Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

 

Old Aug 31, 11, 6:50 pm
  #196  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Posts: 1,231
Hello guys!!!!

I booked 5 R/T international AA award tickets MIA-MAD and return MAD-MIA for March 2012 (200K AA miles). When I booked MAD to MIA was scheduled to arrive in MIA at 6:05 pm, I Just checked my schedules today and saw that MAD-MIA had removed my flight (AA53), they put me on flight AA69 which is arriving 3:30 hours earlier.

Can I cancel the my itinerary and get(redeposit) my miles back for free? or they will only refund me MAD-MIA leg? I booked 5 R/T not 10 O/W awards . If they do that, how long do I have to wait for my miles.

This could be great because I want to change my itinerary for June 2012, I know that I can do it for free but I don't want to use 300k AA miles from my account (5x60k). At that time I wanted have everything on one Record Locator... but I forgot that I have my GLD status until Feb 2012 (and I will not qualify for the next year ), so it doesn't make sense to me anymore (using my miles) when my family can use their own miles

Thank you!!!
fedechat is offline  
Old Sep 2, 11, 1:33 am
  #197  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,802
Originally Posted by fedechat View Post
Hello guys!!!!

I booked 5 R/T international AA award tickets MIA-MAD and return MAD-MIA for March 2012 (200K AA miles). When I booked MAD to MIA was scheduled to arrive in MIA at 6:05 pm, I Just checked my schedules today and saw that MAD-MIA had removed my flight (AA53), they put me on flight AA69 which is arriving 3:30 hours earlier.

Can I cancel the my itinerary and get(redeposit) my miles back for free? or they will only refund me MAD-MIA leg? I booked 5 R/T not 10 O/W awards . If they do that, how long do I have to wait for my miles.

This could be great because I want to change my itinerary for June 2012, I know that I can do it for free but I don't want to use 300k AA miles from my account (5x60k). At that time I wanted have everything on one Record Locator... but I forgot that I have my GLD status until Feb 2012 (and I will not qualify for the next year ), so it doesn't make sense to me anymore (using my miles) when my family can use their own miles

Thank you!!!
Call up AA Customer Service and tell them that the 3+ hour schedule change does not work for you and you'd like to re-deposit all your miles without a fee. With that much of a schedule change you should have a pretty good chance of them agreeing to do the no-fee redeposit.

If they agree to a re-deposit with no fees, then you're free to re-book different dates (or even same dates) with other AA account miles. Just realize that if you book new tickets using miles from diff accounts, if you want to cancel/re-deposit at a later date you will be assessed the re-deposit fee in full on each ticket*.

(*Depending on how many tickets were "purchased" from each account)
mikelat is offline  
Old Sep 2, 11, 7:48 am
  #198  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: AUS TUS
Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Posts: 993
Originally Posted by mikelat View Post
if you want to cancel/re-deposit at a later date you will be assessed the re-deposit fee in full on each ticket*.

(*Depending on how many tickets were "purchased" from each account)
are you sure about this? I remember I only got charged $150 for canceling 3 tickets (same PNR).
mingw is offline  
Old Sep 2, 11, 11:59 am
  #199  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Posts: 1,231
Thank you mingw!!!

I know about the fee, I will have to book 3 PNR (2+2+1).
fedechat is offline  
Old Oct 17, 11, 3:49 pm
  #200  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: AA Ex Plat, SPG
Posts: 54
AA Changed my flight / flight times, what are my options

I booked a flight from JFK with a stopover in LA to NRT. and then from there i have flights booked to Thailand and then back to JFK. For some reason AA decided to cancel the flight from LAX to NRT on the 27th of November and they put us on a flight to DFW then back to NRT.

The flight change would mean departing at 6AM which was way earlier than my previous flight and then arriving in NRT too close to my connection. The option offered by AA exec plat desk was that I cancel if it didnt work with my schedule.


Few things I am annoyed about this.

1.) they never notified me of the change. I was calling AA about another issue and it was at that point the system mentioned the'1 of my flights have had a schedule change'
2.) if i had originally booked this flight, it would have been cheaper. I don't get any credit for the difference
3.) If i were to change my plans and fly somewhere else, fares are way more expensive now and on top of that i have to change all my hotel/transportation and other airline fees which aren't refundable.



i know sometimes flight plans change or what not but it is still annoying. Just wanted to know if from user's experience there are additional options to me that I should fight for.

Maybe compensation of the difference or ability to somehow change the flight to another destination. My wife and I are both exec plat for 3 years running if that gives any leverage.

Thanks
daapower is offline  
Old Oct 17, 11, 3:55 pm
  #201  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,670
The LAX-NRT cancellation most likely has to do with the recent pilot shortage.

Have you tried calling back and asking AA to put you on the LAX-NRT non-stop flight on JL?
ckpeter is offline  
Old Oct 17, 11, 3:59 pm
  #202  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: AA Ex Plat, SPG
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by ckpeter View Post
The LAX-NRT cancellation most likely has to do with the recent pilot shortage.

Have you tried calling back and asking AA to put you on the LAX-NRT non-stop flight on JL?
i checked once and didnt think i would make my connection with that flight but let me check again.

Also i was trying to use up some of my SWU and on JAL I would be in coach.
daapower is offline  
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:02 pm
  #203  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: AA Ex Plat, SPG
Posts: 54
just checked again. JAL has 1 direct that would get me in at 4:55PM. I have a 6:00PM connection to BKK. I'm not sure if that is enough time
daapower is offline  
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:05 pm
  #204  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Posts: 4,952
AA will give you the option of changing schedule, and even probably date, where you are impacted by schedule change. What they *won't* do is:

1. Change their flight schedule.

2. Give you a refund of what you *could* have booked it for.

3. Let you use an SWU on non-AA metal.

P.S. - There are exceptions to every rule. And this isn't pointed to the OP here, but only to those who ask this question expecting AA to create a new flight to meet their original schedule.
sbrower is online now  
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:06 pm
  #205  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Posts: 4,952
Originally Posted by daapower View Post
just checked again. JAL has 1 direct that would get me in at 4:55PM. I have a 6:00PM connection to BKK. I'm not sure if that is enough time
Really depends on how lucky you are with ontime arrival, etc. I once made a 25 minute connection at NRT, with *lots* of free time, because UAL landed at one gate and departed from the gate next door.
sbrower is online now  
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:14 pm
  #206  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: AA Ex Plat, SPG
Posts: 54
thanks that helps. I noticed JAL and AA are in the same terminal so maybe connection won't be too bad.
daapower is offline  
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:17 pm
  #207  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA LT PLT
Posts: 18,824
There is also CX: LAX-HKG-BKK
SFO777 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:32 pm
  #208  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Programs: AA MM, DL PM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 3,026
Isn't it great how airlines can change flights at will, and you have no recourse? Of course, if you voluntarily made the same choice, they would gouge you for hundreds of dollars in change fees...

OP, when this happens, you can often ask for any routing that will work for you. The airline won't move the world for you, but they can be very accommodating. I recommend coming up with a few more alternative flights (even on different days) and proposing those to AA. (I've even had airlines make space available that wasn't there before, but perhaps status helps with that.)
mikew99 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:39 pm
  #209  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,401
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
Isn't it great how airlines can change flights at will, and you have no recourse? Of course, if you voluntarily made the same choice, they would gouge you for hundreds of dollars in change fees...

OP, when this happens, you can often ask for any routing that will work for you. The airline won't move the world for you, but they can be very accommodating. I recommend coming up with a few more alternative flights (even on different days) and proposing those to AA. (I've even had airlines make space available that wasn't there before, but perhaps status helps with that.)
The first part sucks, but it's reality.

As to the second, I agree completely. While there are lot of things that AA don't have to do, I've found them very amenable to doing a bunch, especially if I provide the suggestions. Granted, we're EXP and probably get more leeway, but others (non-EXP) have also reported getting some pretty good treatment in these cases.

Knowing the available options is key.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Oct 17, 11, 4:44 pm
  #210  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: AA Ex Plat, SPG
Posts: 54
i guess i got some homework tonight. The best options would be on partners which means no SWU but oh well.
daapower is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread