be made that you purchased a specific product that they've marketed. (emphasis added) Ask them to reaccommodate you. While they don't have to, you might just find the right aagent.
That argument won't work. See AA's conditions of carriage. They never guarantee an aircraft type and substitutions and changes do happen on occasion.

But you are correct when you finally conclude "they don't have to." Add to that, they're not likely to, IMO. If I was in that situation, I wouldn't keep calling for something like that. Remember, the OP's routing and schedule hasn't changed, so why should they allow a free change on a ticket when it's not allowed by the fare rules?
videomaker is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 3:06 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 935
You could always tell them that you have a medically-documented fear of confined spaces and can't fly on a narrowbody See how that works!
tylerdurden4543 is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 3:47 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 492
Considering the debacle that persisted for years with the 777 first-class suites and coffins, with last-minute swaps, I wouldn't expect much from AA on this. If they didn't care that people who paid $10K + for a first-class seat got switched to coffin-style seating I can't imagine they're going to buy the 757/767 argument. Although I agree that switch sucks.
Night Flyer is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 3:58 pm
  #54  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: STL
Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 12,954
Originally Posted by LAXNYER View Post
I would keep calling the exp desk and nicely plead your case. If you purchased a tkt up front, or used miles/evip to upgrade at the time of making your reservation, an argument can be made that you purchased a specific product that they've marketed. Ask them to reaccommodate you. While they don't have to, you might just find the right aagent.
How many times would you do this?
gemac is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 4:26 pm
  #55  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 58,155
Well, I've tried telling them I have a medically documented fear of coach; the Geneva Accords actually forbid stress positions, and the 31" pitch and limited recline are likely causes of muscle spasms and DVT. All I can say is AA obviously have no clue why I fly.

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543 View Post
You could always tell them that you have a medically-documented fear of confined spaces and can't fly on a narrowbody See how that works!
JDiver is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 5:06 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM, BAEC, UA MP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Posts: 2,667
Aren't there a lot of equipment changes happening now due to the ash cloud mess? AA, and other carriers too, have to switch to longer range a/c on days that the ash cloud forces much longer routing. I'm sure the effects of the a/c and crew changes ripple all across the AA network.
billgrates3 is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 5:34 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Posts: 2,780
By the OPs logic, AA is due recourse from me when they changed from a 757 to a 763 twice - once on an LAX-BOS which got me row 17 and HNL-SFO which got me into F when the 757 was full up front.

As for recent volcanic ash related equipment swaps, I noticed yesterday that the JFK-BRU flight was switched to a 763.
RxCapt is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 5:37 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted by RxCapt View Post
By the OPs logic, AA is due recourse from me when they changed from a 757 to a 763 twice - once on an LAX-BOS which got me row 17 and HNL-SFO which got me into F when the 757 was full up front.
Please send your check to the attention of Gerard Arpey.
videomaker is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 5:54 pm
  #59  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,156
Originally Posted by vail View Post
when is this nonsense going to stop?
Which nonsense?
dayone is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 7:28 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ORD
Posts: 29
Well, if you want a sob story, my wife and I were down-sized from a 67 to a 57 on a first class flight from Brazil to Miami.....the problem with that genius plan was that the 57 doesn't hold enough fuel to make that trip so we had to refuel in PR. The only problem with that plan was that we had to deplane in PR and go through customs....the only problem with that plan was that our crew went illegal. I'm sure you can see what the next problem was, there aren't an abundance of AA crew's hanging out in PR in the middle of the night. SO ... not only did we have to sit in a poor excuse of first class in a 30 year old 757 for 8 hours, we had to spend the night in a hotel and the trip ended up taking 24+ hours. Whoopsie! Probably should have complained to someone...oh wait, I am....
krejcij is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread