Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Old Oct 31, 11, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease View Post
Since AA initiated the change and the time is greater than 30 min AA should put you on the 9am flight if there is availability. Or they will give you a full refund of your tivkets and you can book something else.

You need to call AA.
"more than 30 minutes" ?? This info you got from where? Its incorrect
Old Oct 31, 11, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1.4MM
Since AA initiated the change and the time is greater than 30 min AA should put you on the 9am flight if there is availability. Or they will give you a full refund of your tivkets and you can book something else.

You need to call AA.
+1. I've had AA change my flights before and they've always worked with me to get flights that work with my schedule (even flying out the day before or after if no same day flights would work).
Old Oct 31, 11, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO 1.5 MM, Hilton Diamond
You should definitely call and AA ask them to change you to the flight you want. You might need to call back if you don't get the result you want the first time.
Old Oct 31, 11, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree View Post
If you're going to critique someone you could at least post what the "correct" information is. Is it 2 hours now?
Old Oct 31, 11, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
If you're going to critique someone you could at least post what the "correct" information is. Is it 2 hours now?
I was told the change needs to be 90 minutes or more. I have no source to cite at this is what an EXP desk agent told me (approx one year ago).
Old Oct 31, 11, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
As long as the 9am flight will not cause an illegal connection (i.e. it allows for the required minimum connection time) call AA and ask to be put on the 9am. They should accommodate this, for free, as long as their is availability on the flight.

(And I don't see any reason the 9am would cause an illegal connection unless they moved the Madrid flight time up by a whole lot)
Old Oct 31, 11, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond

You need to call AA.
Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree View Post
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Originally Posted by sica4 View Post
I was told the change needs to be 90 minutes or more. I have no source to cite at this is what an EXP desk agent told me (approx one year ago).
AFAIK, this is not documented (AA has not posted the rules anywhere), so posting definite, authoritative numbers like "30 minutes" or "90 minutes" is not so helpful. What I have heard is 60 minutes to make a change and 120 minutes to get a refund, but that is just as squishy as the other numbers posted here. I have never seen a number as high as 210 minutes, so I think the OP is on firm footing to ask for a change. If we quote numbers that we think are valid but don't know are valid, I think we should say that so that others are aware of what the actual situation is.
Old Oct 31, 11, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Here is the documentation on what is/isn't allowed by policy.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...p&locale=en_IN

Dan
Old Oct 31, 11, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by gemac View Post
AFAIK, this is not documented (AA has not posted the rules anywhere), so posting definite, authoritative numbers like "30 minutes" or "90 minutes" is not so helpful.
This isn't correct. You can follow the link to from AA's conditions of carriage to their International "General Rules" / tarriff, where the following is revealed:

Change in schedule means:
  • The cancellation of a scheduled flight where no AA flight of
    comparable routing is available within 60 minutes of the original time of departure;
  • A change in the scheduled departure time of an AA flight which exceeds 60 minutes;
  • A change in the routing of a scheduled AA flight which adds one or more stops to the original itinerary, or;
  • A change in the routing scheduled AA flight that results in a scheduled arrival time more than 60 minutes later than the original scheduled arrival time.
and with that in mind, we see:

Change in Schedule
When a passenger will be delayed because of a change in its schedule, carrier will arrange to:
NOTE: Change in schedule does not include force majeure events as defined in Rule 80 (C)(4)(b).
(a)transport the passenger over its own lines to the destination, next stopover point or transfer point shown on its portion of the ticket, without stopover at no additional cost to the passenger, provided that a passenger who paid an Economy Class fare will be transported on one of its First Class flights only if such flight will provide an earlier arrival than its next Economy Class flight on which space is available.
(b)endorse the unused ticket for the purpose of rerouting over another carrier; or
(c)refund in accordance with Rule 90 (REFUNDS).
NOTE: In the event that AA changes the time of departure or routing of a flight in a manner that does not constitute a schedule change as defined herein, AA will transport the passenger on the rescheduled flight at no additional cost to the passenger. If the passenger elects not to travel on the rescheduled flight, AA will refund the value of the affected coupons in the form of a nonrefundable AA travel voucher. The AA travel voucher is valid for one year from date of issue and may be used as payment for air travel related service on AA only. Vouchers will not be issued when the change in schedule involves a flight number change only.
So a 60 minute change should make the passenger eligible for either a reasonable change to the ticket or a refund.
Old Oct 31, 11, 5:29 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Originally Posted by danorum View Post
Here is the documentation on what is/isn't allowed by policy.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...p&locale=en_IN

Dan
This part is not binding (as is true of most, if not all, of the stuff in Agency) as AA re not bound by rules 80/240 (and I can never remember why this is, but it does seem to be the case).

However, the information that jordyn posted below yours does seem compelling on the topic and may be binding.

Cheers.
Old Oct 31, 11, 6:06 pm

Thanks guys. I will contact AA.
Old Nov 1, 11, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jordyn View Post
This isn't correct. You can follow the link to from AA's conditions of carriage to their International "General Rules" / tarriff, where the following is revealed:

and with that in mind, we see:

So a 60 minute change should make the passenger eligible for either a reasonable change to the ticket or a refund.
Thanks for posting this. I knew it was defined somewhere but I was unable to find it myself.
Old Nov 1, 11, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp View Post
This part is not binding (as is true of most, if not all, of the stuff in Agency) as AA re not bound by rules 80/240 (and I can never remember why this is, but it does seem to be the case).
Within the US, airlines are no longer bound by much because Congress decided so. Tariff rule 240 no longer exists because airlines no longer are required to have or file tariffs, all they need is the vague conditions of carriage.

Internationally it's different, as jordyn already pointed out: there is a filed international tariff, and it is part of the contract. It contains rule 80, and the language there is 100% enforceable by a court of law and therefore prevails whatever is in a policy.

And unless I misread something, the policy that AA published for its agent's use is in violation of the international tariff rule 80 when it specifies "If schedule change is 61-120 minutes, refund to voucher only is allowed by American Airlines" -- the tariff states a full refund to the form of payment in rule 90 (d). Any opinions from other readers?
Old Nov 26, 11, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
The AA G-ds smiled on me tonight.

A very, very, very nice CS rep waived the $150 change fee because I booked the wrong date (by 1 day) and she started laughing when I told her my mother would kill me for doing so.

Luckily, the schedule had changed (although it was for the return portion a week later and only changed by 3 hours) and I think maybe she worked that into being able to waive it somehow.

KUDOS TO AA!
Old Nov 27, 11, 10:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by ssafro1 View Post
The AA G-ds smiled on me tonight.

A very, very, very nice CS rep waived the $150 change fee because I booked the wrong date (by 1 day) and she started laughing when I told her my mother would kill me for doing so.

Luckily, the schedule had changed (although it was for the return portion a week later and only changed by 3 hours) and I think maybe she worked that into being able to waive it somehow.

KUDOS TO AA!
Refunds are allowed for any changes over 2 hours.

Search this Thread