ARCHIVE: Citi and Barclays Reduced Miles Award / Awards (consolidated)

 
Old Jul 10, 08, 6:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 453
ARCHIVE: Citi and Barclays Reduced Miles Award / Awards (consolidated)

anyone know what the link (or phone num) is to get the reduced mileage awards offered by citibank credit card? thanks..

Last edited by dstan; Mar 15, 13 at 1:38 pm Reason: moved mod note to wikipost
Andy100 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 08, 6:04 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by Andy100 View Post
anyone know what the link (or phone num) is to get the reduced mileage awards offered by citibank credit card? thanks..
https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/c...?screenID=1213
benjoe is offline  
Old Jul 12, 08, 11:34 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 453
thank you!
Andy100 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 08, 7:52 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
Posts: 255
I was very surprised to learn today that when using the Citibank reduced mileage award for international (Canada) travel, they will not allow you a stopover city like a regular non-reduced award allows you. I was told that if I wanted a stopver city I could use more of my miles for a regular award, but could not benefit from the Citibank promotion using less miles.
Oceanrider is offline  
Old Jul 23, 08, 8:26 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 13,179
Originally Posted by Oceanrider View Post
I was very surprised to learn today that when using the Citibank reduced mileage award for international (Canada) travel, they will not allow you a stopover city like a regular non-reduced award allows you. I was told that if I wanted a stopver city I could use more of my miles for a regular award, but could not benefit from the Citibank promotion using less miles.
I think that's always been the rule, no stopovers at all, not just to Canada.

It actually makes sense, otherwise you could go anywhere for the reduced mileage, given how flexible AA's regular award stopover rules are.

Example: I want to fly DFW-MIA. MIA is not on the list. But ATL is. So I ticket DFW-ATL, with a stopover in MIA (DFW-ATL-MIA-DFW), with 90 minutes at my destination in ATL and a week stopover in MIA.
swag is offline  
Old Aug 13, 08, 9:23 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 453
anyone know when the awards for the next quarter (Oct-Dec 2008) would be announced?
Andy100 is offline  
Old Aug 13, 08, 9:44 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MEL
Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Posts: 7,626
Originally Posted by Andy100 View Post
anyone know when the awards for the next quarter (Oct-Dec 2008) would be announced?
Typically they seem to release them at the very last minute. occasionally, it has been after the particular quarter has started.
CPMaverick is offline  
Old Aug 13, 08, 10:15 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 453
is it possible to ticket at 25K now and if the same award can be purchased at the 17.5K level (reduced award), then they credit back 7.5K miles. I dont think they will do it, but thought I would check with the FT experts..
Andy100 is offline  
Old Aug 13, 08, 10:27 am
  #9  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,497
Originally Posted by Andy100 View Post
is it possible to ticket at 25K now and if the same award can be purchased at the 17.5K level (reduced award), then they credit back 7.5K miles. I dont think they will do it, but thought I would check with the FT experts..
I've never tried it, but I would bet that the chances are very close to zero. The only way to do it would be to redeposit the 25K miles (paying the fee) and get the new award. Not worth it. It's just like a fare drop, and they won't refund the difference (without fees) in that case either.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Aug 13, 08, 11:08 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MEL
Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Posts: 7,626
Originally Posted by Andy100 View Post
is it possible to ticket at 25K now and if the same award can be purchased at the 17.5K level (reduced award), then they credit back 7.5K miles. I dont think they will do it, but thought I would check with the FT experts..
Yes. I booked a MTY itinerary for 30k, I called first and they told me it wouldn't be on the Citi reduced awards, and then when they were published, it became available for 22.5k.

So I called and complained, they refunded the ticket for free and rebooked it for 22.5k (I did have to pay the phone fee).

I did have to haggle a bit but the premise was that I booked it during a quarter when they were late publishing the reduced awards, and an agent told me that they had the list and MTY was not on it.

No guarantees if you try the same. It definitely wasn't a standard procedure.
CPMaverick is offline  
Old Aug 13, 08, 8:08 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami
Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Yes. I booked a MTY itinerary for 30k, I called first and they told me it wouldn't be on the Citi reduced awards, and then when they were published, it became available for 22.5k.

So I called and complained, they refunded the ticket for free and rebooked it for 22.5k (I did have to pay the phone fee).

I did have to haggle a bit but the premise was that I booked it during a quarter when they were late publishing the reduced awards, and an agent told me that they had the list and MTY was not on it.

No guarantees if you try the same. It definitely wasn't a standard procedure.
Did they initially tell you that you would have to redeposit the miles and pay the fee for that? If so, how difficult was it for you to get it waived?
pistonsdc is offline  
Old Aug 13, 08, 11:35 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 356
you can book the award online for regular miles but don't ticket it. Leave it on hold, call aadvantage desk and give them the citi reduced award code you are using and then ticket it on the phone, you will have to pay the phone fee. fee is in their terms and conditions.
lovetotravel is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 8:57 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami
Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Posts: 369
4Q is Available

I just called to find out when the 4Q awards were going to be available. I was told August 15. Hmm, that's 4 days ago. Why aren't they on the website?

Who knows, who cares, I guess. I was able to book an award using the code given to me by the agent. Figuring out the codes for yourself is not that hard either:

CBP183Q8 for 3Q Domestic Coach becomes CBP184Q8, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, they are now available! Happy Trails!!
pistonsdc is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 12:53 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tristram
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Posts: 902
Even though this is a different offer, just for reference I am putting in the link to the 10% discount that is available through Citi. I have used this on both paid and award bookings. Note that it can be used on the ground portion of a trip, as well as the air portion.
http://aavacations.com/jp_citidiscount.asp?ref=citi
ZeppoX is offline  
Old Aug 19, 08, 5:49 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, Marriott Plat Premier Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,842
Originally Posted by pistonsdc View Post
I just called to find out when the 4Q awards were going to be available. I was told August 15. Hmm, that's 4 days ago. Why aren't they on the website?

Who knows, who cares, I guess. I was able to book an award using the code given to me by the agent. Figuring out the codes for yourself is not that hard either:

CBP183Q8 for 3Q Domestic Coach becomes CBP184Q8, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, they are now available! Happy Trails!!
What are the cities!?
joelfreak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: