Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Old Mar 27, 11, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by cme2c View Post
Already in J on the way there and F on the way back.
Yes, well, in that case you probably have even less of a case (but a much better seat) .

Keep pushing on getting the city changed, since it really doesn't seem unreasonable. As a last resort, you could always ask them to cut the initial segment off your ticket (since this is an award) and get yourself to ORD either that morning or the night before.
Old Mar 27, 11, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Keep calling. AA should accommodate your request.
Old Mar 28, 11, 10:18 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Plat. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Just had my first outbound leg changed to a tight connection and called to change it to an earlier flight. First lady sad sorry if I do this you could loose your upgrades and the second lady said no problem there is availability in the class you need on the earlier flight so I can do it. To me, they should have done it without regard to availability as I had booked the earlier round of flights to begin with and it was there change. Call back.
Old Mar 28, 11, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I am very surprised that AA is not reaccomidating you here. Afterall, AA decided to change its schedule for its own choosing. They should be more than happy to reaccomidate you to a convenient time for you. Instead, they are rebooking you on a convenient time for them. The reason AA (and any large company in general) gets away with it is because customers lack bargaining power.
Old May 6, 11, 11:44 am

Kept calling every week or so when I had time to argue. Finally got them to give in. Didn't give me exactly what I wanted, but was a reasonable compromise. We now depart at 7PM from OMA the night before and overnight in ORD. They also changed our return leg to come into OMA instead of FSD.

Ironically, had another paid reservation that I had to book through work. Booked a separate reservation on aa.com for my father. When I called to have our reservations "linked" to get him exit row/upgrade request they wanted $25 since my reservation wasn't booked on aa.com. I didn't want to change the seat on mine, just his. "Nothing we can do...." Argghhhhh. I'll just do it at the airport next time I'm there.
Old Aug 2, 11, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Can I get refund if AA schedule changed?

Apologies, this post is not entirely Aadvantage related, but here goes:
Booked international AA award ticket TUS-LAX-NAN-HIR-and return HIR-NAN-LAX MINUS the LAX to TUS leg, because this last leg was unavailable. So I purchased this ticket on my own, separate ticket (that was my mistake, I know). When I booked, NAN to LAX was scheduled to arrive in LAX at 12:05 pm so I booked LAX to TUS departing 2:30 pm, giving enough time to clear customs and recheck bags. Just checked schedules today and see that not only is LAX to TUS flight scheduled to depart 30 mins earlier, NAN to LAX is arriving 1 hour later!

So, new schedule: arrive LAX 1:05 pm, depart LAX 1:55.

Impossible to make my connection now. They have a 8:30 pm departure but that's a 7 hr wait. Carriage terms state they are not responsible for schedule changes but WILL THEY refund my LAX to TUS ticket?

Found this schedule change rule 240/80, but doesn't look like this will help me nor does it apply.................

Thanks for any suggestions

"Schedule Change unacceptable to customer

A. If schedule change is from a nonstop to a connection or through flight; a refund to form of payment (FOP) is allowed by American Airlines.
B. If schedule change is from a through flight to a connecting flight, NO refund.
* EXCEPTION: see C and D and E below.

C. If schedule change or flight delay of 60 minutes or less NOT eligible for a refund.
D. If schedule change is 61-120 minutes, refund to voucher only is allowed by American Airlines.
E. If schedule change is greater than 120 minutes, refund of the remaining ticket to the original form of payment (FOP). All remaining coupons must be refunded by American Airlines. "
Old Aug 2, 11, 9:12 pm

Probably won't get a refund, we just had a schedule change of an hour ( I think ) on our tickets and we got vouchers for the full value but not a refund. Best thing is to call and see what can be worked out. Rules change frequently.
Old Aug 2, 11, 10:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
I think that you'll probably get a refund. This is one of those situations where they aren't obligated to give you one, since you're on separate tickets and teh LAX-TUS schedule change was relatively small on its own. However, AA is a reasonable company when it comes to somethign like this and it's obvious that you won't make your connection here so I'd think that they would change it for you. Just call and ask.
Old Aug 2, 11, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Just out of curiosity, OP, were you able to get TUS-LAX-NAN-HIR ticketing as a single North America-South Pacific award for 37.5K miles in Coach/62.5K miles in Business?
Old Aug 2, 11, 11:30 pm

TUS-LAX-NAN-HIR-NAN-LAX @ 90K in coach because routing necessitated >24h layover in Fiji (which cost an additional 20K on top of 70K R/T). Otherwise, yes, it would've been 37.5K one way.
Old Aug 3, 11, 12:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Same thing happened to me recently. I had booked two award tickets to fly SJU-SEA in October after a cruise. The cruise line said I shouldn't schedule anything before noon, so I chose a 12:15p AA flight.

When the flight schedule changed to around 11:30am, I called to cancel and plead my case for a cost-free miles reinstatement, since I was now out of compliance with what the cruise line would allow. No dice. The agent wouldn't budge, since the time change was less than an hour from its original time (the cruise line wouldn't budge, either -- they were adamant that my scheduled flight had to be after 12 noon).

I had no choice but to pay the fee to have my miles reinstated, and I booked two new (paid) tickets on Delta.

Last edited by Red L; Aug 3, 11 at 12:25 am
Old Aug 4, 11, 12:35 pm

Update: AA agent was extremely helpful, confirmed me on the later flight, w/o issue. No voucher for difference in price I paid vs price of later flight (later flight is $40 less), but I'm grateful they made the switch for me, since they were not "obligated" to do this due to schedule change being less than 1 hour. Kudos to AA !
Old Aug 4, 11, 12:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That's good to know - thanks for the followup, and good on AA. (Red L, I'd have followed the FlyerTalk Prime Directive - "call again".)

Tiburones in Tucson???

Originally Posted by tiburontucson View Post
Update: AA agent was extremely helpful, confirmed me on the later flight, w/o issue. No voucher for difference in price I paid vs price of later flight (later flight is $40 less), but I'm grateful they made the switch for me, since they were not "obligated" to do this due to schedule change being less than 1 hour. Kudos to AA !
Old Aug 4, 11, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
uhh... AA has free schedule change for award tickets...

Originally Posted by Red L View Post
Same thing happened to me recently. I had booked two award tickets to fly SJU-SEA in October after a cruise. The cruise line said I shouldn't schedule anything before noon, so I chose a 12:15p AA flight.

When the flight schedule changed to around 11:30am, I called to cancel and plead my case for a cost-free miles reinstatement, since I was now out of compliance with what the cruise line would allow. No dice. The agent wouldn't budge, since the time change was less than an hour from its original time (the cruise line wouldn't budge, either -- they were adamant that my scheduled flight had to be after 12 noon).

I had no choice but to pay the fee to have my miles reinstated, and I booked two new (paid) tickets on Delta.
Old Aug 4, 11, 6:35 pm

Not sure what mingw meant by "uhh... AA has free schedule change for award tickets..." but to clarify, AA allowed me to change my purchased leg (LAX to TUS) ..

JDiver: ;-) No sharks in Tucson
ME: diver in Tucson, esp. like diving w/ sharks, thus the name tiburontucson.

p.s. this trip is to the Solomon Islands to dive!

Search this Thread