Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by daapower
just checked again. JAL has 1 direct that would get me in at 4:55PM. I have a 6:00PM connection to BKK. I'm not sure if that is enough time
The NRT-BKK flight departs at 6:05 PM, and 1:10 is enough time to do the connection in NRT to BKK (JL sells this connection themselves).

If you already had your upgrades confirmed in business, try to ask the agent if they can rebook into business for you. Probably not going to happen for you, but I have heard of accommodating passenger upgrades on alliance partners (usually for same day cancellation though, not weeks in advance).
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, SPG
I guess as expected AA response was that they would book me in JAL but in economy regardless of if I cleared bus with my SWU on the AA flight. Or they can route however i want on AA metal. Or they can refund my money.

No mileage or monetary reimbursement for the trouble. Their response was schedule changes occur all the time
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:04 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I guess as expected AA response was that they would book me in JAL but in economy regardless of if I cleared bus with my SWU on the AA flight. Or they can route however i want on AA metal. Or they can refund my money.

No mileage or monetary reimbursement for the trouble. Their response was schedule changes occur all the time
Those are the standard options that have come up every one of the many other time this same question has been brought up here. They will never, ever, give compensation in these cases. But they will be very flexible with rerouting.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:10 pm

Explat desk said that I have flown long enough to know that schedule changes are normal.

I guess i have been lucky that I haven't experienced this till now
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Explat desk said that I have flown long enough to know that schedule changes are normal.

I guess i have been lucky that I haven't experienced this till now
Personally I don't think this is the good response. If airliners believe schedule change are normal and they have no liability, they should also give all flyers free change of the ticket without reason.
Maybe not just AA, but if airliners screw up, flyers suck. If flyers screw up, flyers suck.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:31 pm

daapower, another option to (possibly) preserve your upgrade and keep your flying schedule not too early would be to route through PVG.

You can do LAX-PVG on AA, and then PVG-HKG-BKK on CX (overnight stay required in PVG, since the LAX-PVG flight gets in after 7 PM). If you do choose this option, ask them to book you into business class right away (if your previous flight was already confirmed), without being put on the waitlist.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by yuchung5
Personally I don't think this is the good response. If airliners believe schedule change are normal and they have no liability, they should also give all flyers free change of the ticket without reason.
Maybe not just AA, but if airliners screw up, flyers suck. If flyers screw up, flyers suck.
Unfortunately airlines can get away with it since there really is no alternative. We need to take a page from their book and create a Frequent Flyer Union.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
daapower, another option to (possibly) preserve your upgrade and keep your flying schedule not too early would be to route through PVG.

You can do LAX-PVG on AA, and then PVG-HKG-BKK on CX (overnight stay required in PVG, since the LAX-PVG flight gets in after 7 PM). If you do choose this option, ask them to book you into business class right away (if your previous flight was already confirmed), without being put on the waitlist.
I think overnight stay in PVG would require a visa plus the overnight would kill it. I'm leaning towards just taking JAL in coach. Beats taking AA in coach anyhow.

Thanks for looking into the alternate
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Unfortunately airlines can get away with it since there really is no alternative. We need to take a page from their book and create a Frequent Flyer Union.
I once decreed that airlines can set whatever change fees they want, but if the airline changes a flight, :-: the airline has to pay the passenger the change fee. :-:

And then I woke up from my dream.

I think overnight stay in PVG would require a visa plus the overnight would kill it.
I'm no expert on this, but check out the PRC Visa-Free Transit FAQ just in case.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I think overnight stay in PVG would require a visa plus the overnight would kill it. ...
No, if your transit is less than 48 hours you can transit without visa: (http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...pvg-32767.html)
Originally Posted by mww99
Due to an AA schedule change, transit time in PVG has increased from 5 to 27 hrs. Can anyone confirm that this information (from TravelChinaGuide.com) is correct?

2. Citizens of these countries can make an air transit in Shanghai Pudong and Hongqiao Airports without a transit visa if your period of stay does not exceed 48 hours, showing valid passport, visa of your destination country and connecting flight ticket. You are allowed to get out of the airport.
These countries are: Korea, America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, French, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spanish, Italy, Austria, Greece, Sweden, Danmark, Norway, Fenland and Iceland.

