FLL: TSA PreCheck on Boarding Passes Not Scanning

Old Oct 14, 15, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold
FLL: TSA PreCheck on Boarding Passes Not Scanning

Flying out of FLL today. My printed boarding pass from the ticket counter could not be read by ANY of the TSA machines booting me out of precheck. TSA says its an American issue. American says its old barcode on new ticket stock. Anybody else with this issue?
Old Oct 14, 15, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Though I have not run into this issue, this is why I always use the mobile boarding pass for TSA. Have seen countless other pax be sent back to the ticket counters when their kiosk/online check-in/counter issued BPs wouldn't scan.
Old Oct 14, 15, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, SPG/MR Gold, HH Gold
I had an iPhone boarding pass that wouldn't scan a few weeks ago, had to go all the way back and get a kiosk boarding pass.
Old Oct 14, 15, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless I'm short on time I always get a kiosk printed BP for TSA. Seen too many people turned back to kiosks because IPhone BP can't be read.
Old Oct 14, 15, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Unless I'm short on time I always get a kiosk printed BP for TSA. Seen too many people turned back to kiosks because IPhone BP can't be read.
And this was a BP printed from the desk.
Old Oct 15, 15, 1:12 am

I routinely fly out of FLL. You should be happy they even HAVE that pre-check line for Concourse E OPEN, IMO. I just hope it is STILL open next week when I'm flying again.
Old Oct 15, 15, 4:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
I recently had the same issue at the post-customs security at MIA. Very annoying. Had to go through "regular" security. Ugh!
Old Oct 15, 15, 5:18 am
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
TWO is better than one<g>

I print a bp from home/hotel AND from a kiosk when I arrive at the airport; it is less likely (though still possible) that TWO independently printed bps will both be unreadable!
Old Oct 15, 15, 6:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
When that occurs, it is always due to the screen brightness being too low. That's why the Apple Wallet (Passbook prior to iOS 9) app automatically turns the brightness to maximum when the app is opened. Passengers should generally use that BP instead of the one generated by the airline app.
Old Oct 15, 15, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The only problem I've ever encountered was a self-evident fleck of dirt on the TSA reader which must have been right where my barcode scanned. I asked the Officer if he or I could wipe the thing off. He did, I rescanned and I was off.
Old Oct 15, 15, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The only problem I've ever encountered was a self-evident fleck of dirt on the TSA reader which must have been right where my barcode scanned. I asked the Officer if he or I could wipe the thing off. He did, I rescanned and I was off.
You got good eye! Though depending on the officer...some of them does not like passenger to tell them what to do.
Old Oct 15, 15, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Bootman4U View Post
I routinely fly out of FLL. You should be happy they even HAVE that pre-check line for Concourse E OPEN, IMO. I just hope it is STILL open next week when I'm flying again.
Agreed. T3 has become a very busy terminal and the Pre-Check hours do not align in any meaningful way with actual passenger volumes.
Old Oct 15, 15, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hertz Five Star
Agree, I always walk down to Concourse F to get the Pre-Check.
Old Oct 15, 15, 10:11 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
I always have both. Use App to check in and then print at Kiosk to have another copy. Good for this reason and also if for some reason my battery dies, I have paper.
Old Oct 15, 15, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Though it may or may not have helped in this case, turning the brightness of the phone up to a setting in the top third of brightness tends to help with both TSA and gate readers in my experience. I've had almost no issues since learning to do this as I often keep the brightness lower for normal use to save battery.

Search this Thread