Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Odd reason for delay - First Officer missing pages in his book?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd reason for delay - First Officer missing pages in his book?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: AADULtArer
For those wondering why you can't go to Staples to photocopy stuff like this....the reason the airline industry operates at six sigma safety is you can't make up stuff that " seems reasonable". You have to follow the procedure.
To get to six sigma, you have to eliminate the cascade of six things that go wrong. Each one of them seems insignificant, like a piece of paper, but they are not.

The hole punched load sheet takes out the leading digit on the load factor.
The PIC doesn't notice the error and punches it in.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by JDiver
Maintenance must sign off on the log, the log must be on the aircraft.

It has been mentioned more than once that the mechanics are among those without signed contracts, and that some have seen evidence of lengthy parts recovery times and lengthy "log sitting" times as well. I've witnessed delays as long as ~1 hour where maintenance had finalized repairs, but could not or would not produce the log and turn it over to cockpit crew.
Sitting on the logbook is a well worn tool for conveying union displeasure over the status of negotiations. Not a cancellation and not an epic stranding of passengers (5 hrs on the tarmac!), but just long enough to send a message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.