Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

 

Old Aug 4, 11, 11:45 pm
  #181  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: AUS
Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Posts: 5,698
Times have changed. In 2009 I had booked an AUS-STL trip (nonstop). When the schedule changed by about 5 minutes I was able to call and get a full refund. That allowed me to immediately rebook for about $25 less.
Stripe is offline  
Old Aug 5, 11, 9:00 am
  #182  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 59,785
I'm glad AA did their job and cooperated with you.

(One more shark diver here - even one big honkin' oceanic whitetip in Yap .)

Originally Posted by tiburontucson View Post
Not sure what mingw meant by "uhh... AA has free schedule change for award tickets..." but to clarify, AA allowed me to change my purchased leg (LAX to TUS) ..

JDiver: ;-) No sharks in Tucson
ME: diver in Tucson, esp. like diving w/ sharks, thus the name tiburontucson.

p.s. this trip is to the Solomon Islands to dive!
JDiver is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 2:35 pm
  #183  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Posts: 2,202
Schedule change can save me?

Booked award trip for sale price.

Can't go on trip now.

Dont want to pay redeposit fee.

Can't change for free after the end date of sale period.

If there's a schedule change will I be able to redeposit for free?
aubreyfromwheaton is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 2:39 pm
  #184  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton View Post
Booked award trip for sale price.

Can't go on trip now.

Dont want to pay redeposit fee.

Can't change for free after the end date of sale period.

If there's a schedule change will I be able to redeposit for free?
Only if it exceeds 90 minutes. Which is rare on AA IMHO. Many people come on here and say that they "don't want to pay." Of course you don't. But that doesn't mean that you aren't liable for paying if you want your miles back. Its that simple.
sts603 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 2:39 pm
  #185  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: dallas texas usa
Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Posts: 14,828
you can ask....just hope there's a change....wait, but don't forget to cancel before flight time....good luck...
clacko is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 2:41 pm
  #186  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Posts: 2,202
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
Only if it exceeds 90 minutes. Which is rare on AA IMHO. Many people come on here and say that they "don't want to pay." Of course you don't. But that doesn't mean that you aren't liable for paying if you want your miles back. Its that simple.
Thanks
aubreyfromwheaton is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 2:41 pm
  #187  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Slightly to the left of center
Posts: 3,413
When is your travel date? If far enough out is there a chance for another schedule change?
DBCme is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 2:42 pm
  #188  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Posts: 2,202
Originally Posted by clacko View Post
you can ask....just hope there's a change....wait, but don't forget to cancel before flight time....good luck...
Is it more expensive after flight time or not possible to reinstate/redeposit?
aubreyfromwheaton is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 3:00 pm
  #189  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: dallas texas usa
Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Posts: 14,828
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton View Post
Is it more expensive after flight time or not possible to reinstate/redeposit?
i'm not sure on an award, but for paid tickets you have to cancel before flight time....however, the rules change from time to time....if you want to wait til after the flight departs, check w/aa on the policy...
clacko is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 3:09 pm
  #190  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: AUS
Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Posts: 5,698
An existing flight probably won't change by 90 minutes. However, with the economy tanking (again) it's possible AA may revisit its upcoming schedule and drop some flights. Probably a better shot at that happening.

Also, I agree with the advice to wait as long as possible before cancelling, even up to just before flight time. A last minute delay or cancellation could be your savior. Happened to me at least once on NW.
Stripe is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 3:27 pm
  #191  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
An existing flight probably won't change by 90 minutes. However, with the economy tanking (again) it's possible AA may revisit its upcoming schedule and drop some flights. Probably a better shot at that happening.

Also, I agree with the advice to wait as long as possible before cancelling, even up to just before flight time. A last minute delay or cancellation could be your savior. Happened to me at least once on NW.
I wouldn't bet on a large pullback in travel this time around. And what the economy does, whether the economy enters another recession, etc. remains to be seen. The airlines are already running thin schedules. The idea that AA makes capacity reductions for the near-term in the near-term is highly unlikely.
sts603 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 3:30 pm
  #192  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,551
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
I wouldn't bet on a large pullback in travel this time around. And what the economy does, whether the economy enters another recession, etc. remains to be seen. The airlines are already running thin schedules. The idea that AA makes capacity reductions for the near-term in the near-term is highly unlikely.
And the cutbacks might be more surgical in nature. Like eliminating the mid day SFO/JFK flight on Saturdays.
newyorkgeorge is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 9:35 pm
  #193  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,799
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
An existing flight probably won't change by 90 minutes. However, with the economy tanking (again) it's possible AA may revisit its upcoming schedule and drop some flights. Probably a better shot at that happening.

Also, I agree with the advice to wait as long as possible before cancelling, even up to just before flight time. A last minute delay or cancellation could be your savior. Happened to me at least once on NW.
I dunno about that. I had 2 separate itineraries booked for Florida trips in January and both of them changed by 2+ hours this past week. Called up EXP desk and got my full refunds for the changes. Worked well since now some better flights are $200 less than what I booked that was changed.
mikelat is offline  
Old Aug 9, 11, 9:56 pm
  #194  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Posts: 9,700
Just an "FYI" for folks... I merged in about half a dozen recent threads into the existing consolidated thread on this topic. It does seem like most FTers do get resolution to their situations by following the advice proferred by members. Good work everyone! /Moderator
JY1024 is offline  
Old Aug 25, 11, 5:14 pm
  #195  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Posts: 2,202
What is the latest that an award can be redeposited? (MileSaaver)

Departure? (if so exactly when?)
1 year from ticketing?

Thanks in advance!
aubreyfromwheaton is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread