Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Mother-in-Law going on AA from YYZ to PVR - will checkin agent allow her to board?

Mother-in-Law going on AA from YYZ to PVR - will checkin agent allow her to board?

Old Oct 12, 15, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum

My mother-in-law will be going with my sister-in-law from YYZ to PVR via DFW on American Airlines.

My sister-in-law is a Canadian citizen- no issues there.

The issue is my mother-in-law. Indian citizen/passport holder - Canadian permanent and holder of US 10 multi-entry tourist/visitor's visa.

By the Mexican visa and Mexican embassy (both for Canada and for India) web sites, the 2 criteria listed above exempt her from requiring a visa to enter Mexico. But the average Indian citizen visiting Mexico as a tourist does need a visa.

The question is whether she would be allowed by the American airlines check-in/gate agent to board, if they think she will not be allowed entry to Mexico without a visa.

PS-although this has no relevance for her entry to USA, she does have nexus/global entry.
Old Oct 12, 15, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
My mother-in-law will be going with my sister-in-law from YYZ to PVR via DFW on American Airlines.

My sister-in-law is a Canadian citizen- no issues there.

The issue is my mother-in-law. Indian citizen/passport holder - Canadian permanent and holder of US 10 multi-entry tourist/visitor's visa.

By the Mexican visa and Mexican embassy (both for Canada and for India) web sites, the 2 criteria listed above exempt her from requiring a visa to enter Mexico. But the average Indian citizen visiting Mexico as a tourist does need a visa.

The question is whether she would be allowed by the American airlines check-in/gate agent to board, if they think she will not be allowed entry to Mexico without a visa.

PS-although this has no relevance for her entry to USA, she does have nexus/global entry.
Enter your mother-in-law's data into the Timatic engine, and see what it spits out. That is what the AA agent at YYZ will likely see.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...sa-and-health/
Old Oct 12, 15, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Yes, that tool does say that she can enter Mexico if she is a Canadian permanent resident (which she is). It does not say that a holder of a valid US visa can also enter Mexico- which she also has, but does not need, because she is a permanent Canadian resident.

It does say that she needs a US visa to transit USA - which she has.

I wonder if the agent will go to the Star Alliance web site - I wonder if One World has a similar link?
Old Oct 12, 15, 11:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post
Yes, that tool does say that she can enter Mexico if she is a Canadian permanent resident (which she is). It does not say that a holder of a valid US visa can also enter Mexico- which she also has, but does not need, because she is a permanent Canadian resident.

It does say that she needs a US visa to transit USA - which she has.

I wonder if the agent will go to the Star Alliance web site - I wonder if One World has a similar link?
You're only seeing an iteration of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) TimaticWeb as provided through UA. The AA agent will use IATA TimaticWeb direct - no difference, no need for a putative "oneworld version" because it's all IATA TimaticWeb, no versions or differences. Same source, same engine and what the airlines use when clearing you to fly. See http://www.iata.org/publications/tim...uirements.aspx

*All these sites are based on the original version of TimaticWeb.
In case you get a semi-competent agent, you may want to print out the results you get and be prepared with calm firmness, including a possible necessity of requesting a supervisor.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 12, 15 at 11:15 am
Old Oct 13, 15, 1:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
As long as the agent correctly inputs the country of residence as Canada and not India in the automated travel document verification system, you should have no issues.
Old Oct 13, 15, 5:56 pm
dll

Programs: AA EX PLT; Marriott Plt; *wood Plt
I would also add that she may wish to bring along a printed copy of the Timatic info with her. I experienced a trip last week to SE Asia (via Beijing) that involved two separate carriers and itineraries, although it was a perfectly legal connection and required no visa for China.

The operator for the first segment did not want to check me in as they were reading the rules different than I was. I had a print out and walked them through it and they eventually agreed and checked me in.

I believe they had entered my information wrong into Timatic which caused them to want to deny boarding. Printouts are always helpful in these semi-complex scenarios.

Search this Thread