FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1720094-archive-aa-schedule-changes-free-flight-change-cancelation-refund.html)

SFO777 May 13, 2010 7:33 am

Originally Posted by vail (Post 13949924)
I booked a MIA-SFO flight on a 767---and at that time there were 2 flights a day with the 767. The afternoon flight was more money--but I liked it better and so I booked it. Now I see they changed the afternoon flight to a 757 while keeping the morning flight as a 767.

I called the EXP line--to change to the am flight I have to pay the fee change and the change in fare--for a flight that was less costly to begin with--only because AA changed the equipment. According to the rules--change of equipment does not qualify for a change in flights.

The afternoon flight that you chose is still an afternoon flight, operating nonstop, departing and arriving at the same time. Why would you expect to be able to change flights without a fee on a cheap non-refundable ticket?

vail May 13, 2010 7:40 am

Fare was $500--certainly not cheap when compared to other airlines servicing this route?

videomaker May 13, 2010 7:44 am

Originally Posted by vail (Post 13950000)
Fare was $500--certainly not cheap when compared to other airlines servicing this route?

Cheap compared to a more-flexible ticket on AA, I'm pretty sure.

SFO777 May 13, 2010 7:50 am

Originally Posted by vail (Post 13950000)

Presumably you were willing to pay more (than on other airlines) for the convenience of an afternoon nonstop, which you still have.

vail May 13, 2010 7:54 am

Yes, I wanted the afternoon flight--on the 767--not on the 757.
I am not interested in spending 6 hours plus on a 757--I would even rather fly the 777 to LAX and change aircraft, if they did not have the am 767.
Also much better chance of upgrade on the larger aircraft than the 757.

jbcarioca May 13, 2010 7:58 am

I've been on the losing side of that a few times: A380 to 744; 767 to 757; 777 to 767. There is never anything to be done about it. The ones I dislike the most are 767 to 757. You have my sympathies.

videomaker May 13, 2010 8:01 am

Originally Posted by jbcarioca (Post 13950083)
I've been on the losing side of that a few times: A380 to 744; 767 to 757; 777 to 767. There is never anything to be done about it.

As they say, OP, stuff happens.

vail May 13, 2010 8:06 am

yeah--I will pay to make the change as I do not want to be on a 757--I know it is part of the game--but please AA stop sending me all that email telling me how important a customer I am and how you value my business and than never be yielding when you have a chance to show you mean it??

brp May 13, 2010 8:07 am

Yeah, it sucks, but you have no real recourse, and shouldn't, IMO. Thems the breaks.

Had something similar recently. We were flying ORD-SFO on the 20:25 flight, 738. F was looking full so I did CFC to the 18:45 763. It had 8 open F seats, with F0 (seats held against Y oversell), pretty much a guaranteed upgrade as we were top on the list.

We get to ORD and they've swapped in a 757L as the 763 didn't make it in from Europe due to ash activity (this was this past weekend). Now they have an oversell of 5 in F. So, we sit in Y. And the flight is about half an hour late. So:

We lost exit row seats, had no chance at the upgrade. We did still get in 1:10 early.

I do feel somewhat gipped by shelling out $100 for this, but I know that the equipment is not guaranteed. Oh well.

Cheers.

JDiver May 13, 2010 8:09 am

You purchased a relatively low, restricted fare, are unhappy AA changed the aircraft on you - you are pretty much SOL. Airlines do not even guarantee you a seat - much less which aircraft you will fly on. Your fee-free options include waiting to see if there is a schedule change, so you can then call and get a change you desire.

Originally Posted by Conditions of Carriage
RESPONSIBILITY FOR SCHEDULES AND OPERATIONS
American will endeavor to carry you and your baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing.

The abbreviation for this paragraph is S-O-L, since the C of C is the one-sided contract enforced on you when you purchase a ticket.

ijgordon May 13, 2010 8:29 am

Originally Posted by vail (Post 13949924)
but what if they changed it to a prop plane with 5 stops

Then that would involve a schedule change and you'd be entitled to a free change or refund. In your real case, there is no schedule change.

when is this nonsense going to stop?
What exactly is "nonsense"? The fact that a restricted ticket is not changeable without paying the penalty? Everyone here knows that equipment changes happen and there is never any guarantee, and we just have to accept that. The airline is certainly not trying to pull one over on us by swapping a 757 for a 767, they're just trying to run their business as optimally as they can.

That said, I'd point out that the CoC excerpt posted above is really related to AA's (lack of) liability for schedule changes or delay. Meaning you can't sue them for damages if you miss an important meeting. The issue of them waiving change fees for advance schedule changes is more a customer service issue than a contract issue, and while they still fall on the stingy side of things, most of us know that, and there's certainly no reason to expect any waivers.

gamehendge2000 May 13, 2010 9:01 am

OP, just to let you know that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction....

Recently I was flying BOS->SFO on quite possibly the cheapest transcon ticket known to man, about 214 a.i. if I recall correctly. My EXP gave me a nice, free bump into F on the 757 (typical equipment for this route).

Don't know what happened, and don't care, but walked onto the plane to find myself aboard a 763 with NGBC, and a FA staff which was 2x as friendly and attentive as usual.

So, your situation's ripple effect was much appreciated by quite a few people at least.

Billy910 May 13, 2010 9:59 am

American planes listed in order of convenience: 777-767-757 . I feel your pain as well as 757s are not as comfortable as 767s.

JDiver May 13, 2010 10:24 am

Unless, the 757 is a 75L - I find those more comfortable on the average than 763 and 777, in that order.

gamehendge2000, goodonya.

Originally Posted by Billy910 (Post 13950942)
American planes listed in order of convenience: 777-767-757 . I feel your pain as well as 757s are not as comfortable as 767s.

JDiver May 13, 2010 10:26 am

I beg to agree and to disagree, fellow and respected FT member :) - the C of C in this instance both exonerates AA for the enumerated acts and protects them from a passenger suing to recover "special, incidental or consequential damages". Their legal eagles have protected them every which way to Tuesday, and the next paragraphs are even more onerous - as are the agreements governments slowed them two write themselves, like the Warsaw Convention, as amended at Hague, Montreal et al.

That's why the title is actually "RESPONSIBILITY FOR SCHEDULES AND OPERATIONS" and not something like "LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES" or the like.

The next paragraph in C of C excuses AA for practically everything else not heretofore covered: "FORCE MAJEURE EVENTS". (Includes "the devil made me do it" and "the agent was insufficiently trained" I am sure. :rolleyes:)

When they (AA, or any airline,) do cut us slack, which occasionally they do as documented in FT, we can consider they have deviated from their Draconian unilaterally imposed "contract".

Defensive flying requires passengers read the C of C, Customer Service Plan and the airline's "Rule 80 / Rule 240" at minimum.

Downgauge = little recourse, unless it comes with changes of time, destination and / or routing.

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 13950286)
<snip>

That said, I'd point out that the CoC excerpt posted above is really related to AA's (lack of) liability for schedule changes or delay. Meaning you can't sue them for damages if you miss an important meeting. The issue of them waiving change fees for advance schedule changes is more a customer service issue than a contract issue, and while they still fall on the stingy side of things, most of us know that, and there's certainly no reason to expect any waivers.