Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Old Aug 31, 11, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Hello guys!!!!

I booked 5 R/T international AA award tickets MIA-MAD and return MAD-MIA for March 2012 (200K AA miles). When I booked MAD to MIA was scheduled to arrive in MIA at 6:05 pm, I Just checked my schedules today and saw that MAD-MIA had removed my flight (AA53), they put me on flight AA69 which is arriving 3:30 hours earlier.

Can I cancel the my itinerary and get(redeposit) my miles back for free? or they will only refund me MAD-MIA leg? I booked 5 R/T not 10 O/W awards . If they do that, how long do I have to wait for my miles.

This could be great because I want to change my itinerary for June 2012, I know that I can do it for free but I don't want to use 300k AA miles from my account (5x60k). At that time I wanted have everything on one Record Locator... but I forgot that I have my GLD status until Feb 2012 (and I will not qualify for the next year ), so it doesn't make sense to me anymore (using my miles) when my family can use their own miles

Thank you!!!
Old Sep 2, 11, 1:33 am

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fedechat View Post
Hello guys!!!!

I booked 5 R/T international AA award tickets MIA-MAD and return MAD-MIA for March 2012 (200K AA miles). When I booked MAD to MIA was scheduled to arrive in MIA at 6:05 pm, I Just checked my schedules today and saw that MAD-MIA had removed my flight (AA53), they put me on flight AA69 which is arriving 3:30 hours earlier.

Can I cancel the my itinerary and get(redeposit) my miles back for free? or they will only refund me MAD-MIA leg? I booked 5 R/T not 10 O/W awards . If they do that, how long do I have to wait for my miles.

This could be great because I want to change my itinerary for June 2012, I know that I can do it for free but I don't want to use 300k AA miles from my account (5x60k). At that time I wanted have everything on one Record Locator... but I forgot that I have my GLD status until Feb 2012 (and I will not qualify for the next year ), so it doesn't make sense to me anymore (using my miles) when my family can use their own miles

Thank you!!!
Call up AA Customer Service and tell them that the 3+ hour schedule change does not work for you and you'd like to re-deposit all your miles without a fee. With that much of a schedule change you should have a pretty good chance of them agreeing to do the no-fee redeposit.

If they agree to a re-deposit with no fees, then you're free to re-book different dates (or even same dates) with other AA account miles. Just realize that if you book new tickets using miles from diff accounts, if you want to cancel/re-deposit at a later date you will be assessed the re-deposit fee in full on each ticket*.

(*Depending on how many tickets were "purchased" from each account)
Old Sep 2, 11, 7:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by mikelat View Post
if you want to cancel/re-deposit at a later date you will be assessed the re-deposit fee in full on each ticket*.

(*Depending on how many tickets were "purchased" from each account)
are you sure about this? I remember I only got charged $150 for canceling 3 tickets (same PNR).
Old Sep 2, 11, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Thank you mingw!!!

I know about the fee, I will have to book 3 PNR (2+2+1).
Old Oct 17, 11, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, SPG
AA Changed my flight / flight times, what are my options

I booked a flight from JFK with a stopover in LA to NRT. and then from there i have flights booked to Thailand and then back to JFK. For some reason AA decided to cancel the flight from LAX to NRT on the 27th of November and they put us on a flight to DFW then back to NRT.

The flight change would mean departing at 6AM which was way earlier than my previous flight and then arriving in NRT too close to my connection. The option offered by AA exec plat desk was that I cancel if it didnt work with my schedule.

Few things I am annoyed about this.

1.) they never notified me of the change. I was calling AA about another issue and it was at that point the system mentioned the'1 of my flights have had a schedule change'
2.) if i had originally booked this flight, it would have been cheaper. I don't get any credit for the difference
3.) If i were to change my plans and fly somewhere else, fares are way more expensive now and on top of that i have to change all my hotel/transportation and other airline fees which aren't refundable.

i know sometimes flight plans change or what not but it is still annoying. Just wanted to know if from user's experience there are additional options to me that I should fight for.

Maybe compensation of the difference or ability to somehow change the flight to another destination. My wife and I are both exec plat for 3 years running if that gives any leverage.

Thanks
Old Oct 17, 11, 3:55 pm

The LAX-NRT cancellation most likely has to do with the recent pilot shortage.

Have you tried calling back and asking AA to put you on the LAX-NRT non-stop flight on JL?
Old Oct 17, 11, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter View Post
The LAX-NRT cancellation most likely has to do with the recent pilot shortage.

Have you tried calling back and asking AA to put you on the LAX-NRT non-stop flight on JL?
i checked once and didnt think i would make my connection with that flight but let me check again.

Also i was trying to use up some of my SWU and on JAL I would be in coach.
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:02 pm

just checked again. JAL has 1 direct that would get me in at 4:55PM. I have a 6:00PM connection to BKK. I'm not sure if that is enough time
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
AA will give you the option of changing schedule, and even probably date, where you are impacted by schedule change. What they *won't* do is:

1. Change their flight schedule.

2. Give you a refund of what you *could* have booked it for.

3. Let you use an SWU on non-AA metal.

P.S. - There are exceptions to every rule. And this isn't pointed to the OP here, but only to those who ask this question expecting AA to create a new flight to meet their original schedule.
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Originally Posted by daapower View Post
just checked again. JAL has 1 direct that would get me in at 4:55PM. I have a 6:00PM connection to BKK. I'm not sure if that is enough time
Really depends on how lucky you are with ontime arrival, etc. I once made a 25 minute connection at NRT, with *lots* of free time, because UAL landed at one gate and departed from the gate next door.
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:14 pm

thanks that helps. I noticed JAL and AA are in the same terminal so maybe connection won't be too bad.
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA LT PLT
There is also CX: LAX-HKG-BKK
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA MM, DL PM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat
Isn't it great how airlines can change flights at will, and you have no recourse? Of course, if you voluntarily made the same choice, they would gouge you for hundreds of dollars in change fees...

OP, when this happens, you can often ask for any routing that will work for you. The airline won't move the world for you, but they can be very accommodating. I recommend coming up with a few more alternative flights (even on different days) and proposing those to AA. (I've even had airlines make space available that wasn't there before, but perhaps status helps with that.)
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
Isn't it great how airlines can change flights at will, and you have no recourse? Of course, if you voluntarily made the same choice, they would gouge you for hundreds of dollars in change fees...

OP, when this happens, you can often ask for any routing that will work for you. The airline won't move the world for you, but they can be very accommodating. I recommend coming up with a few more alternative flights (even on different days) and proposing those to AA. (I've even had airlines make space available that wasn't there before, but perhaps status helps with that.)
The first part sucks, but it's reality.

As to the second, I agree completely. While there are lot of things that AA don't have to do, I've found them very amenable to doing a bunch, especially if I provide the suggestions. Granted, we're EXP and probably get more leeway, but others (non-EXP) have also reported getting some pretty good treatment in these cases.

Knowing the available options is key.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:44 pm

i guess i got some homework tonight. The best options would be on partners which means no SWU but oh well.

Search this Thread