Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Very unlikely. Usually changes need to be about 1 hour or create an illegal connection. Plus to get a 2nd stopover you'd have to be in a position to be unable to fly lax-SFO.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
Hi all, and Merry Christmas!

I have an upcoming booking in F SFO-MIA-MGA//-MIA-LAS (overnight in Vegas)-LAX-SFO. There have been five minute schedule changes on LAS-LAX and LAX-SFO. As such, would I be allowed to create a three day stopover in Vegas, and then take the same LAS-LAX-SFO a few days later?

I realise this is pushing my luck, but I'm just wondering how lenient AA are when it comes to schedule changes, and specifically how far I can push my luck...

Thanks AA FT folk...
I'd say the most likely answer is no. I don't see a justification for turning an overnight connection into a 3 day stopover out of a flight change.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Nothing attempted, nothing risked or gained.

You can try it, but the odds of success for such a minor schedule change are usually far from great for most AA customers.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Not that I'm advocating it, but any change in time for a domestic flight allows you to cancel and refund, if the change is unaccceptable to you, from what I read here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...ule_240_80.jsp

More than 90 mins - refund to FOP; less, refund to voucher. Of course, a cancel and rebook is probably not what you are really seeking....
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Not that I'm advocating it, but any change in time for a domestic flight allows you to cancel and refund, if the change is unaccceptable to you, from what I read here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...ule_240_80.jsp

More than 90 mins - refund to FOP; less, refund to voucher. Of course, a cancel and rebook is probably not what you are really seeking....
How would this apply to award travel?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by lolosmama
How would this apply to award travel?
Didn't say it would - another set of rules. OP stated booked in "F" - which I assumed, by the context of the question was restricted "F" - but I don't recall seeing that it was award travel.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Didn't say it would - another set of rules. OP stated booked in "F" - which I assumed, by the context of the question was restricted "F" - but I don't recall seeing that it was award travel.
It could have still been a standard F ticket. A stopover of 3 days at an intermediate city might not normally be the same fare as one that doesn't have a stopover.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:20 am

Programs: BA
Hi all, thanks for your feedback. It is in fact a paid restricted Business class ticket, withe international sectors in I class, and the domestics all in A.

I think the general concensus is it's probably not allowed, but it doesn't hurt to ask. So I'll gove them a ring when I'm back in the office on Wednesday. Fingers crossed! Will report back...
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:43 am

Hi all, just a quick update... I rang AA and spoke to a nice lady who said as the schedule change was so minor, the normal fare rules would apply and therefore a fee of $150 USD would apply.

The next day, I was at LHR for LX flight to ZRH, so popped across to T3 to ask at the ticket desk there. The lady happily moved us all onto the flights two days later and pressed confirm, but the machine said no and she rang her internal help desk, who quoted £154 GBP each to change!! I declined, so she then reinstated us back on the original flights (having now lost our seat assignments, no big deal as flight is very quiet so I went onto aa.com and re-did it). I can't help wondering though what would have happened if our original flights were full or overbooked and she couldn't get us back on them!

Anyway, upshot is no harm gained in trying, but no luck either. Thanks for your AAdvice guys!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Your best bet may be to buy a separate LAS-SFO ticket and throw away the LAS-LAX and LAX-SFO sectors. You should be able to get a non-stop flight on Virgin America, Southwest, and others for $69 plus tax (just under $80 with tax).
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by merrickdb
Your best bet may be to buy a separate LAS-SFO ticket and throw away the LAS-LAX and LAX-SFO sectors. You should be able to get a non-stop flight on Virgin America, Southwest, and others for $69 plus tax (just under $80 with tax).
We need to fly AA, but thanks anyway.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
We need to fly AA, but thanks anyway.
It's $69 on AA too (with the same connection in LAX that you now have). As much as I love frequent flyer miles and the EXP perks on AA, however, I'd take a non-stop on another carrier that takes half the time any day for such a short flight. And Southwest would still give you free checked bags if that's an issue (I don't know about VA baggage policies).
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:04 pm

It's $69 on AA too (with the same connection in LAX that you now have). As much as I love frequent flyer miles and the EXP perks on AA, however, I'd take a non-stop on another carrier that takes half the time any day for such a short flight. And Southwest would still give you free checked bags if that's an issue (I don't know about VA baggage policies).
We need AA F.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:11 pm

We need AA F.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
I have an itin that was booked on saver awards for both directions. the last leg is now scheduled for departure 40 minutes later than the original schedule. would i be allowed to cancel the entire return and be reissued the 12.5k miles per person (2)? I realize 90 minutes is required for original form of payment, and everything else is a voucher, but I'm not sure how I would be issued a voucher when I paid with miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.