Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

 

Old Apr 20, 09, 9:51 pm
  #16  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Posts: 32,315
Originally Posted by Deltahater View Post
For the majority of flyers, just getting protected or accommodated is what matters. All I am trying to do is inform others that the rule and thus the option exists. Being able to cite the rule gives the pax more credibility and higher chances of success
This is where we disagree. Since the rule does not actually exist as a rule, I feel that someone invoking it as a rule could annoy whomever they are dealing with and have them not be as accommodating, especially if that person actually thinks it's a rule that they're entitled to.

AA seem to do this because it's a good practice, not because they have to. If someone thought the rule were real and told AA that they "have to" do this because of rule 240/80 or whatever other number, it could backfire. I don't think knowing the number of a travel agent suggestion (something that actually used to be a rule years ago) helps.

Others may find it valuable to have access to the terms of a nonexistent "rule" though.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Apr 21, 09, 5:50 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SAT
Programs: AA PLT, BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Gold, Gold SPG, AS 75K, QR PLT
Posts: 5,738
Originally Posted by brp View Post
This is where we disagree. Since the rule does not actually exist as a rule, I feel that someone invoking it as a rule could annoy whomever they are dealing with and have them not be as accommodating, especially if that person actually thinks it's a rule that they're entitled to.

AA seem to do this because it's a good practice, not because they have to. If someone thought the rule were real and told AA that they "have to" do this because of rule 240/80 or whatever other number, it could backfire. I don't think knowing the number of a travel agent suggestion (something that actually used to be a rule years ago) helps.

Others may find it valuable to have access to the terms of a nonexistent "rule" though.

Cheers.
It seems semantics is the issue here. Rule 240 was abandoned 30 years ago when the CAB was dissolved. It no longer exists as a Federal regulation. True

However, AA has chosen, as a policy, to continue to offer protection to its passengers under certain conditions. These conditions are outlined here:

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml

AA has the right to modify this policy at any point in time. As long as it is published, for the whole world to see, it remains my position that a pax who has been inconvenienced by AA should know about this AA rule, cite it and apply it to correct the problem that AA created. You generally get more by being polite and not demanding, but that is not unique to schedule protection discussions.
Deltahater is offline  
Old Apr 21, 09, 7:35 am
  #18  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Posts: 32,315
Originally Posted by Deltahater View Post
It seems semantics is the issue here. Rule 240 was abandoned 30 years ago when the CAB was dissolved. It no longer exists as a Federal regulation. True

However, AA has chosen, as a policy, to continue to offer protection to its passengers under certain conditions. These conditions are outlined here:

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml
OK, we're getting closer on this, and this is the last I will say about it here. Note that this is in instructions for travel agents. So, if one purchases through a travel agent, go for it. If one purchases on their own, mentioning this suggestion for travel agents is as valid as talking to AA about commissions.

But, yes, polite and requesting, rather than demanding, will always work best.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Sep 9, 09, 3:30 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 1 au
Programs: AA, UA, US, SPG, OZ Infant Science Training Course, BEST Upper Deck, Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Posts: 2,707
CLE/JFK "Schedule Change"

I got an e-mail about a booked CLE-JFK-CLE itin and it said the schedule has changed. However, the flight timings haven't changed at all, only the flight numbers. Used to be 4450/4451, now 3832/3833.

Any chance I could get a free change?
Mr. Bean is offline  
Old Sep 9, 09, 6:19 am
  #20  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean View Post
I got an e-mail about a booked CLE-JFK-CLE itin and it said the schedule has changed. However, the flight timings haven't changed at all, only the flight numbers. Used to be 4450/4451, now 3832/3833.

Any chance I could get a free change?
No.
sts603 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 3:00 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LAX/LHR
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 294
BA Schedule Change on AA-BA Itinerary, Free Change?

I know in the past AA has always put me on another flight if I call and ask after they've made a schedule change. However, I've never had an instance where it was another carrier making the schedule change. I'm flying home for Thanksgiving from Edinburgh and am currently scheduled coming back on the 29th to fly LAX-ORD-LHR-EDI with the last leg on BA. I just looked at the itinerary and have been put on a BA flight getting me into Edinburgh two hours later than the original ticket I booked which means I'd be missing my only lecture at uni for that day. So if I'm gonna miss that lecture anyway I'd like to spend Sunday back home instead of flying and just get a return flight back to the UK on Monday and get into Edinburgh early Tuesday. Will AA allow me to make this change for free seeing as there was a schedule change?

