FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Citi and Barclays Reduced Miles Award / Awards (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1717880-archive-citi-barclays-reduced-miles-award-awards-consolidated.html)

Andy100 Jul 10, 2008 5:01 pm

ARCHIVE: Citi and Barclays Reduced Miles Award / Awards (consolidated)

anyone know what the link (or phone num) is to get the reduced mileage awards offered by citibank credit card? thanks..

benjoe Jul 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Andy100 (Post 10014891)
anyone know what the link (or phone num) is to get the reduced mileage awards offered by citibank credit card? thanks..

https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/c...?screenID=1213

Andy100 Jul 12, 2008 10:34 am

thank you!

Oceanrider Jul 23, 2008 6:52 pm

I was very surprised to learn today that when using the Citibank reduced mileage award for international (Canada) travel, they will not allow you a stopover city like a regular non-reduced award allows you. I was told that if I wanted a stopver city I could use more of my miles for a regular award, but could not benefit from the Citibank promotion using less miles.

swag Jul 23, 2008 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Oceanrider (Post 10087382)
I was very surprised to learn today that when using the Citibank reduced mileage award for international (Canada) travel, they will not allow you a stopover city like a regular non-reduced award allows you. I was told that if I wanted a stopver city I could use more of my miles for a regular award, but could not benefit from the Citibank promotion using less miles.

I think that's always been the rule, no stopovers at all, not just to Canada.

It actually makes sense, otherwise you could go anywhere for the reduced mileage, given how flexible AA's regular award stopover rules are.

Example: I want to fly DFW-MIA. MIA is not on the list. But ATL is. So I ticket DFW-ATL, with a stopover in MIA (DFW-ATL-MIA-DFW), with 90 minutes at my destination in ATL and a week stopover in MIA.

Andy100 Aug 13, 2008 8:23 am

anyone know when the awards for the next quarter (Oct-Dec 2008) would be announced?

CPMaverick Aug 13, 2008 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Andy100 (Post 10194950)
anyone know when the awards for the next quarter (Oct-Dec 2008) would be announced?

Typically they seem to release them at the very last minute. occasionally, it has been after the particular quarter has started. :td:

Andy100 Aug 13, 2008 9:15 am

is it possible to ticket at 25K now and if the same award can be purchased at the 17.5K level (reduced award), then they credit back 7.5K miles. I dont think they will do it, but thought I would check with the FT experts..

brp Aug 13, 2008 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Andy100 (Post 10195303)
is it possible to ticket at 25K now and if the same award can be purchased at the 17.5K level (reduced award), then they credit back 7.5K miles. I dont think they will do it, but thought I would check with the FT experts..

I've never tried it, but I would bet that the chances are very close to zero. The only way to do it would be to redeposit the 25K miles (paying the fee) and get the new award. Not worth it. It's just like a fare drop, and they won't refund the difference (without fees) in that case either.

Cheers.

CPMaverick Aug 13, 2008 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Andy100 (Post 10195303)

Yes. I booked a MTY itinerary for 30k, I called first and they told me it wouldn't be on the Citi reduced awards, and then when they were published, it became available for 22.5k.

So I called and complained, they refunded the ticket for free and rebooked it for 22.5k (I did have to pay the phone fee).

I did have to haggle a bit but the premise was that I booked it during a quarter when they were late publishing the reduced awards, and an agent told me that they had the list and MTY was not on it.

No guarantees if you try the same. It definitely wasn't a standard procedure.

pistonsdc Aug 13, 2008 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 10195686)
Yes. I booked a MTY itinerary for 30k, I called first and they told me it wouldn't be on the Citi reduced awards, and then when they were published, it became available for 22.5k.

So I called and complained, they refunded the ticket for free and rebooked it for 22.5k (I did have to pay the phone fee).

I did have to haggle a bit but the premise was that I booked it during a quarter when they were late publishing the reduced awards, and an agent told me that they had the list and MTY was not on it.

No guarantees if you try the same. It definitely wasn't a standard procedure.

Did they initially tell you that you would have to redeposit the miles and pay the fee for that? If so, how difficult was it for you to get it waived?

lovetotravel Aug 13, 2008 10:35 pm

you can book the award online for regular miles but don't ticket it. Leave it on hold, call aadvantage desk and give them the citi reduced award code you are using and then ticket it on the phone, you will have to pay the phone fee. fee is in their terms and conditions.

pistonsdc Aug 19, 2008 7:57 am

4Q is Available

I just called to find out when the 4Q awards were going to be available. I was told August 15. Hmm, that's 4 days ago. Why aren't they on the website?

Who knows, who cares, I guess. I was able to book an award using the code given to me by the agent. Figuring out the codes for yourself is not that hard either:

CBP183Q8 for 3Q Domestic Coach becomes CBP184Q8, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, they are now available! Happy Trails!!

ZeppoX Aug 19, 2008 11:53 am

Even though this is a different offer, just for reference I am putting in the link to the 10% discount that is available through Citi. I have used this on both paid and award bookings. Note that it can be used on the ground portion of a trip, as well as the air portion.
http://aavacations.com/jp_citidiscount.asp?ref=citi

joelfreak Aug 19, 2008 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by pistonsdc (Post 10225083)
I just called to find out when the 4Q awards were going to be available. I was told August 15. Hmm, that's 4 days ago. Why aren't they on the website?

Who knows, who cares, I guess. I was able to book an award using the code given to me by the agent. Figuring out the codes for yourself is not that hard either:

CBP183Q8 for 3Q Domestic Coach becomes CBP184Q8, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, they are now available! Happy Trails!!

What are the cities!?