Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripy
Can anyone shed some light on when AA does the bulk of it's schedule changes? I know that changes are made all the time but, as far as I can tell, there are certain dates when AA loads up new schedules en masse.
No such thing, I'm afraid.

Large scale schedule changes are driven by business rethinking/reorganization, which can happen anytime. Given the management takeover, and integration, we're going to see a bunch such changes in the next few years. For example, we know that they've just rehubbed MIA effective 19AUG14, and are working on rehubbing ORD and DFW next.

New schedules are loaded overnight between Saturday and Sundays CT, and the schedule is pretty stable starting 120-90 days prior to the flight.

I'm afraid that anything may or may not happen between now and 120-90 days prior to the flight, at an unpredictable time, except for the fact that it will take place overnight between Saturday and Sunday CT.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by hillrider
No such thing, I'm afraid.

Large scale schedule changes are driven by business rethinking/reorganization, which can happen anytime. Given the management takeover, and integration, we're going to see a bunch such changes in the next few years. For example, we know that they've just rehubbed MIA effective 19AUG14, and are working on rehubbing ORD and DFW next.

New schedules are loaded overnight between Saturday and Sundays CT, and the schedule is pretty stable starting 120-90 days prior to the flight.

I'm afraid that anything may or may not happen between now and 120-90 days prior to the flight, at an unpredictable time, except for the fact that it will take place overnight between Saturday and Sunday CT.
Thanks very much for the info. Not exactly the news I was hoping for but better to know now . I'll have to think about what to do.....I think a layover (giving me a chance of SWU upgrade) is probably preferable to BA Y.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Schedule change during FIFA World Cup

Hi All

First post on the AA forum and I'm in a horrible position, so was hoping you'd be nice:-)

I'm off to the World Cup in Brazil in June and have AA flights (all on AA metal) from London to Brazil and back.

My schedule was: LHR-JFK-GRU on 17th June and SSA-MIA-LHR on 7th July all in Business Class.

My flight 238 back from SSA to MIA on 7th July has been the victim of a "schedule change" and now doesn't exist. The only other AA flight on the same day is 13 hours later, meaning I miss my connection on to London so have to wait for another flight much later that day, getting me back to London 24 hours later.

AA say that the only options available to me are 1) Fly on the later flight, but they have no seats available on Business/First so I'll have to fly Economy, have a 12 hour layover in Miami and then fly on to London or 2) get a full refund.

Neither of these options is filling my heart with joy, and the refund option, just 6 weeks before the World Cup doesn't feel like any option at all as the prices are much higher than when I booked 6 months ago.

I've spent 2 hours on the phone with AA but they won't give me any oneworld options because my ticket is non-changeable, even though it isn't me that wants to change it and I said I was happy to pay.

Is that really it? I keep thinking that surely they'd compromise but I'm not having any luck. They've said I can call on Monday and speak to a Manager but I'd really appreciate some advice from you all on how to approach this.

Many thanks
Cheryl
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by cheryltheperil
Hi All

First post on the AA forum and I'm in a horrible position, so was hoping you'd be nice:-)

I'm off to the World Cup in Brazil in June and have AA flights (all on AA metal) from London to Brazil and back.

My schedule was: LHR-JFK-GRU on 17th June and SSA-MIA-LHR on 7th July all in Business Class.

My flight 238 back from SSA to MIA on 7th July has been the victim of a "schedule change" and now doesn't exist. The only other AA flight on the same day is 13 hours later, meaning I miss my connection on to London so have to wait for another flight much later that day, getting me back to London 24 hours later.

AA say that the only options available to me are 1) Fly on the later flight, but they have no seats available on Business/First so I'll have to fly Economy, have a 12 hour layover in Miami and then fly on to London or 2) get a full refund.

Neither of these options is filling my heart with joy, and the refund option, just 6 weeks before the World Cup doesn't feel like any option at all as the prices are much higher than when I booked 6 months ago.

I've spent 2 hours on the phone with AA but they won't give me any oneworld options because my ticket is non-changeable, even though it isn't me that wants to change it and I said I was happy to pay.

Is that really it? I keep thinking that surely they'd compromise but I'm not having any luck. They've said I can call on Monday and speak to a Manager but I'd really appreciate some advice from you all on how to approach this.

Many thanks
Cheryl
I'm seeing one business class seat on the 8th. Can you leave a day later? If not, I'm seeing plenty of options in J MIA-LHR on either BA or AA so that shouldn't be an issue. They should be able to refund you the difference in price for flying Y SSA-MIA, but keep you in J MIA-LHR. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about the layover, unless you wanted to fly up to JFK or ORD to waste time, but then you run into further risk of mis-connections, etc. What about buying a ticket on JJ (TAM) or a low cost carrier such as GOL and seeing if AA will allow you to leave from GRU/GIG back to either MIA/DFW/LHR or even LAX and then on to LHR.