I'd normally just pick up the phone and call AA but I don't have a landline and don't want to waste my minutes. Thanks for any help!
Nick90274 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 3:13 pm
  #22  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 18,098
A couple of months ago I was notified by AA of a similar schedule change to a BA flight (LHR-EDI too, as it happens). The change placed the connection inside the min connection time for LHR. Ticket was an Advantage award; I was rebooked on an alternative flight of my choosing; change was completed without fee; process was effortless and quick.
Prospero is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 3:17 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,630
Originally Posted by Nick90274 View Post
I know in the past AA has always put me on another flight if I call and ask after they've made a schedule change. However, I've never had an instance where it was another carrier making the schedule change. I'm flying home for Thanksgiving from Edinburgh and am currently scheduled coming back on the 29th to fly LAX-ORD-LHR-EDI with the last leg on BA. I just looked at the itinerary and have been put on a BA flight getting me into Edinburgh two hours later than the original ticket I booked which means I'd be missing my only lecture at uni for that day. So if I'm gonna miss that lecture anyway I'd like to spend Sunday back home instead of flying and just get a return flight back to the UK on Monday and get into Edinburgh early Tuesday. Will AA allow me to make this change for free seeing as there was a schedule change?

I'd normally just pick up the phone and call AA but I don't have a landline and don't want to waste my minutes. Thanks for any help!

If booked/ticketed by AA they will change to what u want for no fee.
zman is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 3:25 pm
  #24  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Posts: 32,315
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Ticket was an Advantage award; I was rebooked on an alternative flight of my choosing; change was completed without fee; process was effortless and quick.
Originally Posted by zman View Post
If booked/ticketed by AA they will change to what u want for no fee.
I'm wondering about being able to change to a different day, though. That's OK with awards, as that's allowed anyway. But a paid ticket changing to a different day due to a schedule adjustment? Not sure.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 3:52 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 12,083
Originally Posted by Nick90274 View Post
I'd normally just pick up the phone and call AA but I don't have a landline and don't want to waste my minutes. Thanks for any help!
You don't pay to call 800# on Skype--and Skype is free.
hillrider is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 6:22 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LAX/LHR
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 294
Just called AA's US Platinum line on skype (thanks hillrider) and had a very nice woman help me out. I was put on the same flights the next day free of charge and she made sure the eVIP I was going to use is used to waitlist me for the new flights. All in all, very happy, get to spend an extra day at home and miss the chaos that is flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
Nick90274 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 6:29 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,630
Smile

Originally Posted by Nick90274 View Post
Just called AA's US Platinum line on skype (thanks hillrider) and had a very nice woman help me out. I was put on the same flights the next day free of charge and she made sure the eVIP I was going to use is used to waitlist me for the new flights. All in all, very happy, get to spend an extra day at home and miss the chaos that is flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
G R E A T
I have found AA the most accomidating when a flight cancels or major time changes even on non AA flight connections.

A lot of complaints get posted here, so it is good to here some AA++++++.
zman is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 7:23 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 526
down gauge - 767 to 757 - any recourse?

I booked a MIA-SFO flight on a 767---and at that time there were 2 flights a day with the 767.
The afternoon flight was more money--but I liked it better and so I booked it.

Now I see they changed the afternoon flight to a 757 while keeping the morning flight as a 767.

I called the EXP line--to change to the am flight I have to pay the fee change and the change in fare--for a flight that was less costly to begin with--only because AA changed the equipment.
According to the rules--change of equipment does not qualify for a change in flights.

I understand when I want to change flights that they charge me--but what if they changed it to a prop plane with 5 stops--when is this nonsense going to stop?
vail is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 7:32 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco, where else?
Programs: Former-AA-EXP for many years-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Posts: 795
I think you're pretty much out of luck... maybe MAH456 will have some insight into whether the aircraft might change back. They usually run at least one 763 on this route but looks like in August they switch to all 757 service. Tempted to rant, but no point, let's just say it's disappointing.
goldengate is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 7:33 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted by vail View Post
I called the EXP line--to change to the am flight I have to pay the fee change and the change in fare--for a flight that was less costly to begin with--only because AA changed the equipment.
According to the rules--change of equipment does not qualify for a change in flights.
Sounds like you booked a restricted, non-refundable ticket, and such are the perils.

I'd be disappointed with the equipment change, but wouldn't have expected a free change based on that. You do have the option of standing by for the earlier flight (free since you have status) or SDC for $50, if available.

Last edited by videomaker; May 13, 10 at 11:23 am Reason: Clarifying
videomaker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread