Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
With a significant schedule change like that, it's pretty common for AA to work with the passenger to make acceptable changes.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
I have been able to get a departure from SJC changed to SFO without problem due to a cancelled flight. Just offer the new itinerary and they should be able to.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 2:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Is reaccommodation on a schedule change restricted to the same inventory?

That is what the new rules (quoted in the OP) appear to say?

* Agency may reissue if American Airlines has reaccommodated for the same dates, origination and destination cities, same inventory, fare or fare basis.

* Agency may reissue if American Airlines has reaccommodated for a different date due to the same day flights were not available for the reaccommodation, as long as the new confirmed booking is the same inventory, origination and destination cities, fare and fare basis.
I used to regard a schedule change as an opportunity to make major changes to a booking without penalty, under the old rules:

Passengers are to be protected by one of the following polices:

1. On AA flights in the same inventory/date as ticketed, if available. If same inventory is not available, AA RES will need to rebook in the lowest available inventory in the same cabin as ticketed. If a flight is not available on the same date, or is not acceptable to the customer, they may be rebooked on the previous or next day. Customers may be rebooked over a different routing (same origination and destination) as long as it is a valid routing for the fare being used.
What happens now if you booked in a low fare class that by the time of the schedule change is not available on other flights?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: Not care as much as before...
schedule change will be one of the best opportunity for you to "change schedule"
Old May 16, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2P
"Schedule change" when they didn't even change their schedule

Last Thursday, I booked a FAR-ORD-SFO routing for 6/10 on AA3999/AA1523. Monday morning, I found in my inbox an email telling me there was a schedule change and I was now on AA4080/AA1613.

When I checked the website, it looked AA3999 and AA1523 were both at their original times, so I called AA to see what was up. The agent told me the system rejected my connection time at ORD for being too short. I asked her why the system had ticketed it to begin with. She said she didn't know, but that she would be risking a fine if she circumvented the system and put me back on that itinerary, and that my best bet was to wait until early June to see if there were any schedule changes that would allow me to get back to my original flights.

So I asked if I could at least be put back on AA1523, since it might fill up before June. She informed me it was already Y0 so she couldn't put me back on it. I was fairly incredulous that I'd been booked on the flight until earlier in the day and suddenly it was now Y0, but she said the system absolutely wouldn't let her put me on it.

Realistically, what are my options at this point? Are they likely to make an exception if I ask incredibly nicely? Should I just accept the itinerary 6 hours earlier? Should I demand a refund (which I know they'd have to give me) even though I'd need to then rebook with someone else? I've never encountered this situation before.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ben78

When I checked the website, it looked AA3999 and AA1523 were both at their original times, so I called AA to see what was up. The agent told me the system rejected my connection time at ORD for being too short. I asked her why the system had ticketed it to begin with.
So,not even a 5 minute change as this can make a legal connection illegal? If really exactly the same times, it is possible that they've changed the MCT, although I don't believe this happens often.

Realistically, what are my options at this point? Are they likely to make an exception if I ask incredibly nicely? Should I just accept the itinerary 6 hours earlier? Should I demand a refund (which I know they'd have to give me) even though I'd need to then rebook with someone else? I've never encountered this situation before.
The only "official" recourse you have is the refund. I think you won't find an agent to circumvent the MCT for the reasons cited. If one of the original flights still works, I would try calling back (maybe even a couple of times) to see if you can get back on your original flight.

Cheers.
Old May 16, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by brp
So,not even a 5 minute change as this can make a legal connection illegal? If really exactly the same times, it is possible that they've changed the MCT, although I don't believe this happens often.
Nope, the flights are at the exact same time I originally booked them. I've been told by multiple agents that my original itinerary violated the MCT and the system shouldn't've let me book it.

Originally Posted by brp
The only "official" recourse you have is the refund. I think you won't find an agent to circumvent the MCT for the reasons cited. If one of the original flights still works, I would try calling back (maybe even a couple of times) to see if you can get back on your original flight.
As I say, I've tried that multiple times, and even if they disregard the MCT, multiple agents have told me 1523 is Y0 and they can't rebook me into F. I wound up just pushing the whole trip forward a week, because they're implementing a schedule change midweek and moving 3999 earlier to make the connection possible. At least they were willing to give me a completely new itinerary at no extra charge (and move my Q booking into K).
Old May 20, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
How can i tell if my flight was changed if i dont have the original e-ticketing email?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Schedule change question

I have a flight next week that has been shifted to a 45 minute later arrival time. Looks like I am out of luck, as far as getting a refund because it's not at least 60 minutes? Is that correct? Do agents ever bend the rules on things like this or is it not even worth asking?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:07 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by lovely15
I have a flight next week that has been shifted to a 45 minute later arrival time. Looks like I am out of luck, as far as getting a refund because it's not at least 60 minutes? Is that correct? Do agents ever bend the rules on things like this or is it not even worth asking?
You are correct (see the OP). If this schedule change will result in you missing an event or appointment, you can always ask, but expect to be denied. Obviously not a good idea to cut things that close, given that delays can also occur.

------------------------------------------
This thread has been merged into the existing thread on refunds and rebookings due to AA schedule changes, found using the Search terms "refund schedule change".

/Moderator
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
You are correct (see the OP). If this schedule change will result in you missing an event or appointment, you can always ask, but expect to be denied. Obviously not a good idea to cut things that close, given that delays can also occur.
Didn't cut anything close. Friend canceled her wedding, and I'm trying to find a way out of losing $594.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't cut anything close. Friend canceled her wedding, and I'm trying to find a way out of losing $594.
You'll only lose about $150 and can apply the remaining $444 to another flight. Asking us, though, isn't going to determine whether an agent might make an exception, no matter who it may have happened to. In the end, you're gonna have to call and see.

Cheers.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by brp
You'll only lose about $150 and can apply the remaining $444 to another flight.
I have to have another flight to book before my current departure time though, correct? Or do I just get a $444 credit with AA hanging out there?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Nope, the flights are at the exact same time I originally booked them. I've been told by multiple agents that my original itinerary violated the MCT and the system shouldn't've let me book it.
I know this is an old post, but there is one condition where you can book below MCT with the system not catching it - booking via multi-city. When I did this on one trip last year I didn't realize I was below MCT for an AA to AS transfer in SFO. I got a call two weeks before my flight telling me that they'd need to move me to a later flight to allow for MCT. They did it without fee, but it still was a case where the sytem let me book below MCT.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:55 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to have another flight to book before my current departure time though, correct? Or do I just get a $444 credit with AA hanging out there?
It can hang. And I think it has to be used within 1 year of the original flight date...or something like that. That's a factoid that I never remember exactly....but someone will.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.