I see no point in calling back on Monday, they should be able to handle it now. You can try to be put on a JJ flight from SSA to either GRU or GIG connecting to either another JJ/BA/IB flight back to LHR. If AA had a codeshare on these flights it likely wouldn't be a problem, but because they don't, that's where you are running into an issue.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:01 am

Thanks UMAA83.

Yes, they'll put us in J for MIA-LHR but I really don't like overnights in Economy which is what SSA-MIA is now.

You are quite correct, they won't put us on oneworld because it is not a codeshare.

I didn't really want to buy a TAM ticket on a separate PNR purely because if it all goes wrong during the World Cup then I didn't want to miss the AA connection and then be up the proverbial creek.

I'm going to look at availability a day earlier. I've also noticed I can get alternative flights for more, but not too much more, if I cancel and re-book. One question though - will AA give me a full refund for the whole ticket or are they just talking about refunding the return leg that is impacted? It's easier to rebook a whole ticket than a one way.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
They will refund the entire ticket.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:03 am

Thank you.

By the time they have refunded the whole ticket, I'll probably have spent that much on their premium rate phone line
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Thank you.

By the time they have refunded the whole ticket, I'll probably have spent that much on their premium rate phone line
If you are still booking with AA, they should be able to rebook the whole thing without processing a refund to your credit card and just charging any increase in price for our new flights. Behind the scenes they refund to a voucher and then just apply the voucher to the new ticket.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:59 pm

Thanks UMAA83.

I didn't really want to buy a TAM ticket on a separate PNR purely because if it all goes wrong during the World Cup then I didn't want to miss the AA connection and then be up the proverbial creek.

TAM will be an official One world member by then, so you should be somewhat protected in that case. Flights during the World Cup could be a zoo, but at least there is some protection in that case.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-tickets.html
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:15 pm

I had a contentious (although ultimately successful) dispute with an AA phone agent regarding a schedule change. Original itinerary from ABQ-DFW-RIC had over an hour connection time. New flight number and schedule came on June 10th, and the connection time was reduced to 40 minutes, which seemed very risky with two small children.

I wanted to move to an earlier flight from ABQ-DFW. The agent told me that I had only 24 hours after the schedule change to adjust the reservation, and asked me why it took me 10 days to call them after the notification. Keep in mind that this trip is still a couple of months in the future. She initially was willing to change my flight if I wanted to pay $200/ticket, but after I told her that I thought it would be in everyone's (including AA's) best interest to change the reservation to avoid having to rebook us in DFW in the likely event of a misconnnect. After putting me on hold for several minutes, she told me that she had confirmed us on the earlier flight.

Is there any such 24 hour policy (I know that when a ticket is purchased/held, the buyer typically has 24 hours to change their mind). Nothing about this policy was mentioned in the schedule change notification.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Although the information is for travel agents, https://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Booki...ule_240_80.jsp indicates that the policy is

Originally Posted by aa agents
NOTE: If the AA flight delay is within 30 minutes prior to or after the original departure the Travel Agents may not reaccommodate to an alternate flight time or alternate date of travel unless the schedule change results in a "misconnect".
so would seem consistent that if you wanted to change flights, the change fee should be paid if the change was < 31 minutes

If the change was 31 minutes - 90 minutes, then should be allowed to change subject to inventory availability with no change fee
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Although the information is for travel agents, https://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Booki...ule_240_80.jsp indicates that the policy is

so would seem consistent that if you wanted to change flights, the change fee should be paid if the change was < 31 minutes

If the change was 31 minutes - 90 minutes, then should be allowed to change subject to inventory availability with no change fee
The departure from ABQ was changed from 9:15 to 10:15. The arrival in RIC stayed about the same, so I guess it depends on how " delay" is defined. I requested (and finally got) a departure leaving at 8:55. I didn't see anything at the link about the passenger needing to request a change within 24 hours of being notified of the schedule change.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Hang up and call again. If there is a 24 hour rule, it's brand new and stupid.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
Hang up and call again. If there is a 24 hour rule, it's brand new and stupid.
Agent pulled the "must accept/reject schedule change within 24 hour policy" out of her *ss.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:20 pm

Just curious...

We were the victim of a schedule change but they were able to re-accommodate. I see that when they re-booked it is placed in y class (the ticket was originally a discounted class). Is this portion of the flight now up-gradable with AA miles like a standard y ticket, or is it annotated to not allow this? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.