Also, here on FT:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...l#post16200886
Originally Posted by mnredfox

Transit Without Visa (TWOV)
This applies only to Chinese airports, not land borders or seaports. The biggest issue is not going to be the Chinese, it is convincing your originating airline that TWOV is legal. It is in the TIMATIC database should your airline want to look it up. In general, the Chinese airlines are up to speed on TWOV; other foreign carriers, just depends on the savviness of the check-in agent. Key features of TWOV:
• You must be in international transit A-B-C with B as the China airport and A and C two DIFFERENT international origin/destinations. A-B-A is a no-no. A1-B-A2 (the A’s different cities but in the same country) should also be considered as ineligible.
• There are some routings that are A-B-C-D with B, C being two different Chinese transit airports and B-C technically a domestic segment. It is actually legal to do this but may present some head scratching, especially if there is a change of airline in the middle somewhere.
• Nearly all nationalities are allowed up to 24 hours to accomplish an international transit without a Chinese visa, as measured by your scheduled arrival time in China to scheduled departure time heading out of China.
• Certain nationalities only are allowed up to 48 hours and only at Shanghai Pudong (PVG) and Hongqiao (SHA) airports. Currently the extra allowance is good for citizens of: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, USA. The UK and Ireland are not on the 48-hour list, stick with 24 hours. ETA September 2011: Passport holders of Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Switzerland have apparently been added to this list of foreigners permitted 48 hours' transit at PVG/SHA. Please check with the nearest Chinese Embassy to confirm.
• Guangzhou (CAN): As of summer 2011, there have been a few anecdotal reports that this particular airport may be experimenting with a new policy for intl-to-intl transits that will send the passenger back to airside, and not permit leaving the airport unless the passenger has a Chinese visa. Until more and consistent information is available, please be aware of this possibility if you are scheduled with an international transit at this airport.

Procedure:
• At present, you are required to go through Chinese immigration when arriving. Assume there is no option to get off the arriving flight and “stay airside.” At immigration, look for desks signed “international transit” which may be separately located or at one end of a bank of counters. If there is nothing specially signed, use any desk for foreigners.
• Have your confirmed (e-)ticket and onward itinerary available for inspection along with your passport, boarding pass if you already have. Your Arrival Card handed out to you on the arrival flight should be marked “transit” as your visit purpose. There should be no problems, and you will receive a hexagon-shaped stamp in your passport for TWOV (this is not a regular entry stamp for those with visas and it is not a transit visa).
• After you leave the counter, you may return back through exit immigration, security then airside for your onward flight. Your airline should already have told you at origin whether you need to pick up baggage and then recheck (different Chinese airports have different policies on international transit bags, it’s not solely under airline control). With a long layover or an overnight, you may wish to leave the airport and go to a hotel, or into town for sightseeing. Leaving the airport is explicitly allowed in the Chinese regulation, regardless of the incorrect interpretations that you might see in other posts or forums.
• Make sure you leave enough time to get to your outbound boarding gate: including check-in (if needed), exit immigration (you’ll be stamped out), and security.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
OP did you get this fixed?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:22 pm

I opted to take a jal flight. Apparently im in their premium economy so more leg room. Better than the addl travel time
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:44 am

American Airlines changed my itinerary

Hi,

I booked a flight on aa.com to Madrid. The departing time was 10.30am. I received an email from aa.com this morning saying my itinerary has been changed. The new flight departs at 7am. It takes me close to 1.30hrs to get to the airport from home. Catching a 7am flight will be really inconvenient for me. I see there is another flight at 9am, but only economy flexible fares are available. Can I ask american airlines to put me on the 9am flight? Or ask them to pay for transportation to the airport, as I cannot ask any of my friends to wake up at 4am to drop me at the airport.

Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:10 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Sorry to hear about your situation, sktnyc. Since it pertains to AA, we'll shift this over to the AA forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz and AA forum co-moderator
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by sktnyc
Hi,

I booked a flight on aa.com to Madrid. The departing time was 10.30am. I received an email from aa.com this morning saying my itinerary has been changed. The new flight departs at 7am. It takes me close to 1.30hrs to get to the airport from home. Catching a 7am flight will be really inconvenient for me. I see there is another flight at 9am, but only economy flexible fares are available. Can I ask american airlines to put me on the 9am flight? Or ask them to pay for transportation to the airport, as I cannot ask any of my friends to wake up at 4am to drop me at the airport.

Thanks.
Since AA initiated the change and the time is greater than 30 min AA should put you on the 9am flight if there is availability. Or they will give you a full refund of your tivkets and you can book something else.

You need to call AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.